Thread: Highest BC .338 WM Ammo in Fairbanks

Default Highest BC .338 WM Ammo in Fairbanks

i am wondering where i can get the flattest shooting .338 winmag factory ammo in fairbanks. in other words, where is the best long range factory ammo

I guess it would depend on which bullet weight you wanted for what size of game but Nosler loads a 225 grain Accubond with a BC of 0.55 and a 250 Accubond with a BC of 0.575. Barnes also loads their 225 TTSX with a BC of 0.514.

My preference for everything literally from Sitka Blacktails to Brown Bears is the Barnes 225 TTSX which I handload. I've had such great experience with Barnes bullets I haven't felt the need to shoot any other bullet. In Fairbanks, Sportsmans Warehouse, Frontier Sporting Goods, Alaskan Guns and Ammo are three retailers I have seen carry both the Noslers and the Barnes factory ammo. Other retailers may too.

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    I guess it would depend on which bullet weight you wanted for what size of game but Nosler loads a 225 grain Accubond with a BC of 0.55 and a 250 Accubond with a BC of 0.575. Barnes also loads their 225 TTSX with a BC of 0.514.

My preference for everything literally from Sitka Blacktails to Brown Bears is the Barnes 225 TTSX which I handload. I've had such great experience with Barnes bullets I haven't felt the need to shoot any other bullet. In Fairbanks, Sportsmans Warehouse, Frontier Sporting Goods, Alaskan Guns and Ammo are three retailers I have seen carry both the Noslers and the Barnes factory ammo. Other retailers may too.
    at sportsmans all i could find was winchester ammo for bubba to bag a back yard buck no further than 100 yards away. they probably only stock match ammo for popular rounds like 6.5cm and .308

i am looking for the flattest shooting bullet i can buy at a store. no matter what the weight if you get slammed by a .338 it's not looking good for you. even if you're a moose 400 yards away

This is a broad swipe at selecting ammo. Bullet performance changes with velocity. Additionally, flat shooting doesn't necessarily mean long range accuracy. A match bullet terminal performance on a moose at 400 yards will be poor and may only create a wound that will not put a moose down but, will be very accurate a longer ranges. A hunting bullet will work great at 400 yards on a moose but won't do well on a moose or paper at 1000yds.
    A light weight bullet will be "flat shooting" until it slows down and drops off the "flat trajectory". A heavier bullet may be less "flat" but more stable for a longer range. It will help to select a product if you can further define the purpose. Are you shooting at a paper target at 1000 yards? Are you shooting at moose at 400 yards?

If you want flat, check out the 160 and 185 grain bullets from barnes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

And how much have you been practicing @ 400+ yards? Use whatever ammo it is that you have been practicing with so that you know the ballistics of it and are comfortable with it. Good luck with your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    This is a broad swipe at selecting ammo. Bullet performance changes with velocity. Additionally, flat shooting doesn't necessarily mean long range accuracy. A match bullet terminal performance on a moose at 400 yards will be poor and may only create a wound that will not put a moose down but, will be very accurate a longer ranges. A hunting bullet will work great at 400 yards on a moose but won't do well on a moose or paper at 1000yds.
    A light weight bullet will be "flat shooting" until it slows down and drops off the "flat trajectory". A heavier bullet may be less "flat" but more stable for a longer range. It will help to select a product if you can further define the purpose. Are you shooting at a paper target at 1000 yards? Are you shooting at moose at 400 yards?
    i have a barrel tuner on my gun. i can expect half a minute at the tuned range with pretty much all ammo as along as the ammo is consistent. i am wanting to get in that range of heavier bullets that don't drastically drop in velocity once it gets a few hundred yards from the gun barrel. was thinking the 200 grain mark. that is what the winchester ammo i shoot is, almost 3000 fps but they don't have good tails and drop lots of velocity in a short time

400 yards on an animals is the range i am looking for. when i say match ammo, i was meaning high quality and consistent. not to be confused with target ammo or precision target ammo

Tough to beat Federal Premium ammo in that case. Or Barnes if you can find it. But Federal Premium should be available in most any store selling ammo.

the bullets i have aren't very aerodynamic, and anything better than what i have now is what i will take

I'm probably just flapping my jaw, because I don't know what is available up there or if you can order it, but, Double Tap 200 grain Scirocco II at 3075 fps sure fills that bill.

Lets take a short cut on this even though I have shot the original Barnes X 250 grain bullet since it first came out. A bullets ballistic coefficient is figured out on a computer by a manufacturer. To verify it's trajectory we shoot at different ranges with our chosen bullet/load combo. That is the only way we really know what is going on.

Long ago the Nosler 210 grain Partition showed up and proved to be an excellent long range killer of all North American big game, especially the herbivores. No other light for caliber .338 Win. Mag. bullet has the proven results of this bullet. The reason is it has been used for so long. It will always expand and give adequate penetration.

Connie Brooks of Barnes bullet fame did much shooting with a 185 grain Barnes X Triple Shock bullet in North America and Africa. It worked great for her. I am loading up some 210 grain Barnes X Triple Shock Boat tails this winter and expect great results when I shoot a critter with it.

Any way, I would look long and hard for the proven 210 grain Nosler Partition or a 185 or 210 grain Barnes X TSBT bullet if I wanted a long range critter gitter .338 mag. load. Even if you have to order of the internet.

None of the bonded, tipped, boat tailed etc. bullets will do any thing any better then the old Partition or X bullet, unless a computer print out gives a slight advantage on paper. Critters never read that stuff.

Thumbs up

In the 338 Win........go to sportsman's and see what they have in Berger Bullets factory loads.
    if they don't have any........then my vote goes to one of favorite Winchester load with 225gr Accubond busted moose close to 500 yards with this bullet with ease.

today I use the Swift A Frame 225gr and 71.0 of IMR 4350.
    not a very good BC bullet but this load is accurate in my 338 Win........so I trade higher BC for Accuracy
    The picture to the left........he will not argue with me

for reloading for accuracy the Sierra 250gr Gameking is one of favorite in my 338 RUM and 338 Win.
    Alaska