Thread: S&W 329 Holster Suggestions?

Default S&W 329 Holster Suggestions?

I picked up a 329 this afternoon for general woods bumming, fishing and to tote when I'm bowhunting.

Any suggestions for a holster? I'd likely prefer something synthetic to leather being this would be a field type revolver toting in all weather.

I generally wear binos in a chest pack- so that real estate is spoken for- I did look at Eberlestock's "nose gunner" but that seems like a lot to wear up front. Maybe go with a chest holster like a Diamond D or Survival Sheath and rely the binos elsewhere?

Maybe a paddle holster that would fit on a pack belt or on my pants when I drop the pack?

Looking for some ideas.

Thanks in advance.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Have you checked to see how well it fits into the top of the Bono carrier.......or the pocket in front.

While.........I don't consider it a first, second, or third choice, but I finally bought a Blackhawk Drop-leg rig, for special times, when I am going slow, and fully loaded (With a 55 Gal. Drum in front and one in back.......yes, empty).

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I picked up a 329 this afternoon for general woods bumming, fishing and to tote when I'm bowhunting.

Any suggestions for a holster? I'd likely prefer something synthetic to leather being this would be a field type revolver toting in all weather.

I generally wear binos in a chest pack- so that real estate is spoken for- I did look at Eberlestock's "nose gunner" but that seems like a lot to wear up front. Maybe go with a chest holster like a Diamond D or Survival Sheath and rely the binos elsewhere?

Maybe a paddle holster that would fit on a pack belt or on my pants when I drop the pack?

Looking for some ideas.

Thanks in advance.
    My favorite for the 329. Light weight, durable. I have several, they carry very well.

The link says it won't fit a 329, BUT it will. I'll get the model number off the holster in the morning, if you'd like. Part number 22400, I think.

http://www.safariland.com/products/h...0.html#start=1
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default 329 pd

I've got the leather thumb snap for my 329 that came with the gun, but the nylon is certainly a better choice for most situations. I do wonder how the nylon works in very cold weather - does it get stiff?

Or any many cases I simple drop the 329 in my pocket when I'm jumping out of the truck to check something out. Although I've got a number of .44s & larger, the 329 get carried a lot more simply because it is so much lighter. A 329 in hand is always better ta\han a .454 or .500 back in camp or the truck.

And you can shoot heavy bullets in the 329. I cast mine with the Lee 315 gr mold. You do have to crimp the heck outta them and the recoil is nasty. I also shot many thousands of them in my 629-2 with no ill effect although the Ruger guys say don't do it. The later 629s are even better for durability I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    My favorite for the 329. Light weight, durable. I have several, they carry very well.

The link says it won't fit a 329, BUT it will. I'll get the model number off the holster in the morning, if you'd like. Part number 22400, I think.

http://www.safariland.com/products/h...0.html#start=1
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

tvfinak, the holster is stiff material. It doesn't get soft, or hasn't for me. It's molded to it's shape. I've used it for 629, 329, 4 1/4" SRH, & 4" Redhawks.

Not a "custom" fit, but works well.

Size 4B is on the tag............
    "The older I get, the better I was."

hodgeman; Here are my thoughts on the SW329PD.
    TG

Attachment 90362Attachment 90363
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

For got to attach my "Holster" Photo.
    TG.

Attachment 90364Attachment 90365
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

I really like the gunfighter inc chest rig. I carry my ruger redhawk in it. No snaps to worry about and retention is great. I also have a leather diamond d which is nice. But between the 2 the gunfighter is better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
    I really like the gunfighter inc chest rig. I carry my ruger redhawk in it. No snaps to worry about and retention is great. I also have a leather diamond d which is nice. But between the 2 the gunfighter is better in my opinion.
    I like that Gunfighter Inc. rig a lot- exactly what I'm looking for.... thanks for the recommend. Ordered it this morning.

I like the Diamond D- but really wanted a Kydex/nylon version since it will get used in all kinds of nasty weather.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'm not afraid of leather in the woods. Leather and wood have been holding up in the elements for longer than most of us have been alive. There's just something about a leather holster. Here are my field holsters.

Thad Rybka Crossdraw for the 500 Linebaugh. This one heads out on a moose hunt tomorrow for the "break in". Hopefully it's get bloodied along with the gun. Rough out oiled, smooth side in.

Von Ringler Wyoming Combination Holster made for my scoped Super Blackhawk. I've packed this one in the field hunting several times including a 8 day walk in sheep hunt in the Brooks Range. The only bummer is I didn't connect! I carried it crossdraw with a pack. Including half of a ram on the packout that my buddy shot.

Simply Rugged Pancake for the 4" 454 Redhawk carried mostly strongside but also crossdraw. I don't have the Chesty Puller straps cuz I really hate futzing with all the straps and buckles when taking off layers, etc. Plus they get in the way of my binos. The WyoCombo just has the one big strap with buttons. KISS Each to his own.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

This chest holster works good with my Mountain Gun(index on right side)
    http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

I generally wear binos in a chest pack- so that real estate is spoken for....
    For something like 30 years I've been carrying my 4" 629 in a belt holster worn crossdraw. It stays with me when the pack comes off, and best of all, the pack is not in the way when it's time to reach for the pistola. Ever since they came out, I've been using the plain old nylon Uncle Mike's Sidekick. Cheaper than dirt and looking really scruffy after over 20 years of constant use, but it's still perfectly solid.

No reason to change to anything else until it wears out, and I don't see that happening any time soon.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

A proper holster for a hand gun is part of a system to me. It starts with a belt that will anchor the holster and be comfortable. I use double thick 1.25" and 1.5" Filson belts that work well with jeans and a holster.

I have 3 holsters for my S&W Mountain Gun .44 Mag. They are all very good holsters and all made from leather that is tough and durable.

One is the Diamond D Guides Choice with cartridge slide and speed loader pouch. A superb chest holster, I can wear this all day as the weight is spread out on my body.

Another one is a Kramer Horse Hide Belt Scabbard with an FBI tilt. It is about as good as a strong side belt scabbard can be. The molding on this black horse hide holster offers great retention. I like it so much I bought one for my 3" K Frame S&W .357. I own several other Kramer Horse Hide Holsters and they are top notch and great looking holsters.

The other one started life as a Galco Cross Draw. This is a true cross draw holster, not one of those multi slotted holsters. It was originally for a 6" S&W N Frame. I cut it down to fit my 4" revolver and added a Chicago screw to serve as a tension screw for added retention if the thumb break snap pops open unexpectedly. This model of holster was originally made by the old Jackass Leather Goods Company in Chicago. So I guess some thing good did come from that "Windy City".

All 3 of these are good leather holsters that will go to some fortunate relative when I no longer can use them. Good luck wearing them out.

Yes, there are more durable materials for extreme use then leather. If you are into mud wrestling, scuba diving, or free climbing while wearing a hand gun then I would look at kydex or nylon.

Other wise, leather has proven to be a durable and comfortable holster material for hundreds of years.

Nothing looks as good on the user!