Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medred Articles

Default Medred Articles

5 informative pieces on Cook Inlet salmon:

https://craigmedred.news

While extremely interested in cook inlet salmon issues, I won't waste my time reading any garbage written by medred. He spews b.s. like a pathological liar. Probably why the dispatch had to show him the door.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post

Very informative who like to hear Medred misinformation.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Default thanks!

Thanks for the link!

Lots of good history there, perhaps some can point out any mistakes in the numbers etc.

I also need to check out the United Cook Inlet Drift Association (UCIDA) and how much they spend on lobbying and who they have bought off. Clearly the average sport and PU fishermen need someone to lobby and support their interest also.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I read his bs and it is bs. He again uses data to support a bad conclusion. His history is just wrong on the allocation reasons and how those decisions were made. For example sport fisherman did not want snagging. Then is the reality today that most fisherman can cannot take 3 fish and that the sport fishery downstream of the sonar counter is not limited except when commercial fisheries are closed for an extended period. I could go on but am traveling but I would ignore Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Thanks for the link!

Lots of good history there, perhaps some can point out any mistakes in the numbers etc.

I also need to check out the United Cook Inlet Drift Association (UCIDA) and how much they spend on lobbying and who they have bought off. Clearly the average sport and PU fishermen need someone to lobby and support their interest also.
    Sporties and dippers have plenty of special interests lobbying for them. Have you ever heard of KRSA and the lobbying that they do?

Default average

Sure - that is why I used the term "ordinary" sport fishermen. "Average" would work also.

As I've said before: "Follow the money" to understand what is happening. The average or ordinary sport and PU fishermen just don't have an organization with money to fight for their interests. Instead we get the big dollar king fishermen and guides trading off the reds for the kings and silvers.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Sporties and dippers have plenty of special interests lobbying for them. Have you ever heard of KRSA and the lobbying that they do?

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Sure - that is why I used the term "ordinary" sport fishermen. "Average" would work also.

As I've said before: "Follow the money" to understand what is happening. The average or ordinary sport and PU fishermen just don't have an organization with money to fight for their interests. Instead we get the big dollar king fishermen and guides trading off the reds for the kings and silvers.
    So, what exactly would the average Joe fisherman lobby for exactly? What do we not get that we need?

Default a balance

Most important, to counter the lobbying by the commercial side, and the big money interests. The little ordinary average fisherperson needs someone to look out for him/she/it also, or they will lose out in the end - maybe sooner rather than later.

I'm not taking the bait on "what we need". Good try though.

So, what exactly would the average Joe fisherman lobby for exactly? What do we not get that we need?

Most important, to counter the lobbying by the commercial side, and the big money interests. The little ordinary average fisherperson needs someone to look out for him/she/it also, or they will lose out in the end - maybe sooner rather than later.

I'm not taking the bait on "what we need". Good try though.
    Counter the lobbying to achieve what? Just for the sake of arguing?

As far as your comment about "what we need", I contend I spend much much more time sport fishing than you do, or have

Please post the name of the organization representing persoal use fishers in Cook Inlet, I'll gladly join....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Please post the name of the organization representing persoal use fishers in Cook Inlet, I'll gladly join....
    Unfortunately both SCADA (South Central Alaska Dipnetters Association) and KRSA (Kenai River Sportfishing Association) claim to represent Cook Inlet personal use fishermen.

Both organizations currently have proposals before the BOF representing PU expansion (proposal 204, 205, etc). Both work together in the legislative and political arena against other users for the benefit of PU (ex: set net ban, Robert Ruffner scandal, etc.).

Last I checked, SCADA claims it represents us dipnetters, but they are not registered with the State as a legitimate membership-supported organization. They are more like a "club" made up of a few guys with an anti-agenda. They don't represent any dipnetters I know. They are made up of family, friends, and relatives of KRSA leaders...leaders of the Bob Penney regime. They tout themselves as stewards of the river. But just look at the fishery. So you can join them if you want, but their reputation precedes itself. I would not support either if my life depended on it.

It would be nice to have a legitimate, honest, organization that could unite all user groups.

As for Medred....his pieces are laughable, but unfortunately they hurt the fishery in so many ways.

I enjoy reading Craig's stuff. He writes well, and keeps readers on their toes. I would not rely on him to educate me - I read his work for entertainment value. This series is a perfect example of propaganda presented as research. Funny how obvious it was that there would be a 5th part to his 4 part series.

Craig is a paid spokesperson for special interests. Those interests favor the commercialization of our inriver fisheries, while claiming to represent the interests of individual anglers and residents, and while opposing commercial fishing in nearly every form.

I've heard Craig claim several times that he thinks these runs should be managed for the maximum economic benefit of Alaskans. I agree. That means we should look at utility in several forms including food security, recreation, and economy - both locally and statewide. Not sure why he chooses to focus on some perceived unfairness in the 1970's, as it serves no purpose other than to whip up hate against commercial fisheries. Which leads me back to my first paragraph...

