Thread: Small game scouting

Default Small game scouting

Looking for places in the Mat-su valley to hunt small game. Heard of Petersville Rd., Schrock Rd., Pt. Mckensie, Archangel Rd., gravel roads off the Parks Hwy. in Houston toward Talkeetna, Hatchers Pass, atv trails off the Palmer-Fishook, etc.....Can anyone give me information on the above mentioned roads/places? It would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm looking primarily at bowhunting grouse/ptari/rabbits. Thanks again for any info.

Anywhere around gravel. Of course, some of that may include roads which I believe is illegal. The locals do it anyway. You will often find hare and grouse running around in the undergrowth nearby.

Work the edges of gravelly lakes and streams. It is legal.

Default Rabbits

Hunt The Flats On The Right Side Of The Glen Highway,to Get To The Best Spot If You Are Driving From Anchorage After You Cross The Knik River Take The Glen Highway Palmer Exit Take The First Right At The Top Of The Hill Just Past The Little Rv Park It Is Easy To Miss The Road Has A Name But I Cant Remember It.it Is A Dirt Road That Drops Down Onto The Flats Cross The Creek And Then Cross The Railroad Tracks Follow The Road Staying Close To The The Railroad Tracks The Road Will End At A Yellow Pipe Gate Park There And Walk Along The Tracks Toward The Knik River Hunt The Woods Along The Right Side Of The Tracks Between The Highway And The Railroad Tracks Lots Of Rabbits All Along The Tracks Sometimes They Are In Pockets So It May Take Some Walking Around To Find Them There Is A Power Line That Runs Along The Tracks, Most Times If You Walk Along The Line You Can See Rabbits In The Woods Look For Willows With The Bark Chewed Off Find That And The Rabbits Wont Be Far.it Might Take A While But The Rabbits Are Always There Year After Year And When You Find Them You Will Find Alot,it Was Easy To Kill Seven Or Eight With A Bow,with A Shot Gun You Could Get As Many As You Want To Carry Out,sometimes You Might See Other Hunters But Most People Dont Go Far Off The Railroad Tracks I Moved Out Of Alaska Sep.2006 So It Has Been A While Since I Hunted That Spot But I Hunted There Every Year Since 1988 And The Rabbits Are Always There So I Am Sure They Will Be There This Year.i Have Killed A Few Ruff And Spruce Grouse In There Too.best Time Is In Oct. Right Before The Snow Falls Because The Rabbits Are White And The Cover Is Brown Also Some Years There Are Lots Of Trap Lines In There You Dont Want To Disturb,good Luck And Dont Give Up They Are Always In Ther All Winter Long,it Is The Best Spot For Within A Hundred Miles Of Anchorage

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the info., it's greatly appreciated. You're not the only one to point that location out. I'll be trying it out in a month or so, I'll let you know what I get in to..........

AKMike,

Your talking about the old glenn turnoff?

Jon

Default S.glen Hwy

Go Past The Old Glen Exit Cross Over The Knik River Bridges When You Get To The New Overpas Instead Of The Parks Hwy Toward Wasilla Take The Glen Hwy Exit Toward Palmer.