Thread: TMA sheep DS103...going back in..advice

Default TMA sheep DS103...going back in..advice

Hello All,
    After 18 years of applying, my wife and I drew DS103 on a party draw and booked a flight with 40 mile for Aug 26 back in Feb. We flew in for a 10'day hunt and landed up high, but only made it 5 days. Saw a few small Rams. Grandma was watching the kids and had a heck of a fall, mild concussion and black and blue face, so we had to come out early. Wife wasn't having much fun anyway and decided she doesn't want to be a sheep hunter anymore.

I can't let my sheep hunt end this way and I will be going back without her and am looking for your secret TMA late season, easy hiking, sheep filled honey hole 🤐!!!!!! I was Looking at West Fork up by the glacier but sounds like a lot of the areas won't be holding hunters that late this season and open to suggestions. They won't be able to land me up high due to more than likely snow conditions, so it will have to be a lower river bank destination. Will be going in next Wednesday Sept 14th and coming out the 21st. Any suggestions, stories and pics of terrain would be appreciated. Thanks Josh

Wish I was in your shoes. Anyway, I would call the biologist for that area and talk with them. They will likely have off road vehicle access points, walk in access points, and maybe a good idea of what population of sheep within specific drainages. That's where I would start. I've hunted next door in the DCUA. Hope this helps.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

The first area I went into, has a sheep or two harvested every year, but that is about all the info I received the first time I spoke with them. No recent count info. I am guessing the Robertson and West Fork have a few sheep taken each year as well due to the size, but you are right Mr Grayling. I should see if this late in the season would be better to hunt back by the glaciers or further out. I researched my first area with no success and now am trying to gather as much Intel on a new area in a short period of time. I will be flying in. Thanks, Josh

Good luck, if only you could spot and get a better look before landing. I figured the biologists would have more info and also the pilot or pilots. I hope you get one. I'm going the last weekend of the season to get my wife one in a harvest area. Hopefully the snow pushes them down.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Ask Leif about Hidden Valley, it is an awesome place.

PM sent.......
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Sheep Hunter and Ramhunter, thanks for the suggestions. I will run them by Leif when I get up there. Hard part about the last minute second chances are not being able to talk to Leif much about areas since he is flying sheep, moose and caribou hunters around and I had to go back up to work for a week. I am packed from the first hunt so after I get home from the slope I got 8 hours to turn and burn up to Tok and go over locations. Thank you again for helping me with a last minute second chance.

Josh

Hey Josh, send a PM if you want some details.