Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disgusting and disrespectful hunters

Default Disgusting and disrespectful hunters

I am not a routine poster on this forum but I was disgusted this season so far. I am a lifelong Alaskan whom shot his first moose over 50 years ago so I have been at this a long time. Many hunting parties have no respect for the beautiful land we hunt in and those who come behind us. We had a 3 generation hunting party this week in the Eureka area with my kids and 5 granddaughters age 6-9. We choose a spot we have camped in and is used routinely by other parties near a main trail. Every campsite we have used in the last few years is overrun with human waste. People can't even use a concentrated area but poop everywhere and walk away. It is like a minefield of toilet paper and poop. We are teaching our grand kids to leave no trace camping and hunting so they and their kids have a place. We pack a portable toilet and toilet shelter and pack it out, period. there are modern systems and bags to allow this with ease and no mess. At least carry a shovel and bury the waste and burn the toilet paper. At the very least use rv paper so the first rain it disintegrates. Garbage is next issue. We had a large group pass us on the way to the black river that included a F350 lifted buggy with 4 wheeler on the back and about 10 side by sides and 4 wheelers in the party. They camped about 1/2 mile past us at a river crossing and must have left 30 beer cans on the fire pit and trash all over.f If any group had the means to carry the trash out they did but again no respect. I won't even get into the party who camped with in a 1/4 mile from us whom had a fancy buggy that shot a moose up the mountain they climbed with the buggy but then were too tired to deal with it and gutted it and left it to deal with in the morning and a bear got to it. They told us they were then afraid to go retrieve anything salvageable until we told them the trooper helicopter had flow over and they better deal with it. We need to start respecting the land and game or we will become another California with everything controlled for us and very restricted. Sorry for the long rant.

akexpress cant agree with you more so many people are just freaking pigs dont care about the land or game. Sad your grandchildren had to see that. It still blows my mind when people will bring in all that crap IE beer cans but then cant pack them out hell its lighter at that point. Sad
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. My daughter is 3 and I don't want her to think these things are acceptable but when others leave garbage and stuff it looks bad. Sad people are quick to pull a trigger but don't wanna do the real work and would rather leave an animal.

What annoys me is beer bottles; I saw one group once breaking them and tossing them in the Tyone. Next time you get stuck in a boat and a piece of glass goes through your boot you will understand what I'm talking about. Not to mention broken glass bottles in the middle of pull outs, great for tires. People don't just keep it to one campfire spot either, there has to be 8 different places groups have had campfires in a campsite these days!

This thread opened my eyes to the Alaskan 'white rose'. Its good to remind folks that there ARE ways to deal with waste and that other people ARE doing the right thing.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=rose

The luggable Loo is a great invention, and only like 10 bucks. Highly recommended for those hunts where you can pack one in.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

It's bad everywhere - last month in the Whites I found a hole someone had crapped in and dumped toilet paper into but they hadn't bothered to fill it in, and I found myself thinking it was great that at least they'd used a hole. Ugh.

I wonder if a PR campaign making the connection between leaving a mess and the state budget might help. Everybody complains about state spending but these bad actors are behaving in a way that costs the state money and they're part of the problem. And akexpress34 is exactly right - leaving this kind of mess can only lead to more regulation. I'm trying to get a dogsled race started up on BLM land and they're being super tetchy about cleanup because they're dealing with this day in, day out.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Someone crapped right on the trail last year. Left it there toilet paper and all. Nasty. I understand your frustration you are not alone. I hauled out literally an entire bag of trash left in the marsh this weekend from "hunters". I was furious. I still am. I sit in that spot on occasion and don't like to be surrounded by waste let alone what I know that it will do to the environment. We burned a massive pile of garbage someone left behind at their caribou camp on the denail this year as well. Im not really sure what to do about it other than try to police my area and take care of the garbage that others leave as well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I voice my opinion on this often here. I'm usually told that the poo will be gone by spring so I'm wrong to complain. Every trip to the Denali I have to clean up poo before the dog is let out. It wasn't this way back in the 1980's or early 1990's, but around 2005 it became more and more common to find turds all over the side of the road at every wide spot. As a child in Nevada we never left home without a shovel. It appears that nobody in Alaska owns a shovel or thinks to take one with them camping/hunting.

Don't worry - Cabela's has you covered824.jpg

I couldn't believe it when I walked into the store and saw them selling that stuff.

Well I can tell you how to narrow down the suspects, you can start with the people who don't have dogs... Seriously though this has been a major frustration since I moved up here. I love Alaska but what is with all the poop in the outdoors. it isn't so bad in places where motor travel is prohibited (and don't get me started, I am a hiker/backpacker/4 wheeler/sledder) so I represent both sides. For instance I live close to the resurrection pass trail and use it frequently. We rarely see trash on the trail or at the cabins but this last snowmachine season one of the cabins we stayed at had garbage, beer cans and poop everywhere!!!!!!!!!! people had been walking PAST the outhouse and crapping all around it and it was in good condition and not stinky. We must have packed out 15-20 beer cans and that many water bottles. I just don't get it. Rant over...

I'm sure you will find folks here that believe we don't have an impact on our environment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

It's rapidly getting worse everywhere. I think it simply represents an increasing self-centeredness among all of our society.

I agree with everyone here it's disgusting! I'm wondering if it's not a learned behavior because I've been up high on some mountains that obviously other hunters have been on and found quite a few old tin cans, MRE containers, and broken glass "hidden" under some rocks. This trash had certainly been there for well over 30yrs just guessing by the style of cans and bottles that were there. Again not an isolated incident.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

That crap has to stop! Cover it up! And…I can understand leaving the moose overnight, if necessary, but bear season is open there isn't it?

This is a real HOT Button topic with all DECENT Alaskan folk...quickly becoming an endangered species up here! We are all the stewards of the future and what kind of message are these worthless scumbag ******s guilty of such hideous behavior...sending to those young and impressionable who witness such flagrant disrespect for the environment? Utter disregard for anyone or anything these days and a complete lack of respect has become such a rampant epidemic these days and it all goes back to the same two truths: "Stupid people should not breed" AND "You just can't fix Stupid"! Practicing "Zero Trace" only takes a few extra minutes and I'm doing my best to teach my now 13 Alaskan born grandchildren that we MUST leave the once pristine places we visit cleaner than we found it...even though it not our mess, but I feel it's fighting an uphill losing battle!

I simply can't fathom how some people find it too laborious to dig a hole or roll over a rock to crap in... in the absence of anything better- go to the middle of the thickest willow thicket you can find and drop the deuce there where it will find its way back to the environment out of sight. Burn the TP to ashes and be done with it. This isn't rocket science. Nothing worse than stepping 3' off trail and finding a field of "tundra flowers" and crap covering everything. My dog has better manners...

People leaving trash? I'd just like to choke them out...and when they come too? Choke 'em out AGAIN!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Once, while expressing my extreme frustration, an environmental attorney replied, "..... you have to remember, you are dealing with a lot of stupid people here."

Generally, it appears as if 'Leave No Trace' as well as 'Tread Lightly' principles exist as little more than quaint artifacts within the larger populace.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Well, I figure that come the revolution or whatever, these folks will be among the first to go, from cholera and bacterial infections.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Have you ever been to Walmart? I hate to generalize, but if you've ever been to a Walmart and taken a look around some of these people are those crapping in the middle of the trail, others are the ones crapping just off the trail, most are the ones not burying their crap. You can tell which ones they are by the dull look in their eyes and the fact that they do not acknowledge the existence of anybody else in their vicinity. Chances are they carry an I phone or other I products.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast