Thread: Launching a boat with my motorhome

Default Launching a boat with my motorhome

I have a 31-foot Class C motorhome. I want to use it to launch and retrieve a 22-foot Hewescraft Ocean Pro. I will primarily be doing this out of Seward and Whittier. However, in all my experiences of fishing out of Whittier and Seward I have hardly ever seen a motorhome being utilized to launch and retrieve boats. Why is this? What am I missing?

Having grown up in Mn I used to see motorhomes used to launch boats all the time. However like you've noticed, it's pretty rare up here. I did have an older class a for a couple years here and did use mine to launch. The only thing that's a pain in the butt to me is cleaning the kitchen and making sure everything is secure before heading to the boat ramp in the morning.

The other issue is parking. At Whittier this year with a cabover camper in my truck they would not allow me to park in the usual lot even though I was not camping in it. I had to park all the way up the hill in the campground. Thus even more money to park and yet a LONGER walk.

Likewise. Seward would be interesting with a rig that long. I run a cclb truck with a 24' boat as well. Might be tough finding a spot long enough to park once you've launched. But actually launching and retrieving isn't an issue. For those reasons I do have friends that drive both their mh and a truck to Seward just to avoid parking issues.

I have launched my Wolly using my 30ft Class A at all those ramps. Want to avoid low tide haul outs if possible and never back in far enough that the tanks float the tires. As a rule I never let my back tires get wet.

Saw a RV get pulled into the river on the Kenia at the Pliiars ramp this summer, so use caution. A spotter and someone with chocks if needed. Can't remember which it was Whitter or Seward, but one of them has a very tight area and the other has huge holes in the ramp.

Be safe

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

don;t know much about why , but when I had a cab over it was easy to do it when I but a hitch on the front of my rig, I could
    see what is going on a lot better than when the trailer was on the back , you can but the trailer / boat any place you wanted
    the first time with no help , SID

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    and yet a LONGER walk. .
    Bring a cheap bike. I have a $20 garage sale special I leave locked up in Whittier, at the top of the ramp usually, all summer.

I did it for years with a 30 foot class C and a 26 foot hewescraft, and it was amazingly easy. I found it was easier than a pickup actually. The back end of the motor home sticks out so far from the back tires you can make corrections very easily. People always seemed impressed at how easily I backed the boat down, but it was just so much easier than using my F350. Of course it's hard on the transmission, hauling it over Turnagain and such because the weight of the motor home plus the boat, expect to shorten the lifespan of your transmission. Don't ask me how I know...
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Thanks, Wildog! Did you ever experience any issues with 1) submerging any part of the back of your motorhome in the salt water, or 2) any issues on enough power, or torque, or traction when retrieving the boat, especially on steeper ramps, or at low tides? The reason I ask is because these were some of the main concerns voiced to me by other guys. Thanks!

Set the brake.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper44 View Post
    Thanks, Wildog! Did you ever experience any issues with 1) submerging any part of the back of your motorhome in the salt water, or 2) any issues on enough power, or torque, or traction when retrieving the boat, especially on steeper ramps, or at low tides? The reason I ask is because these were some of the main concerns voiced to me by other guys. Thanks!
    Yes. I got too close a couple times, and the wire plugs got wet with salt water and corroded, so be careful about that I guess.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default No sweat

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post

Set the brake.
    I used to launch my 24' hewescraft with my 33' motorhome at Seward with no issues. Well depending on when you are trying to launch. Once I got a slip life was much easier. Whittier at low tide used to be challenging at low tide because of the ramp condition but that was years ago. Not sure how it is now.

Steve

Most rear ends have a breather and allow water to get in and it will cause serious damage if left in attended. I worked in a marina and the remedy was to drill and tap an 1/8 pipe plug at the base of the pumpkin and provide a drain for the inevitable water that got in .
    The damage is much the same as getting water in your gear case on the lower unit .
    Don't forget to desink your generator ,if you have one back there .

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    Most rear ends have a breather and allow water to get in and it will cause serious damage if left in attended. I worked in a marina and the remedy was to drill and tap an 1/8 pipe plug at the base of the pumpkin and provide a drain for the inevitable water that got in .
    The damage is much the same as getting water in your gear case on the lower unit .
    Don't forget to desink your generator ,if you have one back there .
    Or extend the breather tube to a higher position...

Almost everyone in Whittier that I see doing that has a 2" receiver on the front bumper and then they swap the ball to the front and drive it into the water...
    21' Koffler skiff
    Chicken of the Ski
    AK4735AB
    MMSI# 338155006

We have launched our 20' Bayliner with our motorhome in Valdez & Homer without any issues at all but have not been to Whitter in quite a few years.