Thread: Grizzly hunt with BRWNBR

Default Grizzly hunt with BRWNBR

I finally got around to writing a report after being home for a week. I went on a 10 day grizzly hunt with Black River Hunting Camps owned and operated by Jake Jefferson.
    The day we were to fly out was a no go due to weather so I spent that day in a motel. We were able to fly the next day and in the afternoon we arrived at camp. We spent the day getting camp setup, checking rifles. and just generally getting to know each other. I would like to add here that Jake is a very likable sort of guy and a real pleasure to share a camp with. That night it started raining and in the morning it was still coming down along with a thick fog. So It was another day spent in the tent talking and listening to Jake's stories, which are very entertaining.
    The next morning dawned clear and we were finally off for the hunt. We hiked about 1 1/2 miles out to a lookout where we spent a few hours glassing seeing only one black bear. Then we moved out another mile to a different spot where Jake spotted a large black which was in an area we couldn't get to. The next thing we saw were two lone grizzly cubs who evidently lost their mom, since they were so small, Jake didn't think they would survive the winter. Around an hour later there was a lone grizzly feeding on berries a distance away. After watching it for a while we decided to see if we could get closer but since the wind was wrong we had to circle out quite a distance. we were about half way there when we spotted another grizzly in the same general area. We got into position and waited but neither of them showed back up.
    The next two days we went back to the same area, we saw the cubs both days, several blacks, a brief view of one of the grizzlies, and 5 or 6 caribou everyday.
    The following day we went in another direction to a different lookout about 2 1/2 mile away. It yielded some beautiful scenery, four blacks sighted, and a couple moose.
    The next morning it was blowing 35-40 mph and around freezing. Jake thought we should wait until it warmed up a little which was FINE with me! We headed out at 9:30 back to the area we hunted the first three days. Jake was ahead of me when he stopped, glassed, and said grizzly. We couldn't have been more that 400 yards from camp. I looked around him and 300 yards out, walking right at us was the prettiest grizzly I have ever seen. Ok, ok, so I have only ever seen 5 but still.
    We scrambled up the hill to get a better vantage point since Jake thought it was going to go that way. By the time I caught up he had his backpack down and told me to get behind it and get ready. I was no sooner down when it came in to view walking right at us. Jake said it wasn't real big and I answered "I don't give a s...", he said good! When it got to about 130 yards it stopped quartering toward, and looking straight at us. Jake said "take it". I heard the slug hit and it took off to our left like a scalded cat. He said hit it again which I managed to do and it was all over except for the high fives and thanking God for such a gift.
    Turned out to be a five year old sow. It's not the biggest, but as stated earlier, has a beautiful coat.
    I couldn't be happier with her. She is already at the taxidermist waiting to be turned into a life size mount.
    I can't give enough praise to Jake. I feel he truly wants to make his clients wishes and dreams come true as much as they do.
    It was a pleasure getting to meet his wife, family, and getting to know this outstanding individual. When I left I felt like I was leaving as a friend, not a client. Thanks again Jake!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful bear you have there,congrats. Never met Jake but know he is a great guy and guide.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Excellent write-up! Thanks for taking the time to bring us along on the journey. Sounds like a wonderful adventure!

Gorgeous bear! Never met Jake, but he is always helpful around here. I owe him a drink for my 375 load......
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

She sure is pretty that's for sure....congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Absolutely outstanding!
    STARRFLIGHT shooting staff
    What's a FOB?...visit http://www.starrflight.com

Beautiful bear. Sounds like a great hunt with a lot of game to enjoy. Nice shooting.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I worked with a few guides over the years and know quite a bit more and if I were ever going to put it out there and recommend a guide Jake would be at the top of a short list. Congrats on a great hunt. Lifetime of memories right there

Nice to see reports from Jake's clients on here, congrats!

Jake never let's you get bored on a hunt. His quick wit and fun jabs (he hates short mags) make the days entertaining. I can't wait to go on a deer hunt on kodiak with him. He said it's a relaxing fun hunt so I'm bringing a relative to enjoy it with. Maybe even get lucky and draw a brown bear tag.

And don't ever tell him his 416 makes his butt look big
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Great looking bear. What was your rifle/cartridge setup?

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Regardless the answer to this question you need to keep this in mind. This was a guided hunt. With a 416 in very capable hands standing behind them. There is a reason most Alaskans on non guided hunts are way over gunned for their targeted species.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    .375 H&H 270 GR. TSX Worked like a charm. Caught her in the left shoulder and angled through, dead but didn't know it. Second shot was just insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Regardless the answer to this question you need to keep this in mind. This was a guided hunt. With a 416 in very capable hands standing behind them. There is a reason most Alaskans on non guided hunts are way over gunned for their targeted species.
    What he said.

What's wrong with my butt?? Yoga pants and extra tuffs make it look fit I thought?!?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. Certainly a trip I will remember the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by schall53 View Post
    Thanks guys for all the nice comments. Certainly a trip I will remember the rest of my life.
    Time to start planning on the next hunting memory. We're not getting any younger!

I agree snocross.