Anyone else find it interesting that KRSA, who largely represents the commercial sportfish sector (guiding/lodging/real estate) has a proposal to expand the common use PU zone, while SCADA, who supposedly represents the regular Joe (mostly valley based) PU crowd also has a proposal to expand the PU fishery, but only on private Kenai River docks? How does this help most PU fishermen? Seems like it would help the commercial sportfish industry more. Almost as if they are scratching each others' backs... Huh.

Default snagging or snagged?

I can understand that sport fishermen did not want intentional snagging. Was it the same with fish that were un-intentionally snagged other than in the mouth?

There is certainly miss-information on both side of the aisle. How about the one by the comm fish marketing guys about commercial fishing/processing being the "largest private sector employer in Alaska" (or similar) without revealing that the majority of those employed are NOT from Alaska or even the United States! Then we had the one about "wild Alaska salmon" that started their lives in hatcheries.

The truth is usually found somewhere in the middle between both sides lies and deceptions. I doubt if fishing is an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I read his bs and it is bs. He again uses data to support a bad conclusion. His history is just wrong on the allocation reasons and how those decisions were made. For example sport fisherman did not want snagging. Then is the reality today that most fisherman can cannot take 3 fish and that the sport fishery downstream of the sonar counter is not limited except when commercial fisheries are closed for an extended period. I could go on but am traveling but I would ignore Craig.

I can understand that sport fishermen did not want intentional snagging. Was it the same with fish that were un-intentionally snagged other than in the mouth?
    Allowing one begets the other.

There is certainly miss-information on both side of the aisle. How about the one by the comm fish marketing guys about commercial fishing/processing being the "largest private sector employer in Alaska" (or similar) without revealing that the majority of those employed are NOT from Alaska or even the United States! Then we had the one about "wild Alaska salmon" that started their lives in hatcheries.
    Everyone came from somewhere. Will be interesting to watch folks like you deal with immigration and foreign labor as America likely grows increasingly dependent on it in the years to come. At least our fish don't say "Made in Chile" on them.

The truth is usually found somewhere in the middle between both sides lies and deceptions. I doubt if fishing is an exception.
    It is not, but some people lie more than others.

There is certainly miss-information on both side of the aisle.
    No doubt, but what reporter writes anti-sport and anti-personal use fishing misinformation for The Dispatch, ADN, and his own news website?

How about the one by the comm fish marketing guys about commercial fishing/processing being the "largest private sector employer in Alaska" (or similar) without revealing that the majority of those employed are NOT from Alaska or even the United States!
    ...Somebody here continues to have a fetish over Alaska's seafood industry, ad nauseam.

tvfinak, your beef is with your own Federal and State labor laws, your own lawmakers who create them, and your own neighbors who vote for them.

I have no problem with Alaska's seafood industry being a big private sector employer and economic generator. That's a good thing. I have no problem with alien workers filling jobs when Alaskans and US citizens who get a hiring preference don't take them. We still benefit economically.

Don't like it tvfinak?...then work to change it. Good luck and let us know how it turned out for you.

Default laws & regualtions

So I guess you also don't have a problem with companies hiring H1-B aliens under the guise of "labor shortages" then forcing the American workers to train their alien replacements before the Americans are fired? These situations were in the news recently at Disney and SoCalEdison.

There is no shortage of American workers - just Americans that will work for the low wages paid for long hours of nasty, cold, dangerous work. Adjusted for inflation, the wages were higher in the past and did attract American workers. Now the processors just hire desperate foreign workers. That is what I have a problem with.

And while we may benefit some economically - remember that comm fish industry doesn't pay a lot in taxes - we also get stuck paying taxes to support the American workers. So the big companies get bigger profits to send back to Seattle and we get more taxes to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Funstastic View Post

tvfinak, your beef is with your own Federal and State labor laws, your own lawmakers who create them, and your own neighbors who vote for them.

I have no problem with Alaska's seafood industry being a big private sector employer and economic generator. That's a good thing. I have no problem with alien workers filling jobs when Alaskans and US citizens who get a hiring preference don't take them. We still benefit economically.

Don't like it tvfinak?...then work to change it. Good luck and let us know how it turned out for you.

Default Like all of us, Medred has many sides

https://craigmedred.news/2016/09/06/...ng/#more-37622

I've spoken on and off with Craig over the years, and certainly we disagree on plenty, but I did want to comment here that I am glad he is still writing and putting it out there. I gather Kevin Meyer feels the same way, which is why he hired Craig to write for him <grin>.

Anyway, I was perusing Craig's site the other day and ran into the piece linked above, "On Killing." Here is the closing paragraph and it's why I'm glad Craig is still a voice we can find online:

Most Americans live sanitary, disconnected lives today. They have no idea from where comes their food. They feel no discomfort in its death. And that is the thing that truly is bad, because it is hard to know the full richness of life without understanding the meaning of death and your place in the cycle of both.

Who? les Palmer had a column in the clarion pretty clear. He called out KRSA, the commercial fishing groups and the guiding group. If you are not in those groups, those are the people he he was talking to. In other words most of us!!!!!!!

Follow the money non affiliated sport people contribute more to management money wise than all the guides and commercial fishermen times more thab 2 so what are you saying? Follow the money what money? Is someone paying someone off? Get real!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast