Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose harvest results Homer

Default Moose harvest results Homer

Well, looks like we're off to another dismal record for hunters.
    On the first day of the season only one of the 5 moose brought to F&G was legal.
    I know of one other sub-legal the troopers got, not sue if it was one of the 5.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

One of five?! Wow. Dismal, indeed.

Do you know the story on them? Forks that had a third tine? >50" bulls that didn't have the requisite # of brow tines?

Chrimeny. And so it begins again. I was looking through the harvest records for the Peninsula from last year just the other day actually. Amazing how many mid 30's to 40's were taken without requisite brow tines. Unfortunately these are only the ones that get turned in as well; who knows how many get shot and left, or sneaked out after dark that we don't know about.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

That would be unbelievable. Quite obviously the situation must be changed. Estimating the side of moose is basically impossible for me, an experienced hunter. New hunters not used to the size of moose combined with the vague methods described on the ADFG video are a recipe for disaster. Time to go to simple brow tine rule. ....and much greater penalties for illegal kill.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Hopefully old folk and needy will have meat for the winter.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

No forks allowed on kenai, just spikes

Quote Originally Posted by chumsnagger View Post
    No forks allowed on kenai, just spikes
    Right - my mistake on the question.

So is that part of the illegal take? Folks taking forks without having read the regulations?

Up to 7 or 8 now, still only one legal, and the troopers have a couple that F&G hasn't seen yet. Almost all in the low to mid 40's, one 35", and a spike with a drop tine greater than 3".

I wonder if the requirement to seal everything has increased the number of reported sub-legal takings?

Personally, I'd be ok with hunting the peninsula less (drawing or registration) and not dealing with as many people or as stringent of rack requirements. What I'd really like to see is an earlier (late August) drawing rifle season, and then a later registration bow season. I'm sure there are downsides that I haven't even thought of, but I'd be ok with moose hunting the peninsula a little less often if it meant less competition and less restrictions on legal bulls.

I done punched my moose tag for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Up to 7 or 8 now, still only one legal, and the troopers have a couple that F&G hasn't seen yet. Almost all in the low to mid 40's, one 35", and a spike with a drop tine greater than 3".
    Well, it looks like the "If not sure, don't shoot" idea has pretty much gone by the wayside. People just not caring....well I shouldn't say that I guess, cause at least those guys cared enough to turn it in.

Noticed another blatant disregard of the regs yesterday in the duck blind. Guys shooting at least 20 minutes before legal shooting time. Did it again today....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Pretty pathetic. Maybe if they dropped the 50" rule and just went to brow tines only. At least that would keep people from playing the size guessing game.

On the bright side....I got a call from the troopers yesterday afternoon and received a perfectly cared for moose, quartered and in game bags from one of these undersized Bulls. It doesn't get any easier filling the freezer than that.

a spike with a drop tine greater than 3".

If it had a spike on one side it was legal.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    On the bright side....I got a call from the troopers yesterday afternoon and received a perfectly cared for moose, quartered and in game bags from one of these undersized Bulls. It doesn't get any easier filling the freezer than that.
    I wonder how many people on the call list shoot undersized animals when they think it might be "close enough"...

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    I wonder how many people on the call list shoot undersized animals when they think it might be "close enough"...
    Well since an illegal kill and a road kill are property of the state I would highly doubt that the troopers would turn around and call the guy that just turned in an illegal kill....
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    Well since an illegal kill and a road kill are property of the state I would highly doubt that the troopers would turn around and call the guy that just turned in an illegal kill....
    Yeah, it's pretty much the same reason that people don't get the moose when they hit one on the road. If they let that fly then people would be out buying $100. beaters and runnin' them down..... literally road hunting with a vehicle. If I recall, single parent families and the elderly are those first on the meat list.....if they still do it that way?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The guy who shot the moose was still there and the troopers said he wasn't allowed to have any of that moose. If he was on the road kill list, he'd be eligible for one of those though. Go figure.

As for eligibility, the form asks on a scale of 1-3 how needy you are. 1 being needy, and 3 meaning you can live without it. I answered truthfully and gave myself a 3. I've been called four times this year (first 3 times I was at work and couldn't respond), so I'm not sure they really use those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    I'm not saying the troopers would give the moose to the guy who shot it, but his name just went up the list. Say there is a moose that "looks close", what's to stop a guy from shooting it? If it measures up then great, if it doesn't measure up then oh well, you will get one in a day or two...especially in a smaller community. Like HomerAdam just said he's been called 4 times so far this year, I'm not saying HomerAdam or anyone else is doing any of this, I'm just asking some questions about ethical hunting.

That 3 inch rule within 2 inches of the base doesn't count in unit 7 or 15

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

According to our bio it does.

According to our bio it does.
    On page 31 of the regulation book it separates unit 7 and 15 from that new rule. That little point at the base would count as a point and make it an illegal fork. I may have worded that wrong and we may be saying the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast