Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swaro Spotter Questions

Default Swaro Spotter Questions

Looking at purchase of a Swaro 65 HD ATS/STS for sheep & goat. Which eyepiece do y'all use: 20-60 or 25 - 50 W? The 25-50 has substantially wider field-of-view, but do you favor having the 60?

Also, I've always had straight scopes and am leaning that direction, anyone like the angled better? If so, why?

Thanks!

If you are referring to the newer ones i think there is one eyepiece and you buy different lense to attach. Maybe this is a different one...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    Looking at purchase of a Swaro 65 HD ATS/STS for sheep & goat. Which eyepiece do y'all use: 20-60 or 25 - 50 W? The 25-50 has substantially wider field-of-view, but do you favor having the 60?

Also, I've always had straight scopes and am leaning that direction, anyone like the angled better? If so, why?

Thanks!

I have the 20-60 power eye piece. I wouldn't sacrifice the power for the wider field of view. Just my opinion.

As far as the straight vs. angled. That depends on how you use it. Attached to a pickup window with a window mount then straight all the way. If you're using it attached to a tripod I'd recommend the angled. I have the angled head and use it on a tripod. Easy to set the tripod between your legs and look down into the spotter. With a straight eye piece I'd think you'd have to raise the tripod or bend awkwardly to look through the spotter. The higher you raise a tripod the more flexible it gets. Very small movements really blurs your view.

60!!!!!!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

20-60 and straight. I feel the straight eye-piece is much more intuitive to use. I'd never consider putting a scope on a rifle that was viewed at an angle.

Get the 80" I wish I would have

Thanks for the input - especially on the 60.

I see the advantage of the angled allowing for keeping the scope lower and more stable - especially in the wind; I also see that using it could be more comfortable, but I'm concerned it might take me a while to be efficient in getting the critters in the scope. For those who use it, how long did it take for you to get good at this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    Get the 80" I wish I would have

Wow - I didn't expect to see any sheep hunters recommending the 80!

Love love love the angled eye piece. Used a straight one for about seven years then got an angled. So much more comfortable to use! I'll never go back to a straight eye piece. It don't take long to get the hang of an angled. One day of staring at something and you'll be thankful.
    Master guide 212

If BRWNBR speaks, then that is the word. However I almost never use the 60X and have often thought about switching it out for the 25-50W. Once you've cranked it up to 60, if the scope gets bumped, then re-acquiring the game can be a pain. I almost never use it at 60 - not enough light.

While getting it on target can be a challenge, sitting with the angled scope between your legs (on a tripod) is perfect. You keep a nice, low profile. Also, with the angled, you can lay it across your back pack, or a wadded up jacket, and easily look through the eyepiece - which would be a challenge for the straight version.

GD makes a great point, I often don't bring a tripod and just lay the spotter on my pack. Works great because of the angle. I do however use my spotter on 60x quite a lot.
    Master guide 212

60 power has saved me more miles of walking then I can count. Straight or angled could be argued for days.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Love love love the angled eye piece. Used a straight one for about seven years then got an angled. So much more comfortable to use! I'll never go back to a straight eye piece. It don't take long to get the hang of an angled. One day of staring at something and you'll be thankful.
    Ill second this. I was unsure when I bought one. Ill never buy a straight. Its really easy to get the hang of.

Id guess most of the guys saying straight havent used an angled much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz12 View Post
    Ill second this. I was unsure when I bought one. Ill never buy a straight. Its really easy to get the hang of.

Id guess most of the guys saying straight havent used an angled much.
    I have and still don't like them. Personal preference like most things.

In a reply I made earlier I recommended the straight spotter. After thinking about it a bit I realize that perhaps the angled might be preferred if you're looking at the same spot studying a sheep for a long period of time.
    However, I use my spotter mainly for scanning huge expanses of landscape looking for bears, so most of the time my scope is moving and a straight angled is definitely my preference in that situation.

I bought the angled ATS 65 with the 25-50W eye piece specifically for sheep hunting and absolutely love the setup. I'm definitely a fan of the angled scope and the wide angle eye piece has been well worth the extra money when glassing sheep on a hillside. Can't go wrong with any Swarovski however!

I have a straight with the 20-60 but only because I got a smoking deal on it. The main difference that I see regarding straight vs. angled is, if your using it mainly from below (looking up), the angled is the way to go, however, if you're above your target (typically the best vantage with sheep and goat hunting), the angled can become a major hindrance. It's much more difficult to stay out of sight and not get sky lined, etc., using a angled
    scope when your above.

My angled rotates if I need to look down. I look down on goats but very very rarely do I look down at a sheep...unless we are punching a tag. One advantage to a straight tube...how easy it fits in a pack....that's the only thing about angled that bugs me sometimes.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    My angled rotates if I need to look down.
    Thanks for answering the question I had coming......was wondering if any or them rotated. Seems like that would solve some of any possible inconvenience a guy might run into with an angle.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I went through this in June, ended up with 25x50 eyepiece and the angled scope. It is really handy. Bought the Leica, but the Swarovski is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast