Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram with pistol 2016

Default Ram with pistol 2016

I haven't had anything really worthy of posting in a while, but I thought people would find this interesting. I was able to get my ram this year with my pistol. Not nearly as cool as getting a sheep with a bow and arrow, but still unique. I don't think I'll ever be that cool.

I wasn't planning on sheep hunting this year partly because I don't have a lot of extra time but mainly because I am really out of shape. Regardless, my brother deserves most of the credit for the hunt because he motivated me to get out the door and strap the hiking boots on. He really wanted to test his new video equipment and was excited about filming a hunt. So we planned a real quick 3 day weekend excursion walk-in hunt.

We hiked the entire first day and set camp around 10pm at 5200'. All we saw were a few ewes and lambs that a coyote was chasing through the rocks. It was a windy wet night. The second day we hiked a few valleys over and saw some rams a long distance away but as we were skirting the valley trying to get a better look we spooked 2 rams that were directly below us about 350 yards. As they were running away I got my spotting scope on them and judged one as legal and the other as a 7/8 ram. Lucky for us, that when we spooked them they ran back towards the valley we had come from.

We spent the next few hours trying to backtrack. We finally found them in the valley where we had made camp. We were in a great position above them. It took awhile to get into a shooting vantage point where we could see both of them, but we succeeded and found a rocky spire to hide behind where we could see both of them perfectly. They were laying down in another rocky spire just down the mountain from us. I ranged them at exactly 280 yards. I looked at my ballistics and made my adjustments for the wind. This was a long shot but I knew my rounds still had enough energy to do real damage out to 300 yards. We got the camera all set up in the rocks and did this all as quietly as possible. One last look at my ballistics and then I told my brother I was sending a round. I squeezed the 1 pound trigger and the sheep almost instantly disappeared. I felt really good on the shot and felt confident. We waited and watched, and about 2 minutes later we saw a sheep appear on the far side of the valley. I got my spotting scope on him and it was the 7/8 ram. He kept stopping and looking behind him which suggested to us that his buddy was down. We knew at that time he must be dead. After packing everything up we found the ram about 20 minutes later. He had only ran about 30 yards and then fallen down a steep area for another 100 yards. I had hit him a little further back than I had hoped but somehow it did the trick.

So we did it. My brother pushed me just enough to give me the motivation and I was able to get a ram with my pistol and he was able to film the entire hunt.

My pistol is a Remington XP-100 chambered in 7mm-08 with a 10" SS Shilen barrel, 1# Canjar trigger and Leupold 4x pistol scope. I have spent a lot of time at the range with this pistol and can now consistently get 5 shot groups under 1" at 100 yards. I'm shooting a 162 grain Hornady ELD-X bullet.

Like I said, it's not as cool as a bow hunt but still unique. Having the pistol was great because I kept it protected in my pack and was able to be more maneuverable. I hope you guys enjoyed the story. Hopefully I'll post some moose photos soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool sir. Congratulations. May I ask what mountain range it was taken in?

Geez, are you suuuuure that that ram is full curl?
    Kidding, beautiful ram and that's super awesome that you did it with a handgun. You said your brother wanted to video the hunt, be sure to post back here when he has it edited. It's becoming more and more of a goal of mine to take a grizzly with a single shot .44 magnum pistol. This encourages me so much. Rep sent.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

wowza, 5 shots inside an inch with a handgun. great shooting dude and great story.

In before fellow sheep hunters find something in this post that offends them.

I'll say that pistol is quite the contraption. It reminds me a little of the pistol Lee Van Cleef used in 'For a few dollars more' I think.

Thanks guys.

I guess that I should add that when I'm at the range I am shooting from the bench on a very stable rest. I am not shooting standing up like a typical pistol. I got this pistol from an old friend who built it to shoot competition. He also gave me a lot of the load data to help develop this load. With his competition loads he can do even better than I could ever hope to do. The photo below is of one of the last groups I shot before headed out sheep hunting.

It's pushing the 162 grain bullets at 2170fps. At 280 yards my bullet was dropping 20".

The ram was somewhere in the wrangle mountains area.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1472611071.342537.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1472611182.263671.jpg

You are quite humble- that is a heck of a shot regardless of what kind of gun you are using! This is quite in line with the ongoing discussion of shorter/stiffer barrels being accurate, and other discussing lower power scopes. Very nice ram- thanks for posting.

That's cool - pistol cool! That's a great looking ram as well. Thanks for sharing and we'll be looking for that video link...

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Like I said, it's not as cool as a bow hunt but still unique.
    Although I was expecting 50 yards and open sights, it most definitely is quite unique and I congratulate you...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That is so cool! Not sure why you keep saying it's not as cool as getting one with a bow - from all the sheep stories I've read, taking one with a handgun sure is unique!

Very nice ram, indeed! Thanks for sharing, and hats off to your brother for getting your butt out the door and up the mountain.

Dude! That is waaay cool - and a fine ram. Great memories - well done!

Nice shooting, and congrats on the sheep. Were you able to recover the bullet would be interesting to see how it performed. I will be carrying my XP-100 in 35 Rem for the remainder of the season. Hope to connect on a moose or still have DC485 to fill.

Default Ram with pistol 2016

I use to know a couple of guys that lived in Fairbanks that sheep hunted exclusively with the XP-100, they always seemed to do quite well with them. Congrat on your sheep, he's a beaut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdterrier View Post
    Nice shooting, and congrats on the sheep. Were you able to recover the bullet would be interesting to see how it performed. I will be carrying my XP-100 in 35 Rem for the remainder of the season. Hope to connect on a moose or still have DC485 to fill.
    The bullet went all the way through. We did not recover it, but it did do a lot of damage and didn't appear to fragment. It would have been nice to find it so I could see how the mechanical bond on the ELD-X bullet held up.

I'll see what I can do about pirating the kill shot video from my brother.

Outstanding and congrats on taking the time to know what you and your gun was capable of before the hunt!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Beautiful ram and even more amazing trophy with a pistol. Congradulations on the trophy!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Awesome adventure. I'm a bowhunter, but once I started handgun hunting I found that I love it! I think taking it with a hangun is just cool and a great trophy to show for it.

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    The ram was somewhere in the wrangle mountains area.
    Sounds like you wrangled one out of the Wrangells.

No coordinates - WTH?!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast