Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Rifle and pack

Default Lost Rifle and pack

I can't even believe I'm writing this! Took my kids up the Denali yesterday. It was supposed to be my oldest boys first big game hunt. I just got him a new rifle earlier this year.
    Anyway we took a hike just below Mclaren Summit. Kids got wet and we went back to the truck. I leaned my kids rifle along side the truck along with my hunting pack and in the confusion of 3 kids drove off without it. Realized my mistake about 15 minutes later drove back and the pack and rifle were gone.....

The pack has my hunting license and tags in it (among other things). Praying that someone honest picked it up. This happened about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. I left my information at mclaren lodge and it has been reported to troopers.

Needless to say without a license tag or rifle my boy is comfortable shooting this put a quick end to our hunt, and likely his season. He is heartbroken. If anybody has any information I know it would mean a lot to my boy and I if we were able to get our stuff back.

Thanks and good hunting to everybody.

-Brian

Man what a bummer...... Hoping some one will do the right thing.

What's he shooting? I'm going to be back in AK on Saturday and staying for a month before I have to go back to this crap hole state. I've got a 257 wby vanguard I'd loan out to get him his first caribou. Naturally we'd have to talk more about details, but let me know. Can't let something like this end the kid's season.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Were you caribou hunting? If so, and they open the season up in Oct, AND if they are in the area, you and your boy are invited to my cabin for a hunt. We have a couple of youth .308's I am sure he can shoot. I really hope you get your things back. Some kind of low lifes out there if you don't. Good luck..

I hope you recover your gear.

I've got a spare 7-08 youth model you're welcome to borrow if it'll help get your son back in the field.
    I'll be hunting the Denali every weekend until the end of the early season- off and on in the late season.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhunter View Post
    I can't even believe I'm writing this! Took my kids up the Denali yesterday. It was supposed to be my oldest boys first big game hunt. I just got him a new rifle earlier this year.
    Anyway we took a hike just below Mclaren Summit. Kids got wet and we went back to the truck. I leaned my kids rifle along side the truck along with my hunting pack and in the confusion of 3 kids drove off without it. Realized my mistake about 15 minutes later drove back and the pack and rifle were gone.....

The pack has my hunting license and tags in it (among other things). Praying that someone honest picked it up. This happened about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. I left my information at mclaren lodge and it has been reported to troopers.

Needless to say without a license tag or rifle my boy is comfortable shooting this put a quick end to our hunt, and likely his season. He is heartbroken. If anybody has any information I know it would mean a lot to my boy and I if we were able to get our stuff back.

-Brian
    So sorry to hear this. Of course I can't know what kind of financial situation your in, and of course give it a few days to see what happens, but if at all possible just go out and get him another rifle asap. Money comes and money goes.....think of how much we blow on bs over the years. You've got memories to be made with him right now, try not to let a few hundred bucks stop you from making them. Take if from one who knows....blink your eyes and he's grown up and gone.

Good Luck....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

PM sent....

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhunter View Post

-Brian
    i am so sorry to hear of your loss. I certainly hope you get everything back.

If you are an NRA member, check to see what coverage you'll have for the lost rifle & pack (assuming you don't get them back). As a member, you should have some coverage.

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone for their kind words and generous offers. Definitely a lot of great people on this forum. I'm hoping that by early next week we hear from the troopers or from whoever found it.
    If not we'll have to start working on a replacement.
    Yes we were hunting caribou. My boy shoots a .308. He's pretty small for his age and we tried a couple shots right out of the box and I could tell it was WAY too much recoil for him. Took it to a local gunsmith and had a brake installed. It made all the difference.
    With work and school schedules this was our only week to go during the early hunt. I'm hoping we can find his gun or get a replacement before the late hunt.
    Again thanks for all the generosity and help. Please let me know if you hear anything.
    -Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    If you are an NRA member, check to see what coverage you'll have for the lost rifle & pack (assuming you don't get them back). As a member, you should have some coverage.
    I discovered the NRA insurance is only good after all your other insurance avenues have been exhausted and if they were denied by your normal avenues you need to write a letter explaining why plus you need a police report, etc....
    It was not as simple as just filing a claim, almost pointless really.

Sorry for a sidetrack and hope you get them back.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Wasilla, Ak and S. Korea until retirement in 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    What's he shooting? I'm going to be back in AK on Saturday and staying for a month before I have to go back to this crap hole state. I've got a 257 wby vanguard I'd loan out to get him his first caribou. Naturally we'd have to talk more about details, but let me know. Can't let something like this end the kid's season.
    I feel as though you want to live forever
    Borrow, beg and steal
    It takes much more than toes to swim across
    This river that we know
    I don't believe the scorpion would die
    Clever clever crows
    And till the light goes out I'll live in awe

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I discovered the NRA insurance is only good after all your other insurance avenues have been exhausted and if they were denied by your normal avenues you need to write a letter explaining why plus you need a police report, etc....
    It was not as simple as just filing a claim, almost pointless really.

Sorry for a sidetrack and hope you get them back.
    Bk
    NRA insurance is worthless. It is just something to tell people they get for free when it is almost impossible to collect from them if you have a claim.

Several years ago I had a handgun stolen from my vehicle. The NRA so-called insurance wanted information I could not have provided if I had purchased the firearm a few hours prior to it being stolen.

Good luck with filing a claim but do not hold your breath on getting paid.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Have you called the troopers in Cantwell or Glennallen?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    NRA insurance is worthless. It is just something to tell people they get for free when it is almost impossible to collect from them if you have a claim.

Several years ago I had a handgun stolen from my vehicle. The NRA so-called insurance wanted information I could not have provided if I had purchased the firearm a few hours prior to it being stolen.

Good luck with filing a claim but do not hold your breath on getting paid.
    I have heard horror stories about NRA gun insurance as well, I am not an insurance sales man and I get nothing out of the following but Eastern Insurance offers a collectibles policy that covers guns, it is only $125/year covers i think 25 or 30K worth of guns that you do NOT have to list unless any one item is over 10K, also covers accessories like binoculars, knives etc. It has $100 deductible and you do NOT have to file through your homeowners first and therefore it does not count against you as a homeowners claim. The agents are very friendly and while I do not have any claim experience I feel it is a much better policy

https://www.easterninsurance.com/ins...toric-firearms

But do they pay the claims or do they just put you off and require information that
    is impossible to get together to satisfy their requirements for claim settlement?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

The list of requirements they ask for make it extremely difficult to even file a claim.
    For more details, call NRA and ask for the claim packet and read through it, we found no value in it when we had a few stolen.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I hope that whoever finds it does the right thing for you.
    I lost my favorite knife hiking a couple weeks ago and placed an ad and no kidding a young man found it and called me up so good luck

Sounds like other members have you covered in the rifle department, if needed I have an extra pack and any other various gear you guys may need. Just let me know.

-Adam

I just picked up a barney's pack and frame so I now have a spare pack. I have a Sitka Bivy 45 and either a Remington 783 in 7mm Rem Mag that shoots 3/4" @ 100yds or a Ruger m77 Hawkeye all weather in 300 Win Mag with a hogue stock that you could borrow for the length of the rest of this season and the late season. Both rifles have leupold glass on top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast