Thread: No fat added Moose Sausage?

Default No fat added Moose Sausage?

We got our moose this weekend for the year and now I'm in the planning stages for the processing. It's only our 3rd big game since we moved up 5 years ago and we tend to experiment a little more every time.

We tend to be purists when it comes to our burger (no matter the animal), no fat added (and I think it still tastes great), but I'm looking to try some sausage recipes this time around. I'd like to make (non-cased) breakfast sausage, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with making sausage (breakfast or not, cased or uncased) without adding pork fat?

Have you tried adding fat harvested from the animal itself?
    One forum for another state had recommended applesauce and/or dried milk powder...

Any ideas/tips/tricks/advice/lessons learned would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rmbaril View Post
    Have you tried adding fat harvested from the animal itself?
    One forum for another state had recommended applesauce and/or dried milk powder...

Any ideas/tips/tricks/advice/lessons learned would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    I don't make meat sausage. But, I do make salmon sausage from bellies and fillets. Salmon oil doesn't bind the sausage together, but I add potato starch which does a good job of binding. Or, a good enough job.

Regarding adding fat from the animal itself, I add caribou fat to my burger when I shoot a big, fat meat bull. It's very good and very mild, but you have to do a very good job of trimming. Get rid of any fat that looks at all brown, dirty, bloody. Only use pure white fat, usually from the rump.

It doesn't have the same mouth-feel as pork fat cold, but I really like it if I'm eating the burger warm.

You can also get a fat replacer at Butcher Supply.

I have heard of people using olive oil..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We have always saved all good fat from the animals we harvest. We use it to make halibut and salmon burgers and use it for summer, breakfast, salami sausage. Works and tastes great. But you do want to be choosy about what you take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I have heard of people using olive oil..
    That would be me. Haven't used nasty store bought pork fat in my big game burger for years. Unless I could find some good fresh organic pig fat somewhere, olive oil works great and so much healthier for ya.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That would be me. Haven't used nasty store bought pork fat in my big game burger for years. Unless I could find some good fresh organic pig fat somewhere, olive oil works great and so much healthier for ya.....
    Mikes meats in Eagle River should have very fresh organic pork fat. I buy pork bellies for bacon from them and it's the best pork I have ever seen.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I don't use pork fat in my sausages, I will buy a pork roast though and grind it up to mix with the game meat. Always turns out great

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

McKinley meats in Palmer has fat and trimmings for sale, fyi.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Thanks for the tips! We did about 10 lbs just using some premade seasoning packets, and honestly they tasted great without any fat added. We never add it to our burgers, but I just was a little concerned about doing sausage without it and whether I would run into problems. It's possible the packets had some "binding" ingredients in it, but nonetheless it was good!

I did make sure all the good fat was saved off of it and am hoping to use it for recipes and rendering.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    How much olive do you use? For instance, say I was making 5lbs of sausage. Normally I'd use 4lbs lean game and 1lb ground pork.

If I was going to use olive oil, I would just use 5lbs lean game....but then how much olive oil?

I'm super interested in trying this out, never really been a fan of adding pork or beef to my game meat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've made a no fat added chorizo and while I've used 50/50 beef and pork with the fat trimmed off, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with moose. I don't pack it in casings, just fill quart ziplocks or vac bags with ~1# portions. Here's the recipe:

5#'s meat
    Chili Powder 1/3 cup
    Paprika 1/3 cup
    Pepper flakes 1 tsp
    Cayenne powder 1/2 tsp
    Salt 1 Tbs
    Black Pepper 1 Tbs
    Cumin 1 Tbs
    Corriander 1 Tbs
    Garlic Powder 1 Tbs
    Onion flakes 1 Tbs
    Flour cup
    White Vinegar cup

I put the coriander, cumin, pepper flakes and onion flakes in a coffee grinder.

Cube and coursely grind the meat, then add spices and flour (hold the vinegar for now). Kneed the meat and spices to thoroughly mix them, then add the vinegar and kneed some more. Run through a fine grinder blade and either stuff casings or just put in ziplock bags and freeze what you won't use in a few days. I found the flour tends to lump when you put the vinegar in at the same time, easier to mix it in later.

Goes great in scrambled eggs, huevos rancheros, or as a filling for tacos, enchiladas etc.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The fat from the belly cavity on moose is hard to beat. White and pure.

I used to add pork fat to my sausage and burger. My, very trusted, butcher told me this year that pork fat goes bad in the freezer long before beef or moose fat. He has been in the business for over 35 years and I trust his knowledge. He said it shows up as a gamey taste after about 6 months.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it