Thread: Road to Tanana

Default Road to Tanana

I just heard there is a public road from Manley to within 6 miles of Tanana. $11 million dollars. No public boat parking. Locals only. Anybody have any more info on when the tax paying public will be able to access the Yukon from this road? The road might make the run down the Yukon from the bridge a lot more tolerable.

Read that the local corporation or some other native entity that owns the land by the river may make a fee area for parking for boaters. When though I am not sure.

There has been a fair amount of coverage on the road. Here's one article:

http://www.adn.com/opinions/2016/08/...e-yukon-river/

I haven't run the Yukon downstream of the bridge before, but I have driven out this way. You're probably looking at over 6 hours from Fairbanks to get to the river. And that road is in pretty poor shape. Personally....I'll wait until some others get the bugs out of the system before heading that way and parking my truck there for a week.

There is already access to the Tanana river near Manley, so you're just cutting off about 60 miles (less really) by going to the Yukon instead of running down the Tanana.

It's only 15' wide....so theres not room for vehichles to pass....not really a road

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    get the bugs out of the system before heading that way and parking my truck there for a week.

There is already access to the Tanana river near Manley, so you're just cutting off about 60 miles (less really) by going to the Yukon instead of running down the Tanana.
    I don't think the road to Manley is THAT bad. But, honestly, haven't been on it for a couple years.
    That 60 miles to Tanana includes Squaw Crossing which can be shallow and hard to read. One of the articles on the road had a pic or 2. I don't think there is any thing resembling a boat launch yet where the road meets the Yukon.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I was through there about 2 weeks ago. Not the worst road I've ever been on, but you're realistically doing 30-40 mph in a lot of places if you're hauling a boat. It was a legitimate 4-5 hour drive from Fairbanks.

On top of this they were doing quite a bit of construction (we weren't on the new road) on the Elliot. More of a dirt/mud road than gravel as you see in other places like the Taylor, Dalton or Denali highways.