Thread: Salt Water Boats

Default Salt Water Boats

One piece of advice that I see missing from Saltwater boat recommendations is fuel capacity. Get the biggest fuel tank you can.
    A 24ft boat with 80 gallons of fuel don't leave much margin for error. If you go out of Whittier the tunnel folks don't like extra fuel containers.
    MArk

Times 2 to this. Have a 24' with 90 gallons, which is plenty for Seward and Homer, but I carry 2, 15 gallon externals in the Sound and still wish Imhad a few more gallons.
    The Tug is the Drug
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - Evinrude Etec 225 - "Eagle VI"

x3! I wish I had 200+ gallons instead of having to carry barrels. It's part of the cost of buying used that you get what's already been built but I'd sure like to add at least another 75 gallons.

My 24 xl seasport carries 120 gallons. I woild love to add another 50-60. I have room as the boat has a cavernous fish hold and another hold that I use for storage. Havent done much research on what it would take to add another tank that would sit in one of those holds. Thoughts?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Google "flexible boat fuel bladders" and see what you come up with. There are companies who will make them to fit your fish holds. I see one on Defender that is 52 gallons for $599. I first came across these things from Pacific Coast Fishing Magazine. The So Cal guys use them a lot for offshore adventures. You can get them made up how ever and when you are done they stow easily at home or on the boat.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Google "flexible boat fuel bladders" and see what you come up with. There are companies who will make them to fit your fish holds. I see one on Defender that is 52 gallons for $599. I first came across these things from Pacific Coast Fishing Magazine. The So Cal guys use them a lot for offshore adventures. You can get them made up how ever and when you are done they stow easily at home or on the boat.

Sobie2
    How do you get the fuel out and into the main tank?

I pulled out all the furniture/table/floor and took my boat back to Glacier Craft. They rearranged the water and diesel tank and squeezed in and plumbed another 135 gallon tank. Then I reinstalled all the furniture/table/floor. So I now have a 270 gallon capacity and a 500 mile on step range. since I did a lot of the work the price was pretty reasonable as was the turnaround. I worried about the weigh and the placement (under the cabin floor as far back as possible) of the new fuel tank but was pleasantly surprised on the last trip to Valdez from Whittier. I did not notice any appreciable decrease in power and the boat actually rode better and sat a little higher in the stern. There was also less roll. Don't remember the exact cost but I do remember it was short of $2500. Far less then the back/hernia surgery bill from toting around 15/30 gallon fuel containers multiple times and a lot safer.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Ebbitide - Can you actually get 135 gallons in your main tank? I can only get 118 in mine but it was suppose to be a 135 gallon tank.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    How do you get the fuel out and into the main tank?
    If you store them higher than your main tank, you just run a hose from them to your tank and give the bladder squeeze to start the siphon. Never used them but have heard they work real well.

I hook my fuel bladder right up to the main fuel system. There's a few valves that turn the boat tanks off and a quick disconnect in the hose from bladder to the fuel system. I just put the bladder on the back deck and use it first. Then roll it up and put it below deck for the rest of the trip.

I put 131.xxx gallons in the tank om its first fill. I think the amount varies depending on how it sits on the trailer or at the dock.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    I put 131.xxx gallons in the tank om its first fill. I think the amount varies depending on how it sits on the trailer or at the dock.
    I have three of the "135" gallon tanks in my GC. I consistently get 125 gallons in each. Doesn't matter if I am at the fuel dock or on the trailer. Never been able to get 135 gallons in any of the three.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Expect many of our various models have room under the deck for a redundant tank, it just takes the time and money to put them in. Since many of these boats are designed and built down in the Pacific Northwest, seems the focus is more on day runs versus week runs. You can see this in how many of their interiors are set up for day trips.

Not sure if folks saw our post in the modification forum, but Bay Weld plumbed in a secondary 53 gal tank into our 24' Hewes Explorer. We could have gone bigger, but I still wanted some storage in the main hold, and we figured the additional 50-ish would work perfect for our needs, which it has. For folks with the Explorers, it was a simple install since the main hold is accessible from the large hatch already, no removing interiors or decking. Since we boxed our transom at the same time, having the tank rearward of the original proved of zero consequence. We did have an initial issue with some fumes from the plumbing, but they promptly identified the issue and fixed it right up.

While triple 150 gallons would give us more range, the 180 gallons has proven perfect for long weekends to Montague, did the whole PWS lap in June/July hitting a lot of side trips along our route of Whittier to Valdez to Cordova and back. It really has been one of the best additions we have made.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.