Thread: Newby question

Default Newby question

How many folks put something over the muzzle of your rifle for protection, like electrical tape? And if you do, do you remove it before a shot is taken or shoot with tape in place?

I put two strips of tape and shoot with it in place

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I usually don't bother but you can use tape or barrel condoms or ever a small balloon with no worries.

I put a small piece of electrical tape over the barrel. If I remember, I'll pull it off before the shot. It doesn't seem to matter, though, as the air that gets pushed out in front of the bullet will blow the tape off before the bullet reaches the end of the barrel.

Throw some electrical tape over the end and bust brush to your hearts content
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

I put a strip of electrical tape over the muzzle and then wrap one around the end of the barrel to help hold that one in place. As mentioned above, I'll take it off before shooting if I have time. If not, I shoot right through it. Never had a problem with that.

I also put a few strips of electrical tape on my stock. After shooting, I can put new tape over the muzzle again to help keep debris out for the remainder of the hunt.

I also use electrical tape over the barrel. I put a tad more than these fellas though. I read an article a few years back where a guy did a controlled experiment firing different loads with different amounts of water or no water in his gun barrel to simulate rain or a drop in a creek etc. The outcome was basically a little water in your barrel could throw a shot over well over several inches for a 100 yd shot. I wrap it very tight and put a few extra wraps a couple of inches down to re-wrap after a shot. I shoot through it, have so now for the last 2 years and have taken now almost a dozen animals with seemingly no effect on my accuracy.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks for all the responses. I will go with the electrical tape. Never thought to cover the muzzle but it makes sense don't want anything getting in it like snow, mud, dirt etc.

I never have and I've never had issues. My dad has never worried about it in 40+ years of hunting and he's probably killed upwards of 30 moose and plenty of bears without that strip of tape.

I use electrical tape over the muzzle also. Keeps from sticks and debris down the barrel.

Didn't grow up with it nor did the Marines do it so I don't but know of many blown barrels of folks that could of use it had they thought about it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hrowing up whitetail hunting, never did it, but guns didn't get drug through as much wet, tall grass, willows or dry dusty river beds with high concentrations of Quartz, so since moving here, I've done it religiously.

1-piece stretched over the muzzle, one wrapped around holding the stretched piece in place. It gives a nice piece of mind not worrying about. Never messed with taking it off, just shot through it. Couple years ago we got into an argument about the impact it could have on accuracy so we played around at the range at 100 and 300 yards. No appreciable impact--about as much of a cold bore versus follow up shots. I also put a couple pieces onto my scope so I can replace if I connect during the trip. Might be uneccesary, but I'm meticulous about my firearms and expect the best possible accuracy--hopefully for the life of the barrel, so at least the tape distracts my compulsive concerns of the crap my open muzzle would otherwise be accumulating--lets me focus more on the fun and the hunt.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I learned at a real young age to cover the barrel. I was out moose hunting with my dad, I was carrying a .22. I got tripped up, the barrel went into the ground and plugged with mud and dirt. My dad had some tape over his barrel and calmly said, that's why I put this on here. Lesson learned, and I've never plugged a barrel since.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I learned at a real young age to cover the barrel. I was out moose hunting with my dad, I was carrying a .22. I got tripped up, the barrel went into the ground and plugged with mud and dirt. My dad had some tape over his barrel and calmly said, that's why I put this on here. Lesson learned, and I've never plugged a barrel since.
    My first experience was very similar too this as well.. Electrical tape is harmless regardless how the gun operates, it's cheap, and it just works!!

Another pinch of food for thought... Years ago I had a muzzle break on a rifle. Not following my own protocol, I hadn't taped it during a moose hunt because the weather was so warm.. No rain, no mud, no problem. Right?.
    Well, as I hunted in and out of the alder brush for days trying to get onto moose, it never dawned on me that the sharp edges of the muzzle break were peeling off little shards of limb bark and leaf chunks and slowly filling my break/barrel with them. If I hadn't of pulled the bolt and checked the barrel at camp one night and found that, who knows what "could've" happened.. Been taping ever since, regardless of weather.... My .02...

Wasilla, Ak and S. Korea until retirement in 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I put a small piece of electrical tape over the barrel. If I remember, I'll pull it off before the shot. It doesn't seem to matter, though, as the air that gets pushed out in front of the bullet will blow the tape off before the bullet reaches the end of the barrel.

Im pretty sure it's called pressure but what do I know...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Im pretty sure it's called pressure but what do I know...
    Right. And the pressure is created by the compression and subsequent movement of air being forced by the bullet. Thanks for the clarification.