Thread: Accubond LR bullets

Default Accubond LR bullets

Anyone loading these? I have a vintage (old) 270 Weatherby Mark V I'm thinking they would work nicely in. Anyone have feedback on accuracy?

Thanks!

I am a FFL Manufacturer in Michigan. I have several customers that swear by this round. Either the 139gr or 150gr loads. These rounds tend to get tighter when pushed to almost max. What are you looking for info wise?

Thanks, that's what I needed. The rifle is already shooting 1/2 MOA out to 845 yards with Sierra Game Kings, but I wanted a bullet that would hold together a bit better with a better BC. I'll definitely try the 150g LRs, now if they only made a 165g bullet ...

I shot these out of a 26 nosler, 142 gr factory loads. They are very accurate, but they do not hold together at high speed impact. I shot a mountain goat at a little over 300 yards. According to the factory box they are still going 2889 FPS at 300 yards. The first hit went into the high shoulder and did not penetrate the vitals. Luckily he turned towards me and I was able to hit him in the brisket and he went down then after a maybe a 50 foot walk. When I skinned him the bullet had turned into shrapnel upon impact. When I got home I shot some into wet news paper, same thing. The lead was completely separated from the copper, and the copper weighed maybe 30 gr. I am now loading 140gr partitions.

If you are shooting long range, and the bullet has slowed way down I think they would be fine, but anywhere in the high 2000's I wont trust them again. I just google long range accubond for images and there are several pictures of the same thing out to 400 yards.

This is not my picture but is very similar to what I had. I really would hate to wound/lose an animal because of this.

I also am going to do a swift a frame, partition, Barnes test in my new 325. I plan on making some fairly hard gel, put some hide on the front, scapula inside, 1/4" board inside to simulate hitting a rib, then a bag of soft gel simulating the boiler room. Hopefully it will give me a real world result instead of the Hollywood stretch of those factory gel tests to make people's eyes large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post

I also am going to do a swift a frame, partition, Barnes test in my new 325.
    Have you considered throwing in some Hornady ELD-X or Match in there? The real world reviews since they've come out have been pretty good..

I've looked at those also and they look very similar at high speeds.

I like the one with 2 seperate chambers, one to mushroom, one to push on through. Barnes are a goid bullet, and has crossed my mind, but I've seen first hand a couple of hits with those that I didn't like the results.

I shot these out of a 26 nosler, 142 gr factory loads. They are very accurate, but they do not hold together at high speed impact. I shot a mountain goat at a little over 300 yards. According to the factory box they are still going 2889 FPS at 300 yards. The first hit went into the high shoulder and did not penetrate the vitals. Luckily he turned towards me and I was able to hit him in the brisket and he went down then after a maybe a 50 foot walk. When I skinned him the bullet had turned into shrapnel upon impact. When I got home I shot some into wet news paper, same thing. The lead was completely separated from the copper, and the copper weighed maybe 30 gr. I am now loading 140gr partitions.

If you are shooting long range, and the bullet has slowed way down I think they would be fine, but anywhere in the high 2000's I wont trust them again. I just google long range accubond for images and there are several pictures of the same thing out to 400 yards.

shooting the 26 Nosler id suggest going to solids.
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

How far do you want shoot? 400, 600, 1000 yards?

I looked into bullets for the 264 win. I decided to use a bullet that would hold together at closer ranges and shoot well to 400 yards. I picked the barnes TTSX. It shoots 1 MOA or better. Past that I won't be shooting game so a higher BC bullet won't do much good. I might try and shoot paper longer. If so, I could be convinced to trade for a less robust bullet with a higher BC.

I'm not a Solid fan. I won't get into the reasons or what I experienced. Too many trolls on here waiting to tell everyone why I'm wrong and didn't see what I saw. They are excellent strong bullets, just not for me.

I can't speak about the ELD-X at 1000 yrds, but at 100 yards the ELD-X 200gr bullet from a 300WM it made a heck of an exit wound on a moose on a broadside vital shoot. The bullet was not recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Have you considered throwing in some Hornady ELD-X or Match in there? The real world reviews since they've come out have been pretty good..

Unless you are planning on shooting animals at 500yds plus, there are better options, like the Accubond. Read this thread and see the bullet failure. They were fortunate to get the ram. I chime in in this thread about Nosler Accubonds in my 325wsm. Also, my sheep hunting partner shoots the Accubonds in his pre 64 win 270. They work great. Many guys on this forum have had excellent results with the Accubonds in differen calibers. Both with accuracy and terminal performance.

Nosler Long Range bullet failure...

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/sheep...tml#post542964
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

TY Snyd, that is exactly what the goat looked like, total explosion under the skin and only small shrapnel penetrated. Nosler Ballistic Silver tips are similar at high speed. Anything that will fully expand at 1300 fps is not going to do well at 3000. When I bought them I thought they were accubonds just optimized for better coefficient. Thanks again for the link.

TY Snyd, that is exactly what the goat looked like, total explosion under the skin and only small shrapnel penetrated. Nosler Ballistic Silver tips are similar at high speed. Anything that will fully expand at 1300 fps is not going to do well at 3000. When I bought them I thought they were accubonds just optimized for better coefficient. Thanks again for the link.

I've put 200gr .323 Accubonds through several sheep from 150 to 400yds. 2950 fps, chronied. Complete passthroughs. Plenty of tissue damage for quick kills but no explosive meat damage. I've also killed several moose with the same load and recovered a few bullets. 140grs, retained 75% of weight just like Nosler says they will. These were from 3 moose, one at 315yds and one at 365 and I think one at 150ish after breaking shoulder, can't remember. I've shot other moose 150ish yds, complete pass throughs.

Accuracy:
    325 wsm Kimber MT

Terminal performance...

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks for those pics.

I found these 2 pictures. That air pocket for the tip to slam into is a huge difference between the 2, especially at high speed