Thread: Help with ID'ing a flare

Default Help with ID'ing a flare

With the amount of knowledge here this shouldn't take long. I "acquired" the flare in the attached image (sorry about the bad photo).

The actual flare is about 5/8 of an inch in diameter and one and a half inches long and the threaded end is of red plastic (does this identify it as a red flare?). The flare screws onto the blaze orange firing mechanism and the mechanism is actualted via a spring loaded finger tab.

The flares are in a plastic "magazine" that holds nine flares and the firing mechanism clips on the top of the "magazine".

Does anyone know what type of flare this is, and if the flares are still available. It has no identifying marks. I have a suspicion that it is military but I'm only guessing.

And a flare colour question to finish. Am I being told right that a red flare means "HELP", a green flare is"HERE I AM" and a white flare is "EVERYTHING OK, NO HELP REQUIRED"

Thanks

oz

il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Freddies sells the refills.
    B&J sells them
    Walmark sells them
    About 24 bucks for the whole kit in a tube with a yellow top.
    13 bucks for the refill.

Same company that makes most of the flares.

Sorry I did not see where you were when I responded. They are still made I just bought some for my Mokai to lighten the load.

I will look at the maker and post the company name.

Cheers

Thanks for that alaskamokaiman, surely the fun police here wouldn't have stopped someone from importing them, it's just a matter of finding them.

It'd be great if you could get a name, as I said, mine don't got any markings.

oz

Sorry for the delay.
    Orion is the maker Item # 949 $22.95 was the price.

3 flares, launcher and floating container, they do sell refills

Thanks a bunch alaskamokaiman, for 23 bucks, I'll buy some when I get there and give them to my guide when I leave. For size and weight they are hard to beat. Hopefullt I can find an importer here, I have emailed Orion.

oz

Thumbs up Mini flares in Australia

Is ozhunter I live in Sydney and have just got a Whitworth's catalogue through the post. Irene Chandler company on page 91 of the catalogue they have a set of mini flares were $99.90, and they do mail order seeking get some when you get back from Alaska, and not risk getting arrested by Customs or the police on your way back in their website address is www.whitworths.com.au. The catalogue number of the mini flares is 74215N Hope this helps. Have a great time Alaska Cheers Karl.

Thanks for that pommy n oz. That looks like what I am after, they have updated from a thread to a bayonet fitting to attach the flare to the launcher.

No way I would try and take any flares on a plane. The item that alaskamokaiman posted is available where I am going, 23 bucks for a launcher and three flares so I'll get one of them when I ge there for emergencies and give them away when I leave.

Does Whitworths still have a store on Victoria road at Balmain ?

Thanks

oz