Thread: Alternative Ideas for Wall Tent Frame?

Default Alternative Ideas for Wall Tent Frame?

Hey folks, here's hoping someone else may have figured out an idea or two for this.

I have a 10X12 wall tent, and solid internal frame made of conduit. The frame is heavy, and bulky, fine for truck camping but I'm looking to pare down for moose hunting on a boat. What I'd like to figure out is an alternative to bringing the internal frame, without necessarily having to build an entire traditional external frame. Ideally something I could make ahead of time and that I could even leave in the bush for next year.

I have heard of Canadian Rangers building a folding ridge pole from 2X4's, (I would love to see pictures to better understand). I've heard about a 3-pole system (ridge pole and 2 uprights) but how would that would fit together - not sure. I like the idea of using a ratchet strap between 2 trees for a ridgepole, though this would be dependent on if your site has the right trees. If you have any ideas or pictures please post. The more portable, versatile, and easy to setup the better.

Can you find decent poles in the woods where you'll be? if so make an A frame with two poles crossing on each end, and the ridge pole across the top. Thread the tent through the ridge pole opening if you have one. You can cut vertical support stakes for the side walls or rig up another pole across the legs of the A frame. Also can substitute a tree to lash the ridge pole to instead of the A frame at one end.

I've set up a wall tent dozens of times, and only one time did we have a frame of some sort, even then it was just 2x4s of the same configuration.

Something like this.

I use poles that I cut in the field. I leave them at the site every year and just transport in the canvas.

Attachment 90298

I think you are pretty much stuck with a frame fitting your tents dimensions. Unless some high tech and light weight frame material is offered by a company that means your frame will be made from aluminum, wood, or some flavor of "plastic" PVC or similar material.

Many years ago I quit using canvas tents and went with the Relite polyester based tent material offered by Montana Canvas. It is so much lighter then canvas. I can't think of any thing canvas tents do better then Relite tents. I will buy a 10x12 foot Relite wall tent from them before next hunting season as I sold my big 12x17 footer last year.

Any way, I encourage you to look up their web site and read about their Relite tent specs and you may find you can "custom design" your own frame from some small diameter PVC or aluminum like Home Depot or other big box stores sell. I am sure you would end up with a much lighter weight 10x12 wall tent camp.

http://alaskatent.com/images/stories...structions.pdf

Check out the attached pdf from Alaska tent and tarp for ideas. I've done the "three metal pole" setup using 2x4 but it was not the most stable tent and is at least a 3 man job to set it up

How about a hybrid of the ratchet strap and A-frames? In theory this would work, but I'm reminded of a Yogi Berra quote about that...

haven't seen that one before!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino YT View Post
    haven't seen that one before!
    Don't you watch any old westerns?.....lol. That was pretty popular way back when. Well, maybe not with the ratchet strap....

Btw....that looks like a pretty heavy horned ram in your avatar. Pics and/or story somewhere?..
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Alternative Ideas for Wall Tent Frame?

Hey folks, here's hoping someone else may have figured out an idea or two for this.

I have a 10X12 wall tent, and solid internal frame made of conduit. The frame is heavy, and bulky, fine for truck camping but I'm looking to pare down for moose hunting on a boat. What I'd like to figure out is an alternative to bringing the internal frame, without necessarily having to build an entire traditional external frame. Ideally something I could make ahead of time and that I could even leave in the bush for next year.

I have heard of Canadian Rangers building a folding ridge pole from 2X4's, (I would love to see pictures to better understand). I've heard about a 3-pole system (ridge pole and 2 uprights) but how would that would fit together - not sure. I like the idea of using a ratchet strap between 2 trees for a ridgepole, though this would be dependent on if your site has the right trees. If you have any ideas or pictures please post. The more portable, versatile, and easy to setup the better.
    Sell it and buy and Arctic oven. Can't beat these tents. But I have always wondered what the difference In weight is between the actually canvas without frame and a full AO12 weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Don't you watch any old westerns?.....lol. That was pretty popular way back when. Well, maybe not with the ratchet strap....
    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

Btw....that looks like a pretty heavy horned ram in your avatar. Pics and/or story somewhere?..

Never posted on that hunt, been meaning to do more of that. Long and short, it was a 12 mile backpack in (I'll have to check my maps it may have been more) and managed to shoot it the same night. Hell of a backpack out though... Thankfully some friends came to lighten the load partway out on day 3.

Never posted on that hunt, been meaning to do more of that. Long and short, it was a 12 mile backpack in (I'll have to check my maps it may have been more) and managed to shoot it the same night. Hell of a backpack out though... Thankfully some friends came to lighten the load partway out on day 3.
    Excellent! Please feel free to post some pics and a story. There's a lot of diehard sheep hunters (and old tuckered out ones too) around here that just can't get enough...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!