Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hitchhikers

Default Hitchhikers

I have had a couple people tell me that it's illegal to gaff a hitchhiker ling even if it's obviously legal. I've had more people say stick em. I've looked in the regs but haven't found a definitive answer.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    I have had a couple people tell me that it's illegal to gaff a hitchhiker ling even if it's obviously legal. I've had more people say stick em. I've looked in the regs but haven't found a definitive answer.
    I believe it's illegal to gaff a ling period...at least it used to be.

It's not illegal but you certainly have to be sure it's legal sized. The law is that you must retain any gaffed fish

"Lingcod which are gaffed must be retained" from the regs

You're right, I misread that. I don't believe there is a problem with gaffing a fish that has been brought to the boat with a rod and reel.

Rest of the story, though, is that even if it is of legal size, it is illegal to retain hitchhiker lings. The guys that said to stick 'em also noticed that there were no law enforcement type people in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Rest of the story, though, is that even if it is of legal size, it is illegal to retain hitchhiker lings. The guys that said to stick 'em also noticed that there were no law enforcement type people in sight.
    Why would that be illegal?

I believe it's legal to spearfish lings, how is freegaffing or gaffing a hitchhiker any different? Can you point me to the specific regulation?

Default Hitchhikers

U cannot take a fish by gaff that isn't hooked. I've read another thread on the forums about this. Can't remember the members name.
    My understanding was the hitchhiking fish isn't hooked, so U are not "taking" the fish on rod and reel. You are in fact "taking" the fish by gaff. Which is illegal. I bet someone will find the regs about this and repost them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be due to the bait that is currently on the hook, green ling?

I believe this might be said thread by "ocnfish" regarding hitchhiker lings and rockfish as bait.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hiker+ling+cod

The only way I see it even close to legal is if the Ling completely swallowed whole whatever fish was originally hooked and then came all the way to the boat with the rod's mainline and hook down it's gullet as if it had swallowed the baited hook. Maybe...maybe not...

Otherwise it sounds to me like you caught a rockfish with a hitchhiker and after shaking off the Ling...you can drop back down and try to catch that Ling or another one down there waiting for a meal after removing the rockfish. Either way you get a picture/story and good karma for shaking the ling. YMMV

I would say if you can spear fish em there should be no reason not to be able to gaff em. One thing I would like to see if a ling came up latched onto my fish/bait which is mostly rock fish or greenling and its reeled up for someone to prove to me that it was legally caught. Who it to say that's not my bait? Prove It?
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Just read that thread and I remain unconvinced. If it hitchhikes I wasn't using a rockfish as bait I was reeling in a rockfish and clearly it came up by rod and reel. It's probably not legal to gaff a Ling that came up following a rockfish and never hit it but the other question is such a gray area I'm not worried about it.

I went through the regs last night and couldn't find anything. I know I saw one of those blurbs on earlier this year on the ADF&G site reminding anglers that hitchhiker retention is illegal. I can't find it now, either. I asked specifically about this when I was at the ADF&G office on Raspberry. They said it was absolutely illegal. Regardless, the practice isn't well defined in the regs, but should be. Don't take my word on this, call ADF&G and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    I would say if you can spear fish em there should be no reason not to be able to gaff em. One thing I would like to see if a ling came up latched onto my fish/bait which is mostly rock fish or greenling and its reeled up for someone to prove to me that it was legally caught. Who it to say that's not my bait? Prove It?
    I can't say I have a definitive answer but...

Greenling might be ok if the fish is actually on the line, but you might get busted for using rockfish as bait since it is a game fish and that is a no-no. A following fish, would have to be "sport caught" under the rules outlining the legal "method and means" found here for southcentral Alaska: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...egulations.pdf

The "gaff being the same as spearfishing" argument will not fly since when you are spearfishing, you must be completely submerged underwater.

At least that's how I read it.

It rains hard enough that I sometimes feel fully submerged standing on the deck.

Agree with you, do be on the safe side of it leave it alone and have a jig ready to drop next to it once it releases from the fish you have on and just try catch it.

You cannot use sportfish as bait. You cannot gaff or keep a ling that clamps onto a rockfish legally.

Reeling up a rockfish is not using a rockfish as bait.

Could you send me the regulation to where it says that? I would like to see how that is written up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You cannot use sportfish as bait. You cannot gaff or keep a ling that clamps onto a rockfish legally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast