Thread: UTV?

Default UTV?

How well would a UTV work on the trails everyone rides? Looking at the Arctic Cat but am concerned about accessibilty issues. I have not seen much on here about them and would use one for day trips or short camping trips for a family of four (two young ones) and of course hunting/fishing trips. Better and cheaper than tearing up my truck is my thought if it would work.

Where are you? They do fine on the majority of the trails in this state since they were originally built by miners with dozers, track rigs, and trucks. I've found it will usually be the trails built after the 70's that you may find to be tight in the trees. Even then a lot of them are runable. With a family of four I'd think you'd be more comfortable on the bench seat of the Ranger? If you are afraid of scratching the paint, then you may not want to get a side by side rig. Other than that they go a lot of places. Climb hills like mad and with a good set of tires will out perform some wheelers. It must be the extra weight for traction or something.

If you are really gonna get after it on some serious trails, you won't be going as far. I thought about going that route but started really paying attention to where I was riding and found that there was no way I could get to where I wanted to go on a UTV. For some areas like Jim Creek, Eureka, the mine side of Eska Falls they would be great. How in the world would you ever get it across the river at Ferry? Once you get into the tight areas or an area where you need to hang over the handle bars a UTV isn't practical, at least in my mind...
    EricL

I know I am really impressed with te side by sides. We use them for bear camp and when you hit tight trees your done but otherwise...hang on.

Default earleir this year

well everything has a place but im not forsure how easy it is to tell until it is to late sometimes as in this picture on baldy about 10 4 wheelers around and none looked like this even though the driver was buckled in and didnt have a scratch it was a good picture i think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

King river? Looks awfully familiar
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I own a Rhino and I am really impressed with it. It goes all the places my atv goes and more. If I cant drive around it, I drive over it.

Go for it. Them prowlers look great, saw two yesterday, they weren't snorkled and they were the only other rigs I saw on the other side of the Little Nel playing in the mud and water. I don't own a side by side but they impress me all the time when I see them out on the trails. Unless you like hanging out in the dense forest they would be great for a family. You'll be able to go thru 95% of the areas a regular 4 wheeler does and do it just as well if not better.

Thanks. Anyone have any experience with the Arctic Cat? I haven't purchased one yet and am in the looking phase. I do not live in Alaska as of now, but am in the process of fixing that. I hope.