Thread: Taxidermists.. chime in please.

Default Taxidermists.. chime in please.

Took my first grizz a few days ago. Prior to that I've read up on how to skin for a rug. I feel did a great job for the 1st one.

I did not skin the head or feet as my confidence wasn't up to par for that task and I knew I had a freezer close by. He was in the freezer, wrapped inside out, within 6 hours of kill.

So question.. should I thaw, skin the head and paws, then get him sealed or bring to a taxidermist and hope he/she gets it done in time to seal it? I'd prefer the latter.. but I also don't want to bother the taxidermist during the busy season.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Ask your taxi if thru are able to seal brown bears, a lot of them can't. If you take it to f&g they need the skull removed to take measurements and pull atootg, and also need to verify the sex. So the entire hide needs to be thawed out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In my experience, many taxidermists are happy to skin the head and feet for customers as it ensures that it gets done correctly. Call ahead and discuss it with your taxidermist. Thaw it at home, then bring it over at a predetermined time. Your taxidermist will have the job done in very little time, after which you can take it to F&G for sealing. That's likely the approach that I would take in your situation.

On a side note - nice job on the bear!

Bring it in & I can get it skinned & sealed for you, & get the fleshing done so it can be tanned.

I do NOT charge for Skinning or fleshing.

The sooner you get in line the sooner you get it back. Really has nothing to do with the busy season if your a full time taxidermist.

That is a Beautiful bear & will make a great rug.

Give me a call.

We are open 7 days a week & ALL work is done here in my studio.

Payments OK.

My Website is ww.protaxidermy.com

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

I seal bears in my shop and all fur bearers in Ak., I'll take the head out as you watch and learn. Head must be thawed out so it can be skinned, measured, tooth extracted and seal placed accordingly.,

Jesse
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Ask about fleshing costs, getting the head paws hide fleshed can cost you over 300 bucks. Some places charge for them to do the sealing for you too. It all adds up.
    Rj, you don't charge for fleshing because it's included in tanning/taxidermy rates or you just enjoy fleshing?
    What's your tanning price on grizzly? Couldn't find any prices on your websight.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Ask about fleshing costs, getting the head paws hide fleshed can cost you over 300 bucks. Some places charge for them to do the sealing for you too. It all adds up.
    Rj, you don't charge for fleshing because it's included in tanning/taxidermy rates or you just enjoy fleshing?
    What's your tanning price on grizzly? Couldn't find any prices on your websight.
    If I recall I'm pretty sure he told me he won't flesh or tan unless he does the mount.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I do NOT charge to remove Feet, Head, Or even Skin the whole animal>>>> IF WE ARE MOUNTING THE ANIMAL<<<<.

My Wife skinned a 400lb Grizz in the back of the guys pickup because I was out sheep hunting.

Why is simple, I would rather have it done Right instead of fixing some problem that could take hours to fix.

Such as the Entire Eye Rings left on the skull of a brown bear instead of attached to the skin where it is suppose to be,

Or the Whole skin in one hand & the Head in the other, Now I have to tan & sew it back together

Or the sew line that looks like they skinned it with a Chain saw.

Or the Entire toes cut off because they wanted to make a necklace but now they want a rug & ( ITS EASY TO PUT ON FAKE CLAWS RIGHT ) when the toes are not there anymore.

Or the 20 plus holes between the toes that now will need stitched during the rugging process.

or the skin that comes in LOADED with Black Pepper Instead of Salt, because someone told them it works & its lighter than salt.

Or the skin that has been fleshed but not salted & in a cheese cloth bag for 5 days ( But I had it in a Cooler so it was cold, even though there was no ice in it) & there were more maggots on the skin than fur when I removed it from the bag.

Or the one that brought in the elk with the WHOLE neck still in the cape that was killed a week ago. Obviosly it was spoiled.

or Every year the guys that go down the back of the leg but then end up cutting on TOP of the foot instead of going to the back of the foot pad. ( Now I have to cut that piece off & resew it in place.

Or the guy that shot his California bighorn in the jaw so instead of leaving the skin hanging & attatched he cut it off & discarded it. ( Now I have to buy several sheep faces so I can match one to mount the sheep instead I could have just fixed the mess in the first place.

Next the guide that met me in the motel parking lot in Fairbanks with his clients in tow to check in there Caribou , Tells me that he prepped the capes & they are all ready to go to the tannery but I might look them over, so I do just to find that the EYES LIPS & NOSE are Not turned, the Ears have only been turned half way & Not an Ounce of salt, ( So Now He is pissed when I show his clients how to actually turn a caribou face & ears on my tail gate.)

Do I enjoy fleshing ??? I would rather have a Root canal, but compaired to the fixes & time WAISTED because it wasn't done right in the first place, OR the being blamed for Ruining their skin.

Yes I would rather do it myself.

Fleshing & Tanning has ALWAYS been part of the job so why charge more for it > >>> Unless Prep is all we are doing on the skin<<< & we do have prices for that too.

Adjust your price so ALL is included, then there is not a misunderstanding when the animal is dropped off.

The reason that Most taxidermists do Not post prices on their web site is someone copying it then showing up 8 years later with That price list in hand, & arguing ( But I have this price list) even though prices have changed 3 times since that one was good.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    www.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Lol so what is your current 2016 tanning price? Is fleshing included in tanning price or only a mount price?
    Master guide 212

If u r in anchorage and it thaws before my son is born, I'll pop the head out for ya for free as u watch. It's really really simple. The feet are more tedious and let the taxi do that as I'm short on time Hehehehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always loved doing feet. The lower lip is my least favorite.
    Master guide 212

After reading the horror stories Rj speaks of I feel I did pretty darn well on the skinning and care part....
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I always loved doing feet. The lower lip is my least favorite.
    Ah, maybe that's why I chose carpenter over guiding Hehehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk