Thread: Electric line hauler for long line

Default Electric line hauler for long line

I am currently running a Honda power pack for my long line hauler but it is getting to be on its last legs. I am considering changing to an electric pot puller to avoid all the noise etc. associated with the gas powered set up. I am wondering if the electric ones have enough power to haul a 30 hook subsistence halibut long line?

Talk to Potbuilder about the Electradyxe puller. I believe it will do what you want it to do. Pretty stout pullers.
    Being Built (27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse)
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    Boat Name is PRIME TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by AKRazn View Post
    I am currently running a Honda power pack for my long line hauler but it is getting to be on its last legs. I am considering changing to an electric pot puller to avoid all the noise etc. associated with the gas powered set up. I am wondering if the electric ones have enough power to haul a 30 hook subsistence halibut long line?
    This might be ideal for your needs, AKRazn...priced right, too. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bpo/5749336143.html With a capstan, you can control line speed/retrieve rate. With a straight puller with sheaves there's only one speed and flipping the power on/off a lot is hard on the switch.

I set my long line anywhere from 5-10 times year. I actually enjoy pulling by hand, its a great workout, and nothing quite like feeling the tug when you have 5-6 nice fish on the line.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

A Electra Dyne will pull that longline just fine. I have sent quite a few to SE for hauling LL gear. Capstan head is fine for picking up loads a short distance but sucks for hauling lots of rope, just think what can happen with a stretched line under load and then it takes a riding turn, line starts going around the head wrapping everything that it can catch, throw in a gangion & halibut hook for good measure to add to the disaster. Please call me if you have any questions, 907 775-1692.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I sure wish Electradyne made one like that but with a gypsy for pulling anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    This might be ideal for your needs, AKRazn...priced right, too. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bpo/5749336143.html With a capstan, you can control line speed/retrieve rate. With a straight puller with sheaves there's only one speed and flipping the power on/off a lot is hard on the switch.
    Boat Name is PRIME TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I sure wish Electradyne made one like that but with a gypsy for pulling anchors.
    Well, that one on CL is a Electra-dyne...Could you explain the "gypsy"? New term to me.

Just like a Lewmar has that grabs the rode and puts it in the locker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boat Name is PRIME TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by AKRazn View Post
    I am currently running a Honda power pack for my long line hauler but it is getting to be on its last legs.
    What part is getting old? You can just buy a new Honda motor swap out the engine if that is what is getting old. I have a Lifan 8hp 6:1 with capstan head on it I got new from Amazon for $289! It is a Honda knock off. I was considering the same thing as you because I too pull pots and have a subsistence halibut card. My in-laws have the Light Commercial Safety Puller on their boat and I have wondered about the Electradynes too. The Safety Pullers are a lot quieter and enjoyable to use, and I bet the Electradyne is even better still by a long shot. But both require some serious batteries.

Sobie2

The Electra Dyne's are a serious piece of equipment. I have yet to hear of a single complaint and our local rep potbuilder stands behind his equipment. I don't think you would be disappointed plus it can be flush mounted in about a hundred different ways to take up minimal space on the boat.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Well, that one on CL is a Electra-dyne...Could you explain the "gypsy"? New term to me.

capstan, gypsy, nhead all different names for the same thing, all depends on how PC the gang you hang around with is .

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    capstan, gypsy, nhead all different names for the same thing, all depends on how PC the gang you hang around with is .
    Steve. When are they gonna make an e-dyne as an anchor winch that can be mounted up on the bow with a gypsy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boat Name is PRIME TIME!

[QUOTE=Rob B;1558237]Steve. When are they gonna make an e-dyne as an anchor winch that can be mounted up on the bow with a gypsy?

They have been making those ED's the same way for 40 years so i don't think they will change much anytime soon. Just set up your new ride with some fairlead rollers back to a nice flush mounted ED on the back of the house. You & Brian can make a nice anchor pulpit/roller that self deploys the anchor and you'll never have to go on the bow. OR Add the capstan head to the ED you already have and you'll have the best of both worlds.
    ED on Mike H boat.jpgED with capstan.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692