Thread: Parks Streams - Any Luck?

Default Parks Streams - Any Luck?

Anybody been trout fishing any of the Parks streams recently? I plan to head up tomorrow and a couple other days this week and wondered how it has been fishing.

While I am very familiar with these streams, I have to admit that I don't normally fish it this time of year (usually chasing moose instead). I would normally think to head up from the highway and look for salmon but wondered if it being a pink year changes that line of thought.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fished Montana and Willow last week. Trout fishing was good on both but not lights out. The water levels have been fluctuating a lot. Beads and flesh seem to be the "lures" of choice.

I do not know if any body floats the middle section of the river or not this time of year but last week a big spruce fell across Willow just below Deception it is from one bank to the other.
    Doug

aaatrout.com

Montana was pretty slow on Saturday. Only saw 5 salmon all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Willow was pretty slow for me yesterday tossing an assortment of different colored beads
    hook, line, sinker, done.

I also fished the Willow yesterday and it was SLOW for me. Tried several places above the highway and threw out my whole flybox. Saw one small group (5-10) of salmon. Talked to two others groups that had fished several places and neither had any luck.

Lower Willow Sunday, 3 guys fishing different flies/beads constantly, very few fish. The take out was extremely shallow at the campground.

Anyone been out since it started raining? The levels online look like its risen, but was wondering if its still fishable/wadable in the middle section. Thinking about heading up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    Anyone been out since it started raining? The levels online look like its risen, but was wondering if its still fishable/wadable in the middle section. Thinking about heading up tomorrow.
    Willow has dropped a bit after a significant rise from under 500 cfs to nearly 3000 cfs and seems to be leveling off at about 1000 cfs. That is still pretty high and above what i would consider wadable. The leveling off has me thinking it is clearing up some, so it is likely fishable. Monday it was chocolate sauce and right now i'd guess it to be about like rootbeer.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Think its fishable today? Saw it dropped a little, but still pretty high.

Went and fished yesterday, water was high as expected, pretty much unwadable. Water was surprisingly pretty clear though, threw beads and llamas for a couple hours and didn't get a hit though.

Anyone been out lately? Hows the fishin been?

I am headed out Sunday to try a few of the streams. I have the heard that grayling have been active and trout fishing has been okay.

Fished the Lower and Middle portions of Willow on Friday. Deception area was very slow, but from the mouth up was ok. The trout are where you think they would be. Flesh seemed to be fishing better than beads.

LOTS of bears, though. Ran into what looked like some yearling brownies a ways up on the lower. Tons of tracks throughout.

Fished Sheep today and did well. Had to work at it a bit and mix it up but several grayling and a couple fatty fall rainbows. Caught one that measured 18" that puked up more than a tablespoon of salmon flesh as I got the hook out.

Quote Originally Posted by capt_g View Post
    Fished the Lower and Middle portions of Willow on Friday. Deception area was very slow, but from the mouth up was ok. The trout are where you think they would be. Flesh seemed to be fishing better than beads.

LOTS of bears, though. Ran into what looked like some yearling brownies a ways up on the lower. Tons of tracks throughout.
    Yeah, I saw more bear tracks in the lower section than I have in the last ten years. Looked like small brown bear tracks.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Hit Montana and Willow yesterday, a couple fish at each. Thanks for the heads up about the lower willow and bears, havn't seen any the past 3 years so i started leaving the shotgun at home.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Yeah, I saw more bear tracks in the lower section than I have in the last ten years. Looked like small brown bear tracks.
    As you said, lots of tracks. A couple bears staying in a small area can really track a place up. This is the time of year that bear get really mobile looking for the dwindling food sources before they head into the dens. Those mobile bears can get the hackles up, too... that single set of tracks could mean he's in the area or is already 20 or more miles away looking for greener pastures.