Thread: Skeg guard

Default Skeg guard

Outfitting a 19' with lift and 82 9.9 Johnson 2 stroke. Anybody have experience between Rockhopper and Mac's guards. Or os anyone up here making one now?

every one is different on this one I made the one I used foe a lot of years , if you have a welder you can use make one SID

We tried the kind of guards that were a ring around the prop and stopped using them after breaking a couple drive shafts. The problem we had was that we would get small gravel caught between the guard and the prop, causing the prop to seize up and torqueing the drive shaft. We went back to our home-made versions with a plate bolted to the cavitation plate and a rod that ran down along the front of the motor and extended out the back under the skeg/prop. Doesn't protect from those odd side hits, but keeps you off the bottom and doesn't wedge rocks where they cause the prop to stop turning.

what anchskier stated is correct you protect the leading edge of the gear box an wear the props down, there is no way to stop the wear of the props ,
    you will use up a few as you go explore the streams in South central Alaska , , even when you put the rod down the leading edge of the skag, to the tip of the skeg, all the ones I built passed the tip broke off, I used 2 of the rods on the leading edge what best was when in tandum not side by side , also a small u shape bracket that is bolted to the skeg , used 4 bolts to bolt the plate to the top of the cavitation plate an one to bolt through the U bracket to the skeg , the rod I used was 1/2 inch cold roll even at that you will bend it over time [ mine did ] SID

Have used several variations of homemade ones but by far the best one that i've used is the commercial one Mac's River Runner. Beats anything I've made.

I agree with the Mac's River Runner being the best I've found. Running one of his larger ones now, 50hp Honda on James Bay canoe with hydraulic jack plate.

the unit ANCHSKiER pointed out, with the rod down the leading edge of the skeg from the cavation plat,e down to the tip of the skag also helps to potect the gear box some , going up or down a silt filled rivers you will hit the gear box some,
    the lift you installed will lift the motor up with one finger,even under full power , an you can take it off,
    with 3 clips an put the canoe on top of your TK. / CAR with out the lift on the canoe , an reinstall the lift in less than one min .,it is real easy to . install it that way, SID

Thanks for the info. will make one this winter