Thread: 9.9 on Grumman

Default 9.9 on Grumman

Have a like new 9.9 Johnson. Wish it was 15 but have heard only need change carb? Any idea how fast (mph) push the Grumman 19 with 300lbs of people and 100 lbs of gear flat water?

I had a 17' sq back with a Merc 9.9 and it was too much for that boat. On the other hand, my 17' Esquif Cargo does fine with the 9.9. It might be fine on 19'.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by bodak View Post
    Have a like new 9.9 Johnson. Wish it was 15 but have heard only need change carb? Any idea how fast (mph) push the Grumman 19 with 300lbs of people and 100 lbs of gear flat water?
    I had a 17 ft sq stern with a 7.5 and we got 13 mph on the Yukon. It was to much motor for the canoe IMO.

I currently am running that same 7.5 on a 15' kaboat and I am getting 12.5 mph with about 800 lbs in it.

the 10 HP will do all you need to do an then some, speed is not the thing with a 19 FT SQ ,
    all depends on the water you travel PS get a good lift that is what you need the most to make the 19 FT SQ do its stuff in the water .I think
    SID

I grew up in a Grumman sport canoe. The 15'6" pregnant looking thing. Great boat. Dad had a 9.9 merc on ours. Had friends that had either 4hp and 15hp on theirs. Empty they all ran about the same speed. Very close. The 9.9 had a handful for sure with just dad and one small kid in the boat. Would usually load some rocks into the now to hold it down. But...

We very very often loaded the family of 4 into it plus the dog along with a weeks worth of camping gear and food. That 9.9 pushed it right along nicely. That is the purpose of the bigger engine. Not speed. A canoe isn't really a planing Hull and you can only get so much speed out of it regardless of motor size.

Thueltraider summed it up about the motor size , the larger motor only helps much with heavy loads I think , SID