Thread: Flaketop Peak

Default Flaketop Peak

I am currently working on the 30 front range high points in the Chugach, and I was wondering if anyone has any information about how to tackle Flaketop peak. From my understanding, it is the highest point on the ridge from flattop, just before it drops to the saddle next to Ptarmigan. Obviously you could just follow the ridge from Flattop, but is there a better way? Would it be faster to either bike the Rabbit Lake trail or Power line trail, then make it up to the saddle by Ptarmigan, and go up from there?

No idea on the easiest way, but it's totally doable to hit Flattop, Flaketop (never knew that was the name?), Peak 3, and Ptarmigan all in one day. I did it back in my college days in a single push in October without a problem. Might as well hit a bunch of peaks in one push if peak bagging is the goal.

Alright cool. Is it sketchy going up Ptarmigan? I'm relatively new to this, and just don't want do do something beyond my limits.Done the dome, wolverine, near point, the ramp, flattop, knoya... (I am in pretty good shape though.)

It's been 15 years since I did it, and I was in my early 20s and maybe a bit more accepting of risk...but I don't recall it being too terrible. Some rock scrambing, for sure, but I was alone and don't recall it having anything overly scary.

If you're doing the Mountaineering Club of Alaska's Chugach Front Range 30 High Points don't forget Blueberry Knoll at 2625 feet which can be reached by a short detour when climbing Flat Top. Ptarmigan takes some scrambling but my concern when I've climbed it is climbers higher up dislodging rocks. Go early in the morning and avoid other climbers and/or wear a climbing helmet.

Yeah, I'm doing the MCA 30, thanks for the helmet tip.

I've heard it called Falsetop. Real easy from Rabbit Lakes trail. No super defined trail per se, but way enough to get up.

Best access if from the Rabbit Lake trail as already stated. You have two options. 1). You can take the trail up to the top of Peak 3 and pick your way across the top of the ridge back to Flaketop. The top of the ridge has a small trail all the way across the top of it. 2) Hike the Rabbit Lake Trail straight back about 2 miles to the base of Flaketop and start climbing. Or you could actually climb up onto Ptarmigan Pass and then up Flaketop if you wanted to. Either way its pretty much grass slope all the way to the top.

Thanks for all the info. I look forward to doing it.