Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Give me ideas please!!!

Unhappy HELP! Give me ideas please!!!

Drew an any bull on JBER this year. First day had stalks on three bulls :-) Morning of day three I found my bull. A 3 x 3, young and tasty. Got up above him and watched him feed straight at me for almost 10 minutes (close as 25 yards). Long story short, he presented the dream quartering away shot at under 40 yards. I have GoPro of his turn, position, and my arrow release. Mid chest strike, but heard bone break so it had to be ribs that it hit (Muzzy 3 Blade, beman ICS Hunter 400, bow 63#). He stumbled over and fell hard onto the off arrow side (also on film). Thrashed 3-5 kicks and jumped up, ran right in front of me confirming arrow placement and sprinted into the trees. I figured he would be dead in seconds.

Waited 30 minutes and slowly started to follow him into the trees, feeling like I had the "dream shot", but I knew the arrow did not do a pass through as I could see 1/3 to 1/2 of the fletching side as it ran by me...still had to be 6 to 15 inches deep. We spent about two hours looking for any sign. I was doing a zigzag pattern (I didn't know my partner is red color blind so he can't see blood). About 200 yards into the forest I found one leaf with blood on it. Marked the spot on my GPS, flagged it, then found my partner to start looking. Between the two of us we found his hoof churning marks and blood. About every 100 to 200 feet I found another drop of blood, a very slow process. We did this for about 1/2 mile and lost the trail. Called the base conservation folks and they sent two people to help. Back on the track...we picked it up again (I was the one finding the small drops of blood while my partner was great and hoof following). We came to a spot where it was obvious he had gone down and rolled as there was two large dinner plate size smears of blood. He seemed to stumble up and go another 20 yards into a grassy area where again there was some blood smears in the grass. At that point we are about 8 hours into the tracking and decided to back out for the night.

The next morning my partner and I returned to the last GPS mark. No help available from the base though. It took about 30 minutes, but I found blood drops again about 200 feet from the last area and off we went. We went probably more than 3/4 of a mile tracking, finding a spot of blood every 100-200 feet until it finally just ended. Lots of ground tracks from multiple animals. A dead end.

This young bull we had seen with a cow and calf, feeding in one spot at the same time three mornings in a row. So today we decided to return to where they had been feeding (also where I shot him) as the cow and calf returned to feed after I shot the bull and we were waiting the 30 minutes to track. We could not find them (we quietly walked in and sat for a couple of hours). There was a black bear sow with two cubs that walked through (also seeing a dozen bears daily and none appear to be feeding on a carcass). We did find fresh moose tracks this morning, where the feeding occurred, the same size that we had been following. No blood or stumbling marks though. We decided to back out for the day.

My guess is that I have seen less than a cup of blood total. I can only think now that my arrow hit a rib and deflected up into the other ribs? When it ran by it was clear that the front leg is Not broken, shown on my video. Instead of the perfect dream hit, I'm now thinking this was a non lethal shot, but I'm not sure. Thinking he might circle back to the cow and calf? Where we had the last blood there were three distinct ways he could have gone. We did zigzag tracking for up to a 1/4 mile without anything positive. Last blood was droplets on a about 4 leaves that had dried. Crazy.

I'm looking for any advice or recommendations. Should I back out a few days, then go back in? Is it likely that he would return to the cow and calf if it was a non lethal shot? Should I hunt the area hard for this guy? I'm not interested in going after a different bull. I've never had a shot like this (perfect conditions, perfect placement) and have an animal run. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Is there water in the area? I've been told A wounded animal will head for water . There is also a person in Anchorage that has a dog trained to find a wounded animal. The MP should know his name.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Is there water in the area? I've been told A wounded animal will head for water . There is also a person in Anchorage that has a dog trained to find a wounded animal. The MP should know his name.

Good luck.
    Many places with water as wel as a few lakes. So far, only the first evening did anyone on base seem to have any interest in helping. Not sure if they are busy or what. Almost impossible to contact anyone by phone and they have never called back. Frustrating not knowing what to do. I was able to enlarge my video (GoPro) can be pretty small) and get a pretty good idea of where my arrow hit. It was a little higher than I was thinking, well below the hump and spine though. Definitely behind the scapula, but the arrow could have deflected into the shoulder blade I guess. No was it went into the upper leg bone though as it was not limping at all. The trajectory should have been straight into the opposite should blade in a downward angle. Absolutely no froth so no indication of any lung hit, which seems impossible to me...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Should I hunt the area hard for this guy?
    Personally if it were me that's what I'd do. Good luck....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Supporting Member

I will gladly come help you look for your moose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A hit high in the rib cage may not bleed much on the outside but will fill the chest cavity with blood. That bull is dead.

From the last blood spot walk in gradually increasing circles. Don't assume he went in a straight line. Enlist the help of anyone and everyone you know. Wish I were closer, I'd gladly help.

Sure hope you find him!

I'll try to find the contact info of the moose tracking dog..
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Blood tracking dog..

