Thread: What was going on off the Homer Spit?

Default What was going on off the Homer Spit?

About 4pm yesterday I flew over the Homer Spit and there must have been at least 30 boats right off the end. I didn't see any wakes so I'm wondering what they were all doing there. Did I miss a derby?

Strangest thing. All those boats out there and in 2 days I saw one fish caught while coming and going from the harbor and watching from the end of the spit. Did not seem to be hardly anyone spreading out across the bay to try other spots . Even the charters were taking folks money to pass back and forth not catching anything that I could see all day long. Must be folks that fish the other port areas which have no fish to speak of this year. Guess some of them don't know about all the other places to fish in the bay but the charters certainly should. The only salmon sign I could see on the sonar out there was out toward the green can and they were down 100 to 200 feet.

Default What was going on off the Homer Spit?

I fished for 6 hours over around the islands on Saturday and nothing. A buddy trolled pogibshi and along the bluffs and got skunked the same day. I stopped at the spit before calling it a day and bagged 4 kings in 30 minutes. Sounds like it may have slowed a bit from what you saw yesterday but the fish were definitely there. Last year about this time was also busy off the spit. If I was paying a guide though I wouldn't be happy trolling off the spit unless it was the end of the day with the fish box already full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any size? Heard lots of 5 pounders?
    Quote Originally Posted by timinhomer View Post
    I fished for 6 hours over around the islands on Saturday and nothing. A buddy trolled pogibshi and along the bluffs and got skunked the same day. I stopped at the spit before calling it a day and bagged 4 kings in 30 minutes. Sounds like it may have slowed a bit from what you saw yesterday but the fish were definitely there. Last year about this time was also busy off the spit. If I was paying a guide though I wouldn't be happy trolling off the spit unless it was the end of the day with the fish box already full.

I saw a lot of jacks in the nets but I got a couple sizeable fish. The good ones are in the minority but can't complain about action in such close proximity to the office.

Absolutely! I never complain worth a fish biting! Hope the fall is as good as it was last year for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by timinhomer View Post
    I saw a lot of jacks in the nets but I got a couple sizeable fish. The good ones are in the minority but can't complain about action in such close proximity to the office.

Lots of dinks. My boy and I trolled 40 minutes Sunday evening and hooked up 5 times,landed three. Biggest was only about 4 lbs. didn't keep any. A few in the mid-high teens but not on my boat.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Charterboat Operator

Pretty fun and close lill bite there👍🏻 I can tell my wife I'm just going to harbor to fuel the boat and still get 15 mins of troll time in 😉.. Woooops hope she doesn't read this...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Pretty fun and close lill bite there👍🏻 I can tell my wife I'm just going to harbor to fuel the boat and still get 15 mins of troll time in 😉.. Woooops hope she doesn't read this...

Maybe she won't read this....but let us know how you 'splain that "fishy smell".

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Maybe she won't read this....but let us know how you 'splain that "fishy smell".
    Easy! Some poor little 12 year old kid with his dad up from oklahoma had just so happened to hook into a decent fish and were clueless on how to clean the monster! Naturally, being the well-respected do-gooder he is, Captain Nemo helped them clean their fish. Out of gratitude the kid gave him a fillet or two...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    Easy! Some poor little 12 year old kid with his dad up from oklahoma had just so happened to hook into a decent fish and were clueless on how to clean the monster! Naturally, being the well-respected do-gooder he is, Captain Nemo helped them clean their fish. Out of gratitude the kid gave him a fillet or two...
    Well played indeed

Anyone have a current report for the king/jack fishing off the spit?

I am headed down tomorrow for my son's hockey and wondering if it is worth taking a boat for a quick fishing trip.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I am headed down tomorrow for my son's hockey and wondering if it is worth taking a boat for a quick fishing trip.
    Always worth it...

Little king fishing

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Charterboat Operator

image.jpgToday, at 9am 10/3/16. 42 feet down in 46 feet of h2o, flasher bait, 30 seconds of trolling right In front of the hot tub, just me and the dog👍🏻. Dropped in set up turned around and didn't make it threw cabin door and drag was burning .. That your hot off the press spit report.. F/V Huntress..