Thread: This can happen to any boat.

Default This can happen to any boat.

I woke up this morning to read this sad story and was reminded of the times this same log jam almost took my life , my brothers life and a friends life on 5 differant times. I've been going around this jam for 50 years, its about 1/4 mile long and all the river water is going under it with little water in the main channel where the boats have to go. ( almost all boats will pick up rocks in the jet if the water is AVERAGE. You need to be ready to jump if you lose power because the force of the water that goes under the jam will suck anything down under and there is no escape. I am glad that Gary Pitt Jr was able to get out alive and send prayers to his family for his loss of his dad. ( hope he is found ) When my brother and I were in our teens we always wanted to blow that thing up with explosives, but were told that it would just jam up further down river. I've been going up there for 50 years and it was there when I started going up there. Just be careful all.http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016/...turned-tragic/

Tragic stuff....condolences to the family....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

So very sad. Tragic loss.

I guess I should ID myself for those of you who dont know my av. I'm Elvin Stewart, My Dad (Jack Stewart) was the man who sold the Pogo mine to Sum/Teck.
    We lived at central creek when I was a kid, and that log jam was a mile away.