Thread: Request ideas: Lightweight "Quality" stock. Win. Classic Short-action

Default Request ideas: Lightweight "Quality" stock. Win. Classic Short-action

Looking to restock a featherweight "Classic" model 70 short action this winter. Request suggestions for lightweight stock.

After looking at all sorts of options and prices and doing all sorts of research, I went with a McMillan. For you, I'd look at their Edge stocks.

They offer various weights and options that are easy to order, if not in stock.

Everyone else seemed like I couldn't get quite what I wanted or it would be a special request or cost even more than McMillan.

Manners and Brown Precision both offer fantastic products.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

high tech, wildcat, mcmillan and brown precision all make quality stocks listed in order from cheapest to most expensive.

McMillan Edge.

Thanks to everyone for the information.....NOW.....Are there preferred locations to shop, for price........on a McMillan Stock.....or do have to order direct from most stock makers ??

you have to order them from McMillan, they usually have a couple month lead time too. However, if you keep your eyes on the accuratereloading forum, rokslide, or 24hourcampfire you can find a used one for a hundred bucks or more off.

You restocking that 243?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Request ideas: Lightweight "Quality" stock. Win. Classic Short-action

There are a few vendors that carry stocks, usually a generic factory inlet. My experience has been that I've had to order direct, but I am a lefty. My guess is if you want an Edge you'll have to custom order. The folks at the factory are very helpful and professional, and the lead times are remarkably realistic. The last one I got was delivered in 12 weeks and they would not accept any payment until it was finished.

Manners was unable to provide the inlet I wanted, however they also have a solid reputation.

Patience, I was looking for a stock for one of mine, finally stumbled across one on sale. Mine's a McMillian, also.
    I have a MPI on one and a B&C on another.

Google search and on line auction sites.

Again thanks..........This is a fairly un-common Winchester. And being 70 y/o most likely best to just order it. Will not do me much good if I find a used one in five years. I need to make a decision about re-stocking it for $575.00.........or just sell it for $1,000.00 and buy the Kimber Adirondack Rifle for $1,379.00

I have a couple Bansner Sheephunter stocks, one on a short action M70. Excellent stock. Been looking at the MacMillan Edge for a new project as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Again thanks..........This is a fairly un-common Winchester. And being 70 y/o most likely best to just order it. Will not do me much good if I find a used one in five years. I need to make a decision about re-stocking it for $575.00.........or just sell it for $1,000.00 and buy the Kimber Adirondack Rifle for $1,379.00
    Unless the M70 just has some substantial sentimental value...you're just better off selling it and starting over with the Kimber.

It is virtually impossible to turn a M70 into a true lightweight rifle these days- there's just too much metal in them for that. You can trim and shave and restock- but the final result will weigh more than the Kimber and probably cost several times more. Dropping one in an Edge stock won't trim nearly the weight you'd like. I just scrapped a 7WSM project on M70 that I picked up cheap. An Ascent in 280AI gets me to the same place for a lot less cash.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You are 100% correct in your assessment. The good news is that I have no attachment to this rifle......and your correct, the most prudent course is to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Unless the M70 just has some substantial sentimental value...you're just better off selling it and starting over with the Kimber.

It is virtually impossible to turn a M70 into a true lightweight rifle these days- there's just too much metal in them for that. You can trim and shave and restock- but the final result will weigh more than the Kimber and probably cost several times more. Dropping one in an Edge stock won't trim nearly the weight you'd like. I just scrapped a 7WSM project on M70 that I picked up cheap. An Ascent in 280AI gets me to the same place for a lot less cash.

Well.........that was my plan. BUT, I am not in a position to buy a $600.00 stock for that rifle. I would end up with about $1,700.00 PLUS in a rifle that for my intended special application (Night Vision Thermal Optic) tool, could be "Better" built around the Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08 ($1,199.--) or preferably in .308 Win. ($1,379.--).

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    you have to order them from McMillan, they usually have a couple month lead time too. However, if you keep your eyes on the accuratereloading forum, rokslide, or 24hourcampfire you can find a used one for a hundred bucks or more off.

You restocking that 243?

Kimber has a new line of rifles called the hunter, they're a bit cheaper than the Montana, they're saving you money by using a polymer stock instead of kevlar, but still using the 84M action, they also have a detachable magazine. They're supposed to weigh in at 5.5 pounds. The suggested retail is $885, but should be a bit cheaper in stores. They're chambered in 7mm-08, 308, 6.5 credemore, 243, and 257 roberts. Might be something to look into so you don't have to molest that beautiful Winchester.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/hunter
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Looking to restock a featherweight "Classic" model 70 short action this winter. Request suggestions for lightweight stock.
    check out MPI. I have one on my custom 6.5mm sheep rifle. awesome and light weight. made out of carbon fiber and Kevlar. not cheap though.

I love my HS Precision. They are in the $300 range. There are lighter but the ones I looked at were in the 6-700 range for a few oz savings