Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw winch

Default Chainsaw winch

I've heard about using a chainsaw winch to pull your boat off the sandbar when stuck. I was looking for information on this set up. Does anybody have any suggestions to brand, availability in Fairbanks, size, cost? How big of one do I need to pull my XS off the beach?

In addition, what is the most popular type of anchor for river use. I used a big bruce anchor for my AK Searunner, but that wouldn't work too good in the river I think. Thanks, John

These are two options:

http://www.madsens1.com/capstan.htm

http://www.portablewinch.com/index.html

or Rods saw shop has the standard cable type in stock.

I mounted a electric winch in the bow:

I've owned and worn out two Rule chainsaw winches. I got my money's worth from them, but my next winch will be a Lewis.

http://www.madsens1.com/lewis.htm

Put this baby on any heavy duty chainsaw you have (not a small homeowner model) and it'll get the job done. I know guys that like capstan winches, but I wouldn't give you a nickel for one. I like steel cable and the ability to use pulley blocks to increase the pull capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid
    I know guys that like capstan winches, but I wouldn't give you a nickel for one.
    Any other reason other than the ability of doubling the line with cable? I have never used a capstan other than the hand powered rope-along style but the continuous pull looks like a great feature on a gas powered unit.

Because I don't trust rope. It abrades easily, it stretches, and it behaves differently when it's wet, let alone muddy. I'm not comfortable standing at the winch with any heavy load on the line, but I'm more comfortable with cable. My winches have been multi-use tools. Dragging trees, pulling boats up the bank for winter, etc. I can't imagine pulling stumps with rope. I often use two snatch blocks with my winch and the cable's about as tight as an A string on a guitar. And then I get to root around with an axe and a handyman jack while the winch line is loaded. No rope for this kid.
    Last edited by Mr. Pid; 06-24-2006 at 19:55.

I forgot one. I had to use my chainsaw winch to drag my Yamaha Viking (heavy) out of a deep hole I found when a snow bridge broke and I dropped it into a creek (now VERY heavy). I wonder how a capstan winch would have worked pulling wet rope in zero degree temps. Not good I'd imagine. Come to think of it, I've also used it to pull an skiplane out of overflow. Yep, they've served me well.

Default Thanks

I sure like the set up you have on your XS, but after reading your install thread I think it will be a winter project for me. Don't hardly have time 'cept to work and play until then.

I checked at Rods and he has a capstan type, but it out of stock of anything else. I'm heading up the Salcha in the morning so I guess I'll just bring my comalong and planty of line.

Thanks for the info. No bites on the anchor questions? I know somebody uses an anchor up here. John

I use a inexpensive 20# Navy style anchor and it seems to work fine. I have one that is vinyl coated and one that is just painted. The painted one seems to bite a little better but the vinyl coated one is easier on the boat.

Default River Anchor

I have a winch mounted on the front and a pulley system so I can turn the boat 180 degrees using the winch and; I modified a fluke anchor to grab at a low angle. A anchor is only as good as the type of ground you have. I always carry a Hi-lift jack and chain saw to cut brush to put under the boat to break the suction.

Consider AmSteel Blue rope, it is stronger and much safer than cable.

Also don't forget about the parachute trick. Throw one in the river and have it securely tied to your boat and let it pull you off the gravel bar.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Consider AmSteel Blue rope, it is stronger and much safer than cable.
    Refer:
    Synthetic ATV winch line, 3/16"

Default Chute...

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    Also don't forget about the parachute trick. Throw one in the river and have it securely tied to your boat and let it pull you off the gravel bar.
    Depending on the current of course, it'll rip you off dry ground!! You don't need deep water either.

Couldnt find a corperate site but these are what we carry and they work extremely well.

http://www.portablewinch.com/en/

I think having the winch not permanently mounted gives far more flexibility in more situations.

Cheers
    Skinny water addict

Default Heavy but useful

My Dad has an old winch mounted to a SKill saw, we have pulled many moose out with it and a couple of boats, ours ways about 60 lbs, but will pull a 50" bull up a 5 foot bank pretty well. We use the cbale on the winch and supliment with rope to get the distance, but we are limited to the length of cable. We spend a lot of time rearranging rope since the cable is about 30 feet long.

Mr PID,

If you have worn out two Rule Chainsaw winches what is the possibi;lity of acquiring one or both from you? I have one I bought second hand and whoever had it welded a gear and a shaft together after they lost the spring washer.

Thanks,
    walt_dotter@yahoo.com

Wow, you resurrected an old thread with this one. I don't have the parts you need. They saw the trash long ago. If you have the Echo powerhead model you can still get parts. The old Homelite powered model has been obsolete for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by akdotter View Post
    Mr PID,

If you have worn out two Rule Chainsaw winches what is the possibi;lity of acquiring one or both from you? I have one I bought second hand and whoever had it welded a gear and a shaft together after they lost the spring washer.

Thanks,
    walt_dotter@yahoo.com
    I guess it is worth a shot but that MR PID's post in this thread was from 06-25-2006!!

All in good fun but this definitely calls for me to break out the...

Thread Dredge!!

Hopefully you will get lucky and someone has what you need. It has happened before

akmike30 has a chainsaw winch he bought from AIH that works very well. It pulled my Phantom about 200' to deeper water when I had it stuck high and dry early this bear season. He also pulled a Duckworth 600' last year off a sand bar with the same set-up. That's proof enough for me - just make sure you buy some AmSteel Blue rope - it won't strech, is light, and I believe it floats. I think the unit cost $800.

Here is a link to see a picture of his winch. Personally, I wouldn't have one mounted to the hull.. it limits you to much IMO. If its portable, you can use it under any conditions on the river, to pull the rear end of your boat around, in camp, to hoist a moose, etc.

I'm still saving up for mine.. not that far to go.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

That picture shows a current model Rule winch. Older ones were red and had a Homelite engine. The current ones are gray and use an Echo engine. Both have weak frames. The winch twists away from the powerhead. Not good since it's a belt drive unit. Really inconvenient since AIH closed their tool repair division, too. They work fine for small chores. A Lewis Winch is a much better tool for heavy work. AIH sells a good aluminum come-along that's a little less convenient to use but is a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the weight. That would be the better choice for most guys with boats. A little physical work is fair penance for being careless enough to drive the boat out of the water. In all honesty, a couple of 2x4s for levers are the best tool around for getting a boat off a bar.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast