Thread: SJX or Phantoms

Default SJX or Phantoms

A friend of mine is looking for a good jet boat to go hunting. I told him I have heard good things about both of these makes and models, but I know very little about the pros and cons of each. Can anyone offer some advice?

I would also look at the sea-ark predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our SJX with the black ice bottom does great.... SeaArk is heavier which my friend has. Both are good boats with the 200 Optimax

Lightly loaded, what are the top end speeds for these guys?

SJX, Phantom, Predator and Extreme Shallow are all very similar and designed to do roughly the same job. Each has its own small difference and design that makes it a little unique. However, the differences in performance are slight. Personally, I prefer the layout and capabilities of the Extreme Shallow although I wouldn't hesitate to consider any of these choices when purchasing my next boat. The top end speed of the Extreme Shallow I run is roughly 40-45 mph with a light load. Heavily loaded the top end is in the low 30's. The Extreme Shallow performs best at just under 30 mph, It tends to porpoise when lightly loaded and at speeds over 34-35 mph. Speed and performance are also effected by the type and skew of impeller you decide to run in your pump and how you have it set up. I use a high skew impeller that was installed and shimmed by Greatland welding, to be honest I don't know the pitch or brand. I just told them how I intended to use the boat and what I wanted it to do, they set it up for me and I couldn't be happier. This year's improvement was the Wooldrige Bucket and Flo-tec shifter. Very happy with both of them so far. Next year's plan is to add the helm mounted stomp grate lever.

When your comparing the sjx to the phantoms you gotta realize that the sjx came from the phantom but when sjx broke away they made changes and beefed up and made the boat to a higher quality, and I would have to disagree they all are roughly the same while they all are going for the same mission, the sjx is in my opinion the easiest of them all to drive, it's the lightest of them all, it's faster then them all (50 mph) it will haul more, and go shallower then the rest of them, when you buy and sjx your buying a boat that was made by locals to run as shallow as humanly possible and do so effortlessly

I am also looking at this type of boat, I will usually have an ATV (6 wheeler) in it or hauling 1000+ pounds, looking pretty hard at the SJX, any options people want to discuss, what's good and what's a gimmick? I'm leaning toward getting the winch, not sure about the wheel kit, can't seem to find a picture of it, I don't want anything heavy or that will take up deck space. Any recommendation on fuel tanks and placement of them? What should I expect to pay for a nicely outfitted boat, I was guessing about 50K, am I way off? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I hate buying options that I find useless after the first day, then just have to live with them sitting in my shop

Just wonderin, I know that Compeaus in Fairbanks assembles and sells the complete SJX but where do the hulls come from? Who does all that welding on them? Does anybody know, or think they they know???

Quote Originally Posted by dakata View Post
    When your comparing the sjx to the phantoms you gotta realize that the sjx came from the phantom but when sjx broke away they made changes and beefed up and made the boat to a higher quality, and I would have to disagree they all are roughly the same while they all are going for the same mission, the sjx is in my opinion the easiest of them all to drive, it's the lightest of them all, it's faster then them all (50 mph) it will haul more, and go shallower then the rest of them, when you buy and sjx your buying a boat that was made by locals to run as shallow as humanly possible and do so effortlessly
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Seems like I read somewhere that the materials came from china and where welded together in either Washington or Idaho, not sure on this but I remember reading it on another forum

This is what I read I guess, it is on this forum titled SJX boats, not sure what how much is true

I do think the SJX is a nice boat, but for the price, I'd go made in USA.

Originally Posted by M.Hicks
    FYI, SJX is in Orifino Idaho and I do believe they manufacture there hulls there. Not far from Lewiston Id. and Clarkston Wa. Phantom is in Clarkston.

I went to Orofino, Idaho to see the SJX place. They DO NOT manufacture their hulls in Idaho. The SJX location in Idaho outfits the boats, paints them, puts the Optimax on, accessorizes them, etc. They do not weld the hulls.

Originally Posted by rawdogrichard
    as for the sjx hulls being made over seas or china...if u go to their website...there is pics and videos of their shop in the lower forty eight where they make the boats??????

SJX in Idaho does have a "shop" were they weld anything on specific for customers but they do not make the hulls in Idaho. The owner, Steve Stajkowski, was honest with us about it. At Compeau's, you have to twist their arm to indicate it was made it China!

Yep, thats what I heard as well. Hulls come from china. Bummer. I wood still run the rivers with them tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Just wonderin, I know that Compeaus in Fairbanks assembles and sells the complete SJX but where do the hulls come from? Who does all that welding on them? Does anybody know, or think they they know???
    I think Idaho, nope I was wrong still love my SJX doe what I need it to and then some
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Really?
    I Love my SJX, my Samsung TV, all my Dewalt power tools, my Kubota tractor, my Dodge truck that was assembled in Mexico, my HP computer, my Samsung cell phone and I could go on for days but the bottom line is, I really don't give two hoots on where it was made as long as it is a good product and meets my needs.
    Funny how a guy wants to get into jetboating and the thread turns into this!

Bushwhack Jack- tell you buddy if he wants info, pm me and I will give him what I know about the boat. Not claiming mine is the best, but dang sure the best for what I want. (until I can buy a Phantom with a diesel)

Just my 2 Cents.
    Mike

Ooppss... Sorry bout that. Guess u have made yur point mike.