Thread: Lands End Beach Launch

Default Lands End Beach Launch

I'm headed to Homer the Sept. 10 & 11th for my sons hockey. I don't have a seaworth kayak but do have a small, 8', zodiac and a 6hp. Is it ok to beach launch where the kayak guys launch? Is it worth dragging the zodiac down for a shot at a king?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I'm headed to Homer the Sept. 10 & 11th for my sons hockey. I don't have a seaworth kayak but do have a small, 8', zodiac and a 6hp. Is it ok to beach launch where the kayak guys launch? Is it worth dragging the zodiac down for a shot at a king?
    Yes, you could launch that there

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

you could also launch on the other side of the spit where the ferry docks. a little steeper hill but the parking lot is paved and a good clean restroom.
    Prior performance isn't necessarily an indication of future performance but the last 2 weeks have been pretty good right off the spit. The fish seem to come and go right there but there's always a few fish. definitely worth trying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    you could also launch on the other side of the spit where the ferry docks. a little steeper hill but the parking lot is paved and a good clean restroom.
    Prior performance isn't necessarily an indication of future performance but the last 2 weeks have been pretty good right off the spit. The fish seem to come and go right there but there's always a few fish. definitely worth trying.

Fun to try, how are the pollock? is it better to use lures over bait to keep them off?

we haven't had much of an issue with pollock this year. not sure why. I know great guides who run nothing but hardware this time of year. stomach analysis show small sandlances as the predominant forage. I like the silver horde coho killer.

but my last bunch of fish the past month have been trolling a green label herring.

How is it going over the labor day weekend? Heard some are being caught off the spit. Any size? Love to see some pictures!

there were 30 boats or more fishing the spit plus a dozen kayaks. if you could get down deep, there were lots of kings. that's the good news. The bad news was they averaged 5 pounds...maybe less. a few of the kayakers manged fish in the 8 to 12 pound range and they looked huge after seeing all of the little ones.

A video of a small one I released

https://youtu.be/jw_PfhEjHTM

Very cool! How deep, down riggers needed? Can divers get deep enough?

I'd say this weekend, a diver might have worked the folks hitting them were 50 to 100ft down over 125 to 200ft of water. Even if you had braid, it would have been tough with all the boats in the area to let 100ft or more line.

My son did catch a small king mooching...well playing with anything that would bite on the bottom in 125ft of water.

Most of the boats I think assume that everyone is down rigging so they come pretty close.

I will say the general consensus among the kayakers is that while the fish are far fewer in numbers, the quality seems better when we fish 60 ft of water or less the past few weeks.

Is the limit 1 or 2 off the spit?

I'd say this weekend, a diver might have worked the folks hitting them were 50 to 100ft down over 125 to 200ft of water.
    Hmmm that's interesting, for some reason I never thought the water was that deep off the spit. Never really looked so I guess I just assumed. How deep does it get out there?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hmmm that's interesting, for some reason I never thought the water was that deep off the spit. Never really looked so I guess I just assumed. How deep does it get out there?
    it drops off in a hurry...300 ft in the middle of the channel...

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Is the limit 1 or 2 off the spit?
    2 per day. limit of five during April 1 to Sept 30.

Any current reports? I am headed down tomorrow and trying to figure out if it is worth taking a boat. Otherwise I will hang at the hockey rink.....thinking a boat is the way to go!

boat is absolutely the way to go. There's always a fish or two in the area. my belief is the spit is a transition zone amongst fish moving around the area. But after max sea temperature which I think is typically now, it induces the sand Lance spawn which in the past happens quite a bit on the beaches off the spit. That tends to keep the bait fish and therefore the fish near the spit more consistently....just a theory...

A paper that I gleaned some info off of....
    http://alaska.usgs.gov/products/pubs/1999/1999-723.pdf

A paper that I gleaned some info off of....
    http://alaska.usgs.gov/products/pubs/1999/1999-723.pdf
    Interesting read, thanks!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly