Thread: Rod Tip Repair

Default Rod Tip Repair

The tip on my Lamiglas rod wore out. Went to Fred Meyer and got a Berkley Tip kit. One of the tips fits well but the melt on adhesive isn't at all strong. Very easy to rotate the tip after it has "set up"...that ain't going to cut it. Could I use super glue, JB weld or some other adhesive to hold it firmly in place? What do you guys use? I just don't the fishing pole god to zap me for using the wrong stuff.

All I've ever used is Gudebrod Ferrule Cement. Good stuff, works perfectly, lasts forever.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You can use a hot glue stick or Fuji hot glue. Two part epoxy & JB Weld works, but if you have to take the tip off for some reason it can be problematic.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Standard two-part epoxy. It will hold strong, but if you need to remove it, heat it up with a flame for a couple seconds and it will soften enough to remove.

Thanks guys. Went over to Bass Pro...they didn't have the Gudebrod cement but they did have the Fuji hot glue. Got lucky and found a Fuji tip that fit even better than the Berkley tip I was going to use. Back in business!

the problem you might have is NO GLUE IN THE TIP TOP , clean every thing up, shave some glue an put it in the tip , very lightly sand the rod tip with
    400 sandpaper or finer to break the glaze where the tip is going , don't hurt the blank, heat the tip top an warm the rod tip an apply, if you use any the methods listed above
    clean it up , an do break the glaze on the rod an make sure that you get some in the tip top as well as an the rod , let dry [ set up ] before you move it , some set fast an some set slow, you be the judge SID
    PS super Glue ??? to brittle will work but the other glues are a lot better , I think

Sid is right, make sure the rod tip is clean and scored either scrape lightly with a razor blade edge or fine sandpaper. Mark the bottom edge of your tip top in place on the rod tip with masking tape then gently score the finish above the tape. Cut fine slivers of heat gun glue stick and insert it in the tip top. Hold tip top with needle nose and heat with lighter and position on rod. Stay away from super glues or glues that wont reheat and allow for your next repair.