Thread: Cheechako seeks advice

Talking Cheechako seeks advice

Howdy,
    I come from the lower forty eight where I fished a great deal for Bass, trout and sunfish... but now I'm clueless as to how to fish ... I'd like to be one of those people who keep their fishing rod in their car and go fish Ship Creek on their lunch break, but I have no one to teach me ...
    What sort of rod and reel and bait does one use around Anchorage, and what all kinds of fish are in these creeks? (I really know nothing about fishing up here, please don't laugh)...
    I mean, I'd like to go to the store and be able to buy a moderately priced rod, reel, etc... and know what kind of bait/lure to buy.
    Thanks in advance for any help...
    wheeldog

The first step in your quest for fish would be to pickup a few copies of the Alaska fishing regs booklet. Keep one in your truck, boat, atv, etc etc etc. Read up on them and know the regulations blanketing the area or watershed you plan to fish. Seriously, it changes from creek to creek and river to river. And the best part......is........drum roll please........the booklet is free at just about any convienance store.

Ship Creek, my old stomping grounds. Since kings are just about done for the year we will skip that lecture and head straight to silvers. The silver is a very aggressive species of salmon, arguably the most aggressive when it comes to actually "biting" a luture, hook, bait or fly. By far the most effective way to hook up with one of these bad boys is with the good ole sand flea, but since those are not legal in fresh water we can count the gray bait as a non legal way of obtaining silvers. Bait is a close second. I will use bait if the current is very calm or if there is slack water. If the water is traveling at a hounds pace I will use yarn. I love yarn, and if I want to spice things up I will put a corkie above the hook. This setup is cheap, effective and easily flipped into any current holding silvers. Also I really like the pixee and vibrax. Those three methods are tried and true for salmon.

How to fish ship creek. The outgoing tide has been by far the most worth while time to fish in my experience. I follow try to stay in moving water while throwing yarn while the tide is going out. Sometimes I will even start at the cables, at a high tide, and work my way to a hundred yards from the mouth. It's tough work but it wasn't very often when I did not limit out. Silvers do seem to hold up in deep areas more than Kings so finding a good productive deep hole may be in your best interest if you are willing to put in the time.

Gear - If you want a middle of the road pole it's tough to beat an ugly stick. Some bash them but I have caught the most species of Alaskan fish on these rods. Buy a good reel and line though. That will make life easier. I bought a South Bend Trophy Tamer from Freddies last year and I have been happy with it considering I catch all species of salmon and only paid around $50 for it. For line I like Maxima's ultra green or chameleon. For silvers 15lbs is plenty, and for kings I prefer 25-30 lbs test mono. Braid isn't worth it's weight in dog poopoo if you ask me. Oh, and this is important, buy good quality swivels. No one likes loosing a fish due to a swivel that poo'd the bed and bent out of shape. I have resorted to crane swivels, which have worked great to date.

Oh ya, if you want to go fishing on my boat sometime let me know. In about two weeks I will be hitting the silvers and reds pretty hard on Knik. Talking about fishing and hunting never ever gets old.

Default Silvers in Knik?

Hey Gremlin,
    When do the silvers start to run in the Knik?
    Do you catch them in the lower river? What do you use there?

Do you need a salmon stamp for silvers?

www.fearlessnews.com

Default advice

W.G.
    Thanks for all the information. We seem to learn something every day on this forum. Will wait for more silvers to come in to Ship Creek and will be fishing there.

The only salmon that a stamp is needed for is a king. All others just a license
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Thanks, WG!

that's a wonderful reply to my post, Gremlin. I truly appreciate your generosity of the time it took to formulate that response.
    I haven't had a chance to get to Freddie's yet but going tomorrow I hope, and planning on getting that regs book too... hopefully I'll be down with the others on Ship Creek by the weekend...
    thanks again to all who replied!

Default What waters?

Gremlins post is great if you are fishing ship creek. Keep in mind that faster waters and larger fish mean larger lb test.
    I fish clear creek up near talkeetna alot and it's a big river with on the average larger kings. (Silvers are pretty much the same size no matter where you go) I love the braided line as it doesn't have a memory, is very abrasion resistant and it works better in a baitcasting reel. Both of which are quite valuable for fishing large fish in fast water. However, braided line and spin-N-glos don't mix when you get tangled with a fellow fisherman.

Silvers.... 12-15 lb mono on a spinning reel (shimano 4000 or similar) 2000 will work in a pinch if you don't like your drag too much. Silvers are caught on eggs(single hook with egg loop, splitshot 18" or so up the leader.), #3,#4,#5 vibrax, I alway start with blue as it seems to work MOST of the time. silvers like to get out of the water and give you a show, do not get distracted and let your line go loose, always keep your tip up and your line tight.

I'm not at all saying WG's tactics are faulty as they work where he mentioned, just wanted to add a little more to it.
    Hope this helps

Justin
    Justin

I would also like to appoligize for the subject line. I did not see that he was wanting to fish just in ship creek. My fault. Well, the info should still be helpfull to others who might venture elsewhere.
    Justin

wheeldog mentioned Ship Creek so I formulated my response with that particular creek in mind. No big deal, we're all friends here, right?

Heavy lbs mono/braid line works great in fast water while muscling that trophy king but I prefer not to use it. I limit myself to 30lbs test for a reason, but keep in mind I do not fish the Kenai, Clear Creek, Talkeetna etc etc... If I get caught up on a snag I can still break my line with enough effort if my leader will not give. 30 lbs test seems to be a good balance between castability and strength, in my opinion. Mono line allows me to tackle those nasty tangles and rat's nests much easier than braid. For a leader I will use 25lbs test mono when fishing for kings in the hopes that leader will break and not my spooled line. I also prefer to use bell weights that snap to a swivel instead of split shots. This way when the leader breaks I still have my weight connected to the crane swivel, well, atleast that is the plan.

You can ask 10 fisherpeople (I feel PC today) what works the best and you will get 10 different response if not more. Everyone has their own idea on what tackle to use and how to use it. And if all 10 are catching fish none of them are wrong. I suppose you can say there is more than one way to fillet a fish.

Great quote there at the end. Totally agree. I forgot to mention when fishing fast waters (clear creek) I generally use 65lb Tuff Line(braided) and a 50 lb mono leader. This is for kings of course
    I was going to name some other good fishing areas that would be fine with much less test. Willow, nice fish, pretty slack waters, Deshka, generally 30 lbs or less with the occasional lunker, very slow at the mouth where alot of people fish, Eklutna tailrace, fish seem to be getting bigger all the time in there, if you fish in the tailrace the water is very slow, keep in mind if you fish at the mouth though that the knik moves much faster and is fairly deep in spots giving a fish of the same caliber a much better chance of breaking off on smaller tackle.
    I've never fished the Kenai or anywhere south of ANC so maybee we could get someone to chime in on what they use with a fair amount of success down there adn other popular locations.
    Good fishing!
    Justin

In general I like to use eggs where legal though I have a few nice spots out in the valley that bait is not allowed. In those areas I usually fish flies though vibraxes work well too. You can effectivly fish mosy salmon flies with a spinning pole. Just put a large splitshot about 18 inches up and drift Egg sucking leeches work well as well as egg paterns and even just a little yarn on a hook. I have also had some luck with fish patterns. for pinks I use a green bunny leach type thing with hourglass beads, and recently I have found that pollywogs will work well for Chums. I don't fish ship creek much so I am not sure how many of chums and pinks are there.
    There are also trout around. The easiest way to catch them is to use salmon eggs. Small spinners, beads, and flys (egg sucking leach and RJ wolly are my favorate) can be very effective as well.