Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Rode

Default Replacing Rode

Where are you guys getting your rode from? I need to replace my current rode over the winter, but all of the websites that I have been on only offer up to 300' of rode. I'm looking to replace my 3 strand with 8 plait, not that it really matters, but I am hoping to find something that works with the Lewmar and fits a little better in the hold.

Thanks for any help.

I got mine from trustworthy hardware in soldotna and it was 600ft of 1/2inch nylon. you could try LFS in anchorage or maybe steve the shrimp pot guy

Alaska wire and rope, or B&J commercial sells full spools of 600' too.
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

what size of the 8 plait do you use in the windlass's ??? and do all windlass's use the same size or can they pull a couple of different sizes ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'd love to find some really good limp rope that is 1/2" and will work well with a Lewmar windlass for our new boat.
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I'd love to find some really good limp rope that is 1/2" and will work well with a Lewmar windlass for our new boat.

good & limp doesn't go together well ! Did you use that 8 plait stuff on the old boat ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    what size of the 8 plait do you use in the windlass's ??? and do all windlass's use the same size or can they pull a couple of different sizes ??
    Lewmar calls for 1/2" 8 plait or 3 strand. I have 3 strand right now and its a nightmare in the locker. Im hoping 8 plait will solve that problem.

I used 3 strand as well. I'm gonna give 8 plait a try this time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

Since I normally don't use more than 200 - 300 feet of rode, but want the extra capacity if needed, I ended up using 200 feet of amsteel type rope at the boat end, and 300 of 8 plait on the anchor end. Thus far the amsteel has never been needed, but if it is, there it sits. The main problem with amsteel is the lack of stretch, but the 300' of 8 plait should take care of that . . .

Default Call Katchemak Gear Shed

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Where are you guys getting your rode from? I need to replace my current rode over the winter, but all of the websites that I have been on only offer up to 300' of rode. I'm looking to replace my 3 strand with 8 plait, not that it really matters, but I am hoping to find something that works with the Lewmar and fits a little better in the hold.

Thanks for any help.
    If your in the Kenai/Homer area I would definitely talk with Redden (Katchemak Gear Shed) in homer about this. I had Rode that came on my boat from the factory that was not meant for my Lewmar. I was going to go down to Trustworthy and just by the next size up, but happend to be in Homer at the time and stopped in at KGS and talked to them about the rode. They KNOW THEIR STUFF. The person I talked with showed me I not only had the wrong rode but the wrong chain. He pulled up the specks for teh Lewmar and it takes a special type rode to set correctly in the gear and hold. It also takes a specific size chain. He replaced both rode and chain and my Lewmar works flawlessly pulling the anchor. I would call them and ask them about your specific Lewmar.

Lewmar has a spec on their windless for how much of a drop it requires. I suspect that most vertical drop style windless-es have the same requirement. They stop working well when you stuff the anchor locker with too much rode. It is nice to have extra length for extra scope, but this should be balanced with how you want things to work day to day and realize that if you stack a log of rode where it is close to the windless and does not have room to straighten out, it may not work well. If you are worried about having enough length to anchor deep and have proper scope, another option is to add more chain and a heavier anchor.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Got my new rode at AIH on New Seward Hwy in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    Got my new rode at AIH on New Seward Hwy in Anchorage.
    It's on the OLD Seward Hwy. Just north of Dowling Rd.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    . If you are worried about having enough length to anchor deep and have proper scope, another option is to add more chain and a heavier anchor.
    The rule of thumb for length of anchor line is.
    Minimum 3 feet of line for every foot of waters depth (3 to 1)
    Normal line scope is 5 feet of line for every foot of waters depth (5 to 1)
    Optimum line scope is 7 feet of line for every foot of waters depth (7 to 1)

Adding more chain or a heavy anchor can cause the windlass to malfunction if the total rope, chain, and anchor weight is 3 to 4 times the maximums pulling power of the windless.

Ronster

I got a 600' spool of 3 strand from an Anchorage boat shop, not very expensive. It worked terrible with the Lewmar. I replaced it with a better quality 3 strand rode, stiffer lay, more expensive. 600' was to much, 450' works fine, drop is important. I use about 300' of the old rode as a backup rode. Page 2 of the manual, BBB 1/4 inch chain, with the rode spliced tight to the chain, not loose, my experience. If your Lewmar is older the control arm is probably the narrow type, works well with chain, not so well with rope. A wider control arm comes with the newer units and is available as a replacement. Worth doing. If you really want 600', building an extension under the mounting plate to raise the windless may be an option, would need to do a little research first before doing this. When I need to replace my rode I may try 8 plait.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    The rule of thumb for length of anchor line is.
    Minimum 3 feet of line for every foot of waters depth (3 to 1)
    Normal line scope is 5 feet of line for every foot of waters depth (5 to 1)
    Optimum line scope is 7 feet of line for every foot of waters depth (7 to 1)

Adding more chain or a heavy anchor can cause the windlass to malfunction if the total rope, chain, and anchor weight is 3 to 4 times the maximums pulling power of the windless.

I just realized I screw up when I said

What I should have said.
    Adding more chain or a heavy anchor can cause the windlass to malfunction.
    Your windlass should have capacity to lift 3 to 4 times the total weight of your anchor, chain & rope.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    Ronster

I got a 600' spool of 3 strand from an Anchorage boat shop, not very expensive. It worked terrible with the Lewmar. I replaced it with a better quality 3 strand rode, stiffer lay, more expensive. 600' was to much, 450' works fine, drop is important. I use about 300' of the old rode as a backup rode. Page 2 of the manual, BBB 1/4 inch chain, with the rode spliced tight to the chain, not loose, my experience. If your Lewmar is older the control arm is probably the narrow type, works well with chain, not so well with rope. A wider control arm comes with the newer units and is available as a replacement. Worth doing. If you really want 600', building an extension under the mounting plate to raise the windless may be an option, would need to do a little research first before doing this. When I need to replace my rode I may try 8 plait.
    Yep, I have a problem with the rope jumping up from under the control arm, I will have to look into the bigger arm.

Is anyone using 8 plait with their Lewmar, does it work any better?

Ron.. My guess is you will still need the wider control arm with 8 plait. A friend with a large sailboat says it works well for him. He is the one who tipped me off about the wider control arm and stiffer lay rode.

Quote Originally Posted by mykle1 View Post
    If your in the Kenai/Homer area I would definitely talk with Redden (Katchemak Gear Shed) in homer about this.
    Just FYI the Gear Shed's been sold to LFS. Was just down there the other week, their shelves were pretty cleared out since Redden wasn't ordering while it was for sale, but they are slowly restocking everything and are supposed to keep the Gear Shed running as it has been. There was a small Redden office in Anchorage that just did Bush orders, not sure if they have pulled out also or if they are still in operation, they may be able to ship the right rope up if you can't find it.

Wonder if they ship to Fairbanks. I will try and call them tomorrow. I really want to get at least 400' of 8 plait and between 25 and 30 feet of chain.

Steve, I called Lewmar and they are going to hook me up with the larger control arm, thanks for the tip.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast