Thread: Toasted jet stator and damaged impeller questions

Default Toasted jet stator and damaged impeller questions

So pulled apart my Kodiak pump because I lost about 8mph on a trip WOT and cruise rpm went up.
    Found all 3 impellers with damage and a smoked stator. Can anyone identify these impellers?
    20160910_145602.jpg

20160910_152408.jpg

Looks like you sucked up some gravel and it did a number on your stator and third stage impeller. I'd run the whole lot over to Grateland Welding on the Palmer Wasilla highway. They stock Kodiak replacement parts and might even be able to rebuild your third stage.

Looking at Picture number 2 with all three impellers it might just be the angle but it looks like 2nd and 3rd stage impellers are way out of spects.On a good impeller when looking stright down the trailing edge and the leading edge of the blades should be lined up . You should not be able to see a gap as it appears in the picture. As I said it could just be the angle. You could give Gary at Greatland Welding but I don't think that they are still stocking the kodiak parts . The stator is a no brainer. Kep us posted on what you find out.

So all 3 impellers are out of spec. They were worn before the rock "incident ". ... at least that's what I'm telling myself. Good news is I have spare new stators, and I already built up all the edges of all the impellers, filled any pitting and will knock the bulk of build up off tonight. I will drop of with GW this week to have them turned to spec. Boat is winterized so I might have to put it back in the water to check it out

Where did you get the stators from and cost if you don't mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Where did you get the stators from and cost if you don't mind?

I actually have a couple spare stators, so I cannot help you much. But, KME said with a new liner they are about $260 each.

So found the time to get the pump put back together. Impellers are .0025" clearance, so nice and tight. Found out I have a medium overlap Kodiak, and 2x 22 degree standard impellers. Only took about 45 minutes to slowly put pump back together.
    Ran about an hour today on the lake. Ran perfect, launches right out of the water, on plane easily at 3k rpm and I was able to stay on step at 21mph at 3300 rpm. 3600 rpm and I was doing 30 mph.
    Here's what's weird....
    I was able to Rev to 4900 rpm before the rebuild. Now it's only reving to 4450. I was able to hold 40mph at 4500 rpm, but now I can only get to 37 mph at 4000-4450. I cannot figure out how I lost that speed. Anyone have any ideas?
    Absolutely nothing else changed with the boat. Two people, and about 25 gallons fuel with an othwise empty boat.

Your RPMs would drop now that everything is new and/or to spec, and that's a good thing, motor is loaded properly. Loss of speed? 3 MPH is a small enough discrepancy that almost anything could be responsible. You were revving an extra 400 RPM, so maybe you were picking up that extra bit of speed at the expense of the engine revving like a demon? Maybe atmospheric conditions affecting combustion?
    What exactly was the incident that toasted your stator? Looks like a laser hit it.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Your RPMs would drop now that everything is new and/or to spec, and that's a good thing, motor is loaded properly. Loss of speed? 3 MPH is a small enough discrepancy that almost anything could be responsible. You were revving an extra 400 RPM, so maybe you were picking up that extra bit of speed at the expense of the engine revving like a demon? Maybe atmospheric conditions affecting combustion?
    What exactly was the incident that toasted your stator? Looks like a laser hit it.
    Year I considered the loading. There may be a plausible explanation :
    The boat started funny (40 degrees), idled for about 30 seconds then seemed to choke out. Started it 3 times and it choked out 3 times. 4th time it was a little warmer and ran, albeit rough. Idled for a few minutes to warm up and pushed off the dock and ran up to 2k rpm for about 10 minutes. Ran a little weird but not weird enough to think much of it at the time. Opened it up to 4500 and it popped right up on step.... what I didn't notice was the secondaries opening.. I did feel the boat sorta lurch and it ran a little smoother around 4k. My theory is the choke wasn't working right, which according to KME will stop the secondaries from opening. They said it would Rev until it was out of gas, without secondaries that's about 4500. I can usually very clearly hear them open and close, and I never heard it. So tomorrow or later in the week I'll take it back out and screw around and bypass that choke.
    I agree rpms should be lower as the pump is loaded proper. But I should only gain speed, not lose it. I also agree 3-4 mph isn't significant, but I think it hints to a larger issue.

This may be really obvious, but how's your timing?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Don't let it freeze up while you're working on it. I think we had a good frost here at home. One other thing to consider is the whether or not all your impellers are the same pitch and the order they go in. I know it makes a difference on mine but I can't remember what the order was, steeper pitch to the front or back? Hope it works out.

the timing is good. I thought of that originally.
    It did get down to 33 last night here. I will be draining the water out of the Raw water hoses and manifolds after every run for sure.
    I am going to take the carb off and rebuild it. I have no idea the last time it was rebuilt, so might as well give it a good once over. I took it out again and still couldnt get the secondaries to open. So after the rebuild we will see how it goes.

I think that the higher pitch would be in the front otherwise the higher pitch might be starving for the amount of water that it needs .

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    Don't let it freeze up while you're working on it. I think we had a good frost here at home. One other thing to consider is the whether or not all your impellers are the same pitch and the order they go in. I know it makes a difference on mine but I can't remember what the order was, steeper pitch to the front or back? Hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    I think that the higher pitch would be in the front otherwise the higher pitch might be starving for the amount of water that it needs .
    The overlap is closest to the motor, then the two #2's. I put it back together as it came apart, referenced pics I took. The overlap also has the "pointy" end towards the motor. I hope it's right!