Thread: DS170 Metal Creek / Grasshopper Valley Sheep Hunt - Landing strips

Default DS170 Metal Creek / Grasshopper Valley Sheep Hunt - Landing strips

Planning a sheep hunt in the metal creek/ grasshopper valley in 2 weeks. I am looking for recommendations on which landing strip would put me closest to the sheep population. It is my understanding that the charted strip at the entrance of grasshopper valley could accommodate a slightly larger plane than a cub, this may be beneficial if i want to bring another person with me in one trip, but I wouldn't want to land here if this limits opportunities or puts us over 10 miles from the sheep.
    Thanks in advance

Eagle River, AK

I've never hunted Grasshopper, but I flew in and landed on two of the strips in there this summer. It's not a very long valley - perhaps I'm wrong having only spent 20 minutes on the ground, but it sure seems like it wouldn't be a game-changer regardless.

Do you not already have a flight booked? Getting really late in the game to be figuring out what type of plane will be taking you in.

Thanks Brian. Yes I have a charter lined up, but still no determination on which landing strip. I guess we will have to see how the terrain looks when flying in.