Thread: Harold Johynson Danish Krag

Default Harold Johynson Danish Krag

Quite recently I came across a custom Danish Krag in 450 Alaskan that is attributed to Harold Johnson, Cooper Landing gunsmith famous for his Model 71 Winchester conversions to same caliber. I was told it was a relatively early experiment for him. It does have the same small stamp on the barrel I've seen on the several Model 71s I've seen. It has a beautiful maple stock on it, nicely fitted.
    Does anyone have any information on this Danish Krag or others Mr. Johnson may have used? Thanks

Can we see a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by wyoske View Post
    Can we see a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry,I don't have the gun. If I could get positive provenance, I would have grabbed it, though it was pretty pricey.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d-Johnson-info

Have you seen this thread? Maybe contact Johnson's son and see if he can help establish provenance on this Krag his dad and/or Fuller possibly worked on. The son was a member on this forum (maybe still is) a few years back.

Default pricey

If it is the same gun I think it is - yea it is pretty pricey in my book for any converted Danish Krag by just about any gunsmith.

If I recall the price was around $900.

A neat gun, but still...

And it not a Mauser to boot

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Sorry,I don't have the gun. If I could get positive provenance, I would have grabbed it, though it was pretty pricey.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Well, we're all entitled to our opinions. Personally, I've always liked Krags, especially the Norvegian and Danish models, both stronger than the American used Krag Jorgensons in 30 Government, because of the secondary bolt guide lug.
    I love Alaska, and to me, Harold Johnson isn't just another gunsmith, along with his partner Bill Fuller. What I was looking for was anyone who knows anything about this gun and if Mr. Johnson built any more on an action other than a Model 71.