Thread: 23hp vanguard powered Mud Buddy, Issues w/ Mounting big Carb

Default 23hp vanguard powered Mud Buddy, Issues w/ Mounting big Carb

As stated I have the 23hp Briggs/Stratton Vanguard Mud Buddy. I bought the Big Carb/Kit from Backwater Performance. They shipped it right away and it got here, so good customer service at that point.
    I opened the box and found the instructions. Seemed straight forward, though the photos are garbage and worthless. I started pulling the carb, throttle linkage, and governor off of the engine. That is when I found the instructions to be a tad short on being complete. I had to take a bunch of other stuff off. But I digress.
    I mounted the carb flange on the new intake, then mounted the carb per the instructions. Then I tried to mount the governor lock and could not. The carb had to come off, then the block went on. Now the carb won't mount without hitting the governor block. And in addition, the air cleaner won't mount due to being too close to the muffler. If I am able to pry it on, then likely it will be touching the muffler.
    You guys know what I'm doing wrong, or have any ideas?
    Next, the rev limiter is electric. There are 3 wire terminals (blue 14-16 gauge) but the wires were about 22g. Not a big deal, found 3 red terminals and attached them. The directions say to connect one to the silver circuit breaker stud, one to a ground bolt, and one to the brass bolt on the side of the engine. Those are quotes. There is no brass bolt on the side of the engine. The breaker does have a silver stud, and a "copper" colored stud.
    Are the 2 wires supposed to go on either side of that breaker?
    I did talk to MB and BPS. The tech was not familiar w/ the 23hp, so was supposed to get me in touch w/ another guy. That did not happen. I did send photos of the whole mess to them, but likely they were leaving for the day as I got no answers. I did not find any links on line w/ clear instructions or videos, and find no comments on the problems I'm having.

So, any ideas? If not, guess I put the old stuff back on. Thx folks,
    ARR

I got it. Well, I got it running, but she still needs some adjustments. Had a friend come over and he saw some things I did not. First, we tilted the carb so the top was at 1:00-2:00. That moved the bottom away from the governor block. Not by much, but should be enough. Seems strange for it to not sit vertically at 12:00. We were going to modify the block and ange/bevel it to give more room but decided for now not to.
    I had spent a lot of time searching for Internet help and found none. Last night I searched for Backwater Performance Rev Limiter and found a blog about "Rev Limiters- How We Control our Performance Motors" at:
    http://www.mudbuddy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8678
    We found that the green wire goes to an engine cut-off source. We put the red wire to the silver lug on the breaker, and grounded the black wire to a casing bolt on the starter due to it being smaller.
    The filter fits with 1/8" clearance. That's it. I'm hoping it does not melt. Being that close to the muffler should help w/ carb ice, which this motor had a problem with late last fall. It is a K&N pleated filter that gets oiled.
    None of that, in my opinion, needed to be that hard. Clearer instructions would have helped tremendously. Pictures you can actually see would have been a huge help. The guys at BPS, whereas they did not fail, sure did not win either. We could have answered these questions in short order if they'd taken a moment.
    Now I need to tune the carb, get it to run right, and put it in the water to test the boat. I did get GPS data with just me and the dog, then added 50 gallons of gas. Heavy, up the Chena, I was running about 17.7mph average, while downriver I was running about 20.5mph avg. I'm hoping I pick up a bit of speed and low end prower to help her get out of deep water.
    Ducks, here we come,
    ARR

[QUOTE=Ak River Rat;1556972] so the top was at 1:00-2:00. That moved the bottom away from the governor block. Not by much, but should be enough. Seems strange for it to not sit vertically at 12:00

Something is not right, the carb should sit vertical. Did you ever hear back from Backwater Performance? If you can't get it sorted out I would give the Godevil dealer in Fairbanks a call, nice guy, he will help you out.