Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argo? Mudd Ox? Max? Cushman?

Default Argo? Mudd Ox? Max? Cushman?

Looking for an Argo type vehicle. Have seen many out there. The Cushman traxters are old, but I am familiar with them. The Mudd OX looks impressive but seem expensive (I know you get what you pay for). The Argo seems to have been around awhile. The MAx's too seem like an Argo clone.

I am trying to get experiences here and real world info. Would like something amphibious. So if amphibious does the State count you as a boat for stream crossings? What about the weight limits (1500 lbs?) for some parts of the State, how restrictive are those? Which ones work well in the winter? Do you need tracks for summer?

I know a traditional side by side isn't going to work for me with the streams and swamps I have to cross.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanx

If you decide on Mudd Ox,, I'm looking to buy a plane and would sell mine. They all have pros and cons,, do your homework before you spend your cash.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That's why I am here Trying to get some help on my homework. I figured this Fall after season would be a good time to buy. That is another question the "new or used" dilemma?

And Stid thanx for supporting RHAK!!!!

I was in the same situation and ended up with an Argo. Wasn't a real fan before owning one, but knew I needed amphibious to get to my cabin. After running it in once, I really like it! It performed better than expected and the ride was not at all as rough many people lead you to believe. I am sold on it now!! If you are going into swampy, muddy, wet grass areas......go amphibious.

I see that Mudd-ox just released a new vehicle last week. It starts around 15K...so it may be worth looking at.

I do not believe crossing streams with it would make you need a boat registration.

Enjoy the search. Lots of go info out there. Check out the site called: 6x6world dot com....lots of good info there about all the manufacturers.
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Here is the link to the new Mudd-ox: http://muddox.net/

Here is the link to the Argo dealer in Anchorage: http://www.allseasonsargo.com/

They seem very helpful to me so far. If they are not busy with other customers, they seemed to have time to "chit-chat" about Argos if you are just looking for Argo education.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Crossing streams: I believe since you are floating you can cross salmon bearing streams unlike an ATV, but I do not believe it would need registered as a boat.

I think tracks are good for muskeg, but don't paddle in water as well, wheels for hardpack rockier areas (no experience with argos, just have looked at them in the past)

For what it's worth I wasn't able to get a definite answer from DNR regarding the 1500lb limit. The limit is for "curb weight" which is fuel but no cargo or riders. The standard definition is "vehicle with full operating fluids and standard equipment." Whoever answers email at DNR said it would also include user added accessories such as winches, cab enclosures, tracks, etc. but was unable to direct me to a written definition or regulation. Many vehicles are above the limit (either stock or with the accessories) and seem to operate without any trouble. I would look for a manufacturer's weight below the limit. I figure as long as the manufacturer's listed "curb" or "wet" weight is below 1500lbs, and you aren't tearing everything up there shouldn't be an issue.

If you see the "How do you like your Side by side with tracks?" thread, there is a summary of what I found for winter and summer access from state, BLM, Parks, etc.

stid what are you asking for your mudd ox?

Quote Originally Posted by dukechristiansen View Post
    stid what are you asking for your mudd ox?

23K, Has the HP and cooling upgrades. Prices includes plow, tracks and a few spare parts.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Having friends who have 2 8-wheeled Argos (regular ones, not the Centaurs) and a 1 with a 2010 MuddOx w/ 60hrs on it, I'm no expert, but here's my .02 regarding going out in them on several occasions..
    They have gas engines, I couldn't really tell any differences in performance between the two. Now with the Ox diesel, I haven't heard much on that except the price is grotesque for one, but the mileage is great.
    The Ox's under belly has more ground clearance (semi tunneled) and in a floating situation, it doesn't float as high (way less freeboard) as an Argo with a flat bottom. Because of that, the Ox is way "tippier" when in floating situations too. And that was empty without a bunch of weight in it...
    I didn't like that too much..
    Hauling a load on solid ground is splitting hairs between the two, as is dragging a trailer behind it...
    They both have enough options available to drain any bank account, but to each is own, right.....
    The ride is "bumpier' then a 4-wheeler or a SxS, there's NO suspension, but manageable for those with healthy backs/hips. I wouldn't go taking my 83yo grandpa out on a 25 mile run with it for moose knowing he's already got a bad back, it won't help it any by the end of the day..
    The Argos don't have tracks, but the Airedale (sp) tracks on the Ox are great in mud, muskeg, and deep snow, ain't worth a **** on ice though.
    But what is?
    The Ox went out this late spring and on a snow packed maintained trail, it promptly blew the hydraulic motor 3 miles in. It got really hot for some reason and melted the plastic, hoses, and items around it. It's gonna be an expensive fix, it's still sitting... The 6x6 Ranger with it at the time (without tracks) pulled it back to the truck effortlessly with the Ox in Neutral...
    That's about all I've got...

My uncle who used to own a Mudd-ox got tired of the lengthy expensive repairs, or it breaking down on him miles from the trailhead.

He now has a ranger 6x6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How tough is the terrain?
    How deep are your pockets?
    Land Tamer: http://www.landtamer.com

Little heavy but this would be my choice http://foremost.ca/foremost-mobile-e...s/nodwell-320/
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

You Tube has some videos showing Argos, Mud Ox , etc. I think if I win the lottery I will get an 8 wheel Argo with tracks and all the fancy accessories and teach my wife how to drive it.

About that lottery........

Give the ones at All Season a test drive and get in touch with https://www.argoadventure.com/crm.asp?action=contactus
    They have the best deals on parts and Argos. He often knows people that are hauling mutliple Argos up each spring and you can get one hauled up and save a TON over the local dealer.

My buddy had a mudd ox and we were always fixing it up until he sold it

Quote Originally Posted by aknome View Post
    How tough is the terrain?
    How deep are your pockets?
    Land Tamer: http://www.landtamer.com
    The Land Tamer is quite the rig. A few years ago I was bent on getting one with an agreement with the Wife that I would finish the house remodel and add on and then she was all for it. If you fly down to the factory in Townsend Montana for a tour and test and actually buy one the would pay for your trip....they are spendy set up.
    I also was oogling over the Hydratrek which is a step above the Land Tamer. In the end I realize such a machine would be amazing but not necessary, then there's the ever threat of weight limits on our lands. I'll make do with the 6x6 and atvs.....but what a machine! http://www.hydratrek.com/

JR2, My uncle was the Nodwell/Foremost dealer for Alaska so I know all about those. I was worried as cwoods was about current and future weight restrictions too. Hopefully someday the Gov't will go with a PSI rather than weight. I believe AOC is pushing for that. Gokorn1 I will be Pheasant hunting in SD next week so I may have to take a side trip to see Argoadventures.

The problem with the smaller ATV is they need a trailer and the trailer turn into a anchor in mud. This bad boy not only floats. The trailer is hydraulic power and can push the tracker through a bad spot.

[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    JR2, My uncle was the Nodwell/Foremost dealer for Alaska so I know all about those. I was worried as cwoods was about current and future weight restrictions too. Hopefully someday the Gov't will go with a PSI rather than weight. I believe AOC is pushing for that. Gokorn1 I will be Pheasant hunting in SD next week so I may have to take a side trip to see Argoadventures.
    I drove Nodwells on the slope for a winter a long time ago. Awesome machine but super heavy and you learn to hate growser bars.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    The problem with the smaller ATV is they need a trailer and the trailer turn into a anchor in mud. This bad boy not only floats. The trailer is hydraulic power and can push the tracker through a bad spot.

[/URL]
    Cool. You can do something similar (ref: trailer pushes the front part through the mud) with two machines.... just need a buddy to drive the second.

I have no experience with Muddox. Argos have served me well. A few friends liked them too. One friend is thinking of selling one, but that's to upgrade to a newer model. Another friend is considering buying a second.

Could discuss advantages/disadvantages or this versus that. I'd recommend one with tracks as they seem softens the ride and lessen damage from rocks/sticks to the wheels. Plus tracks get you into country you'll think you shouldn't be in.

I should recommend don't get one .... as who needs more argos out there getting into country I can more easily access. So short of that, I recommend the OP test drive for their situation.

I seen a lot of ATV stuck with out a trailer and never seen or even consider using a 2nd one to push it through the mud. I think you would end up with two stuck machines or tearing them up. Is that how you get out of a mud hole?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast