Thread: Weekend Ground School Courses

Default Weekend Ground School Courses

I am looking for start working on my PPL and I am going to do it on a budget and stretch it out a little. Is there any recommendations on a weekend Ground School course to get me prepared for the written?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Buy a computer CD or DVD home study course. The weekend deals are too fast to sink-in. You can often find fairly new, yet used CD courses.
    BEWARE: That the FAA has screwed up the testing for the Private Pilot Cert. with the new ACS and new written. So there is all sorts of new info and new tests that suddenly made the older ( more sensible ) test obsolete.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Arctic flyers at Lake Hood is great for that. I've heard Wing Nuts at Wolf Lake is good also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

BTW, if you're talking about a compressed 1 weekend course as noted by FP above, then scratch what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztoak2 View Post
    BTW, if you're talking about a compressed 1 weekend course as noted by FP above, then scratch what I said.

I was just looking for a class on the weekends, not a compressed weekend class

I searched for ground schools and they ranged from 425 to just under a grand. Not too many options. I am currently using sportys online training for 200$ and an ASA private pilot test prep book $20. I would probably look at a different test prep book since this one contains all the other type pilot license questions as well. Not a huge deal though. Sportys will endorse your written once you have passed the sample test twice with a certain score. It has online or cd videos, sample questions, and notecard type studying system that works pretty well. You can review the sections you need help with the most. For a guy/gal completely new into aviation they do a good job at explaining the private pilot stuff all the way to solo. The test prep book is good for me since I like to read and it gives you a quick paragraph to read, then you answer the question and it follows up with a why/why not the question answer is correct.

This is just how I ended up doing it. Saves me a lot of driving time and allows me to study during brakes. Keeps me away from long winded pilot stories, although interesting they may not help me pass the written. The cost is cheaper as well. There are several online courses available (Gleim, King and Sporty's) as well as test prep book. Hoping to get my written done just after the hunting season and hoping to find my a/c for sale as well.

Good luck

I know in your post you are look looking for an in class ground school but I too ended up going the home study route. After looking at price and seeing that my work schedule never did match up classes and talking to other pilots I ended up buying Jeppesens Private Pilot text book, read it cover to cover and then bought the ASA Test Prep study guide. As akpride said above the study guide can be confusing at first but after using it for a couple days I understand the way it is set up and I like it now.

There are a lot of other resources out there worth looking at as well. YouTube actually has a lot good videos some people have even posted the Sporty's DVD collection and Jeppesen DVD collection on there but I know the user that posted jeppesens got taken down. Not trying to advertise for this guy but Jason Shappert at MzeroA.com has a really good collection of videos on YouTube as well as a good study course on his website and is indorsed by AOPA. I even have an app on my phone and tablet that has a study guide with 100% of the questions coming strait out of the ASA test prep book as well as a lot of free reading material and textbooks on it

So what im saying is there is a lot of resources out there for a self motivated person to do this on a budget

I'll have to take a look at the online study guides. I appreciate it guys!

If you have windshield time for audio books, Rod Machados private pilot audio book is great.

I did the King online program and was pretty happy with it, one nice thing is you still have access after completing the test to review things. Other friends have done the UAA course, not sure when it meets.

I recently did my private pilot tests and I used Jeppesen online. I did all the modules over the thanksgiving break last year, so it took me 4 days to complete it. Printed my cert and went and took my written the following Tuesday and passed I believe with a 87%. Now what I did was kinda of a crash course but full disclosure I read the FAA Flying Handbook and the Aeronautical knowledge probably twice before I got up the nerve to decide I was going to get a private certificate and fly. What I found and basically learned is all the courses are derived from the FAA print and the FAR that I mentioned. So you can do it that way if you are a good self learner and I would add I am taking the instrument rating now but at a slower pace.

If I was going to do it over again I would save my money and use the FAA information along with some free internet resources and find a CFI that would sign you off to take a test. Private Pilot Studyon you tube is a free group that offers instruction and q n a sessions regularly. Honestly I think to have to be signed off to go spend your money on a test is stupid to say the least. Your money spend how you see fit.

Now for instrument I feel it is more involved and the course seems to make more sense at this point anyway. I will let you know once I finish. One thing I have seen is in most cases pilots seem to be more than willing as a group to help out new folks. So please ask away.