Don 907-227-4261

Wish I would have read this yesterday, as my dog is on the way to Kodiak. If you find it & need help send me a p.m.

might have had better luck with a 2 blade or a rage or a swacker,
    never been a big fan of muzzy chisel tip, ok for whitetail but not so
    great for moose. others will argue, but a more broadside shot might
    have played out differently. I'm not criticizing you, I hope you find it
    soon. I have lost animals myself, and so have friends losing
    elk shooting muzzys in CO. same thing, hit a rib or shoulder joint
    and loud crack. I'm amazed watching hunting shows of bad shots ,
    those blades on mechanical cut a massive hole, even on elk. if they had
    shot a fixed blade they wouldn't have found it or dropped on camera.

let us know if you find him

That sounds like a dead moose to me. I would continue to look look look every day. Iceman is right. Hit high the chest cavity will fill with blood with not much drops. Keep looking and good luck.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Mark on gps and keep looking in circles as mentioned but be cautious. Not sure which unit you are in, but in 425 I shot my bull Friday night at 9pmish and gutted, half-caped him to cool overnight. Returned at 730 am the next morning and my bull was drug 30yds across the bulldog trail and half buried already......... bring friends and make noise is all I can say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Any more sign Roger?
    2010 & 11 Bowtech Destroyer 340's
    CarbonTech, CBE, Octane, QAD/RipCord and G5

I will head out tomorrow morning (Monday) but will have to leave early. I'm out of time as I have to leave town until the 27th. Anyone with access to the base is welcome to come help me search. I will be in Unit 2, take the Fish Lake road in and turn right at the end of the chain link fence as if you are heading towards the top of the ski run chair lift. I have a Ford F35, gray with shell, and will be walking into the trees on the Right side of the road. There is one short side road just ahead of where I will park, and another full "authorized only" road that splits the unit further on. I will circle around this area as long as I can...

Went back in this morning. After last night storm, everything is washed away...bummer. I found a number of "new" tracks, I'm guessing were the cow and calf. Nothing obvious on the bull. No smell of decomposition anywhere. Found some old human and animal trails that I hadn't before. Cover a lot more ground. No bears today. No sign that the cow and calf have gone back to their dandelion field to eat either. I have to leave for the Slope in the AM and won't be back until the last three days of the hunt. By then the six foot high Devil's Club should freeze and fall down. I would just about have to trip over his carcass to find him in this forest. I am extremely happy with my tracking skills, finding a single drop of blood on the ground amongst red leaves. My partner is red/green color blind, so was 100% unable to see blood, but man can he ground track!!! Fresh marks from many animals and he could pick my boy every time! Awesome job Chris! Not even a bow hunter. Such a rewarding experience with such a depressing conclusion. I've watched the video over and over and can't find one thing wrong. I would take that shot every time.It should have been a pass into the opposite shoulder. It is clear that the leg was NOT broken, which Muzzy broadheads do if they hit solid bone. Since his body is not within a mile of the shot, I can only assume/hope that he is still alive. The base have given me permission to hunt him again...I won't hunt any other moose this season, it's him or nothing. I have the last three days of the month to hunt when I get back. Fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear you weren't able to find him, certainly sounds like a dead moose!
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Sorry to hear you weren't able to find him, certainly sounds like a dead moose!
    This will bother me for a long time. I felt for sure he would be dead within seconds, but gave him 1/2 hour before even starting to look. Spent a few hours trying to "find" the first blood, so was quite away from where he went for almost three hours. Should have been dead, or at least down by then if the arrow had gone into the lungs (the only internal structure from the arrow angle). Eight hours following (about 3/4 mile or so) and no signs of him down other than once, no signs of stumbling, walking at a good pace. I really think somehow the broadhead deflected into the ribs and maybe under the scapula. By day five I should have found some sign of a dead animal. My GPS shows just how much I searched. Frustrating and depressing. I will go back to the are in two weeks when I get home. By then the foliage should be down and that should help me find even bones.

Roger sorry to hear you couldnt find your moose but you did everything you could do sometimes things like this just happen.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Roger sorry to hear you couldnt find your moose but you did everything you could do sometimes things like this just happen.
    +1. They sure do. It's never enjoyable and always stuck in your memory. The 'what if's' will drive a guy nuts. Good on you for trying your best.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Thanks for the positive feedback. The really great part is that I found I can follow single drops of blood about one every 200 feet, in some of the worst conditions of fall leaves, devils club, alders, and low bush cranberry plants. I think I even out searched the Conservation folks, and that made me feel good about it. My GPS is hash marked with crisscrossing search patterns. I'm still going back at the end of the month as I want an answer if there is one. There are a few folks that have said they will watch close in this area, one may go in just to track. I left biodegrading surveyors tape up that should be easy to follow to last blood... Again, thanks for the kind words.

Second the recommendation for blood tracking dogs. Too late now, but it would be wise to file that away for future reference.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast