Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butcher - Review

Default Butcher - Review

Caution to those who may be considering using ****************for game processing.

Here is some feedback based on my first (and last) experience with them.

I used **************to process two animals, one caribou and one moose. My experience was horrible and I could never recommend this business to anyone for a variety of reasons.

On my caribou order I asked if they could make as much stew meat as possible out of the misc pieces instead of turning it into burger. The woman taking the order said they could and indicated that on the order form. Additionally I ordered 20lbs of pepperoni and 20lbs of breakfast sausage and asked that anything that couldn't be turned into stew or these products after steaks, roasts and ribs were processed be ground. The woman taking the order assured me this would happen and drew up the order form as such.

When I picked up the order I had no stew meat, 40lbs of pepperoni and 49lbs of breakfast sausage and a bill that was $140 dollars more than anticipated as a result of the larger quantity of the more expensive products. In the meantime I'd dropped off a moose for processing with them.

When I went in to pick up the moose I brought my caribou paperwork in and presented the problem to the owner, presumably Lisa. Not only was she not sympathetic to the situation she insisted that it was somehow my fault for not catching their error and that she wasn't willing to offer anything to make it right. She eventually offered to take back the extra product and give me $97 dollars worth of someone else's burger in exchange, which I had no interest in. I wanted my meat and to be compensated for the extra charge I hadn't committed to. As an aside. I'm not sure how they uphold their 100% "your meat back guarantee" while giving away people's burger to fix their errors.

So she wouldn't budge on the refund request. I remained tactful throughout and ended the conversation by informing her that she would be losing my business and recommendation to which she replied she didn't need or want my business anyhow. Her tone and attitude throughout was insulting at best.

I picked up my moose order and immediately noticed that it seemed like there was a huge amount of burger and not as many roasts and steaks as I would expect for a large bull and compared to past animals I've harvested. In looking through the meat I found about 9 pounds of backstrap and two small packages of tenderloin. I have no idea where the other 20+ pounds of backstrap and 10+ pounds of tenderloin went that should have been there. Either they kept them for themselves or ground them into burger. Either way I'm missing a huge amount of the finest meat on the animal.

None of the meat I picked up was frozen either making me wonder how long it had been sitting outside of the fridge or freezer over the week that it was in their care.

After all of this was clear I tried to stop payment on the check that I'd written them a few hours earlier and the bank said they had already cashed it, which leads me to believe that this is not the first time they have screwed someone over and run to the bank.

I am extremely disappointed that not only did this company steal money and possibly meat from me, they are seemingly fairly well practiced at it and definitely don't care about running a quality business or retaining customers.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 09-11-2016 at 17:14.

Thanks for the insight and just based on this word of mouth is enough for me to no longer do business there!! I am sick of AMERICANS bending over AMERICANS!!
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Interesting review! We have used ************for well over a decade and have always been treated good. Wonder what is happening there?

My butcher gives me exactly what I want and it doesn't cost me anything, save for a few hours labor.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Sorry for the deletions guys but negative comments on businesses aren't allowed per forum rules.

Unless it's in the power boating section?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being Built (27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse)
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    Boat Name is PRIME TIME!

If it pleases the mods I'd be happy to remove and adjective or two and turn my "negative comments" into a factual report of what happened, leaving it to the reader to draw their own conclusions about whether the review is positive or negative.

Perhaps then the name of the business (in Wasilla) could be included?
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-12-2016 at 09:54.

My question is WHY do people take in the tenderloins and back straps ? I keep them because I TRUST NOBODY!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I typically don't either Roger. I've always pulled the goods in the past but this time around I was on a tight timeline after pulling an all-nighter getting the moose out of the woods. Had to get back to work and didn't have time to deal with things appropriately. Another tough lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeyG View Post
    If it pleases the mods I'd be happy to remove and adjective or two and turn my "negative comments" into a factual report of what happened, leaving it to the reader to draw their own conclusions about whether the review is positive or negative.

Perhaps then the name of the business (in Wasilla, rhymes with ....... Beets) could be included?
    Beets ~ Never been a fan of beets.

All kidding aside, thanks for the heads up.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by ColeyG View Post
    Caution to those who may be considering using ****************for game processing.

