Thread: Floatplane crash near Unigak Lake, KODIAK

Default Floatplane crash near Unigak Lake, KODIAK

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016/...k-island-lake/

"......Coast Guard assets based in Kodiak rescued three people Friday after an aircraft crashed near the island community.

Watchstanders at the 17th Coast Guard District command center were alerted to the crash by an electronic locator beacon from a De Havilland DHC-2 floatplane at 12:20 p.m., according to a Coast Guard release.

The beacon placed the floatplane crash near Unigak Lake, located on Kodiak Island about 35 miles southwest of Kodiak..........".

The beaver N10AK belongs to Kodiak Island Air. Don't know who was flying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    The beaver N01AK belongs to Kodiak Island Air. Don't know who was flying it.
    Side numbers are N91AK, not N01AK, but same company. Hoping everyone recovers quickly and completely from injuries.

At least they were very close to the shore-line. Any word on the cause?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Sad to hear. I talked to the pilot the day before. I've flown with him many times and he's always been pleasant, professional and safe.
    I'll see Bob or Taj tomorrow and ask how he's doing. I'll report back in the afternoon.

Supporting Member

It's Uganik Lake...not Unigak....paper got it wrong. 91AK is a former Wings of Alaska aircraft and still bears that paint scheme...sad day for 91AK

I talked to Taj this morning. I didn't ask about why they wrecked because I'm sure he's been asked a million times already and I'm more concerned about the people involved. I did ask how Dave and the other couple were. Dave is in rough shape with some brain swelling but is expected to fully recover and be back flying again. The older lady is pretty busted up from the waist down. The other gentleman is beat up pretty bad but fared better than the other two. Hopefully all involved will be back to health soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    I talked to Taj this morning. I didn't ask about why they wrecked because I'm sure he's been asked a million times already and I'm more concerned about the people involved. I did ask how Dave and the other couple were. Dave is in rough shape with some brain swelling but is expected to fully recover and be back flying again. The older lady is pretty busted up from the waist down. The other gentleman is beat up pretty bad but fared better than the other two. Hopefully all involved will be back to health soon.
    Thanks for keeping us posted. I tried calling Bob yesterday but it went to voice mail and I didn't want to leave a message. Almost called Taj but decided that maybe I would just let a few more days go by before bothering him. It's really good to here that everyone will recover but also a big bummer that it happened. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had just dropped some rafters in Uganik Lake and was climbing out when 1AK was coming in to land. Right when I pulled up to the dock back in town, our owner told me Island Air just crashed a Beaver in Uganik Lake so I turned right around and got back there as quick as I could, along with our 206. The three victims were out of the airplane and in the rafts of the guys I dropped off earlier and pulled up on the beach. We helped Taj provide first aid and stabilized them as much as we could, coordinated with the helos when they arrived and then helped load the first onto the H-65 and the other two onto the H-60. They were all in a lot of pain with multiple injuries. I believe they are all up in Anchorage with a long road to recovery ahead. Prayers for quick recoveries for all three.

IMG_7771.jpg

What you did was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Henny View Post
    I had just dropped some rafters in Uganik Lake and was climbing out when 1AK was coming in to land. Right when I pulled up to the dock back in town, our owner told me Island Air just crashed a Beaver in Uganik Lake so I turned right around and got back there as quick as I could, along with our 206. The three victims were out of the airplane and in the rafts of the guys I dropped off earlier and pulled up on the beach. We helped Taj provide first aid and stabilized them as much as we could, coordinated with the helos when they arrived and then helped load the first onto the H-65 and the other two onto the H-60. They were all in a lot of pain with multiple injuries. I believe they are all up in Anchorage with a long road to recovery ahead. Prayers for quick recoveries for all three.

IMG_7771.jpg
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore