Thread: Motor not peeing, tried everything, help me keep my sanity...

Default Motor not peeing, tried everything, help me keep my sanity...

I have an older Suzuki DT25 (1984). Ran great at the lake a few weeks back, nice solid stream coming out as well. Take it down to the port and dont get any pee stream, just steam. Pull the impeller and it has two broken blades. I replaced the impeller and also replaced the crusty old thermostat. While I had the lower unit off and the cylinder head cover off to replace the thermostat, I used a hose to push water through both directions of the cooling system to make sure there were no blockages, had great flow. Now I bolt it all back together and all Im getting is steam...Sitting in a deep bucket so I know it's well submerged. What am I missing here? Besides a few clumps of hair I've tore out...

FLOW-MAX.............

Honestly, I just got the motor this summer and Im not sure if its supposed to have a stream while it just sits and idles, or if would open the thermostat only after I got on the throttle for a bit of motoring around. I know some water is going out the hub but I dont want to motor around hoping that the thermostat opens only to find that I've overheated and killed my engine

I'd check your pee hole to make sure you didn't dislodge some crap with the power flush and clog the outlet, or the outlet from the water jacket on the engine. Never had an older Suziki but every motor I've had pees no matter whether the t-stat is open or not. If the pee hole is free from obstruction, I'd try upping the RPM's a little and see if it primes. If no prime I'd double check water pump installation.

But I am no outboard mechanic...

Every outboard I've owned pees when the motor is running warm or cold.

You have a blockage in a port or hose. Once, bees filled the pee port with over 4" of stuff. I had to dig it out with a piece of wire before water would flow.

Or you have the impeller in backwards. Or there is too much wear on the cover plate preventing pressure build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, and now Appleseeds!

What they said.

If you haven't already might want to change the water pump housing. The chrome ones are the best.

Might want to try it without the thermostat. Many folks that I know, (me too), have removed the thermostat(s) a long time ago without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post

You have a blockage in a port or hose. Once, bees filled the pee port with over 4" of stuff. I had to dig it out with a piece of wire before water would flow.

Or you have the impeller in backwards. Or there is too much wear on the cover plate preventing pressure build up.

Like I said before, while I had everything apart I put water through all the ports and it ran freely both on the pump side through the tube and also on the downstream side out the pee hole. I am now thinking the pump isnt getting primed. Next step is to get a deeper bucket to fully submerge the lower end, specifically to remove the column of air between inlet ports and the pump housing, and see if that primes the pump. Ill try this afternoon and cross my fingers

keyway in on the impeller ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

You might try dropping the lower unit and connecting air or water to the sea water pickup tube. This should cause water/air to flow out the "pee hole" on almost all outboards that have clear passages. If you get water/air then it's likely you problem is impeller side of things. If you don't get water/air then it's clogged somewhere.

For what it's worth, I've had this exact problem on my Yamaha 9.9 and my problem was clogged passages in the exhaust manifold. I removed exhaust manifold cover and cleaned with vinegar and it solved my problem. You may or may not have the same problem...

I am not very familiar with Suzuki but on an evinrude I would say. '84 new to you. Maybe someone swapped the power head and was cheap thinking it was being sold. Try new gaskets on the power head to exhaust housing and make sure the 2 rubber grommets are present on the impeller side chunk of pipe. Out boards usually are not that different. Maybe it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post

Or there is too much wear on the cover plate preventing pressure build up.

I had a Suzuki 9.9 4 stroke doing the same thing. Impeller was new but the cover plate showed what I thought was very minor wear. I changed out the cover plate anyway...Bingo!

Didn't see an answer to this....? other folks are right. double check all the housing and output bushings....
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    keyway in on the impeller ?
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

Quote Originally Posted by keh View Post
    Didn't see an answer to this....? other folks are right. double check all the housing and output bushings....
    So, found some time to put in a new clean trash can that brought the water level up to above the level of the pump, and what do you know...it pees! So now I have to figure out why the pump cant suck up the water when the motor is sitting at a normal height in the water....air leak somewhere, I assume. Thank you all for your ideas for troubleshooting!

As stated.... key way impeller ,direction of the fins are backwards, Or maybe the water pickup tube didn't get in the hole as it was pushed together. These are about top things. You are going to have too take back it apart and start again. You will get it . And you will get faster each time you do it .. Let us know what you find ..

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    As stated.... key way impeller ,direction of the fins are backwards, Or maybe the water pickup tube didn't get in the hole as it was pushed together. These are about top things. You are going to have too take back it apart and start again. You will get it . And you will get faster each time you do it .. Let us know what you find ..
    Took it to the port this morning and it was sputtering a bit of water after it warmed up a bit, but once I took it out and got to speed the stream was solid. came back to dock and the pee went back to a sputter...I guess this motor just likes forced water injection!

change the whole pump housing, i'm betting its all worn out

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692