Here is some feedback based on my first (and last) experience with them.

I used **************to process two animals, one caribou and one moose. My experience was horrible and I could never recommend this business to anyone for a variety of reasons.

On my caribou order I asked if they could make as much stew meat as possible out of the misc pieces instead of turning it into burger. The woman taking the order said they could and indicated that on the order form. Additionally I ordered 20lbs of pepperoni and 20lbs of breakfast sausage and asked that anything that couldn't be turned into stew or these products after steaks, roasts and ribs were processed be ground. The woman taking the order assured me this would happen and drew up the order form as such.

When I picked up the order I had no stew meat, 40lbs of pepperoni and 49lbs of breakfast sausage and a bill that was $140 dollars more than anticipated as a result of the larger quantity of the more expensive products. In the meantime I'd dropped off a moose for processing with them.

When I went in to pick up the moose I brought my caribou paperwork in and presented the problem to the owner, presumably Lisa. Not only was she not sympathetic to the situation she insisted that it was somehow my fault for not catching their error and that she wasn't willing to offer anything to make it right. She eventually offered to take back the extra product and give me $97 dollars worth of someone else's burger in exchange, which I had no interest in. I wanted my meat and to be compensated for the extra charge I hadn't committed to. As an aside. I'm not sure how they uphold their 100% "your meat back guarantee" while giving away people's burger to fix their errors.

So she wouldn't budge on the refund request. I remained tactful throughout and ended the conversation by informing her that she would be losing my business and recommendation to which she replied she didn't need or want my business anyhow. Her tone and attitude throughout was insulting at best.

I picked up my moose order and immediately noticed that it seemed like there was a huge amount of burger and not as many roasts and steaks as I would expect for a large bull and compared to past animals I've harvested. In looking through the meat I found about 9 pounds of backstrap and two small packages of tenderloin. I have no idea where the other 20+ pounds of backstrap and 10+ pounds of tenderloin went that should have been there. Either they kept them for themselves or ground them into burger. Either way I'm missing a huge amount of the finest meat on the animal.

None of the meat I picked up was frozen either making me wonder how long it had been sitting outside of the fridge or freezer over the week that it was in their care.

After all of this was clear I tried to stop payment on the check that I'd written them a few hours earlier and the bank said they had already cashed it, which leads me to believe that this is not the first time they have screwed someone over and run to the bank.

I am extremely disappointed that not only did this company steal money and possibly meat from me, they are seemingly fairly well practiced at it and definitely don't care about running a quality business or retaining customers.
    I got skrewed by this person one really good time after years of pretty decent service.. It was for similar reasons such as yours... It was the straw that broke the camels back... So now I'm strictly doing ALL of my meat by myself these days...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    ... So now I'm strictly doing ALL of my meat by myself these days...
    You know what they say.... nobody will handle your meat like you do.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Why would you drop off the tloins and bstraps with a processor?? I do my own, even if i have to freeze it before final process.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Unless it's in the power boating section?

Fair question, Rob. I'm reaching out to the business in question in that thread and we're working through how to approach that one. We try to be consistent with our forum rules, but there is a reality that sometimes there are shades of gray.

I know Brian. You guys do a great job catching as much as you can. Too many sub groups to read them all.

Being Built (27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse)
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    Boat Name is PRIME TIME!

please pm me and let me knwo who you used thanks
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I had a surprise from the same place, almost double the price of what was expected, and not as tasty of sausage as comes from mat valley, I will definately go to mikes in eagle river in the future. She has really let her quality slip in the last few years. Places I will continue to go and recommend, mike's meats, Indian valley, and last choice mat valley meats.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

I this the place by pittman road
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I will only process my own from now on. This year I did several caribou and a moose as well as a buddies caribou and everything turned out fantastic. No question as to whether it was mine or not. I know that its not always practical for people to do their own but if enough unsatisfied customers leave then their service won't be required and they won't be able to screw anyone.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    I had a surprise from the same place, almost double the price of what was expected, and not as tasty of sausage as comes from mat valley, I will definately go to mikes in eagle river in the future. She has really let her quality slip in the last few years. Places I will continue to go and recommend, mike's meats, Indian valley, and last choice mat valley meats.
    Mikes is not doing game processing anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast