Thread: Tide running wrong way

Default Tide running wrong way

We were fishing the other day down towards Cape Chacon on the south tip of POW. We anchored about halfway between Cape Chacon and and Stone Rocks in 170', we were 340 yds SE of the 7 fathom rock shown on the chart. With about 3 hrs left on the incoming tide we started fishing and at first I thought I'd read the tide book wrong so I checked and I hadn't, but the tide was running to about 220 degrees, at about 2 hrs before high tide it was running pretty good as I needed 2.5# to stay on the bottom, at slack tide the current subsided and then started up again later in the same direction. What gives, I wish I was computer savvy enough to attach a picture of the chart but here are the #'s 54'43.086 131"59.136

I don't know about you're are, but tide books aren't a concrete science. I've been out here and seen times like you describe. Latest one, the other day I was out, had a 6' morning tide swing and absolutely no current. The afternoon was only 2' and the afternoon had a ripping current. Also seen the books as far off as 2+hrs.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Of course my Navionics app cuts off right at the Canadian border. But a quick search of the current predictor that NOAA puts out offers a clue. Looks like the currents in that area slow down and move the other away for just a very brief period of time and at a much slower rate.

here's a look at the current predictions for South Cape Chacon in 42 feet of water...I hope the links directs you to the right place....
    https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...?id=SEA0708_13

Image snapshot of graph:

Or try this link: and look for Cape Chacon under Dixon Entrance...If you hover over the link, it shows a map roughly pointing out location.
    https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...Stations?g=693

Looks like in deeper waters, the currents are more "Normal"...where as in shallower waters, the currents are heavily weighted in one direction versus the other....

It is caused by the current running by the point causing a back eddy, and when the tide changes direction you end up pointing the same way. I have a few spot out of Homer that do the same thing on bigger tides, and are great spots to fish!

Thanks for all the feedback. Sometimes us guys from Nebraska need some help with all this ocean stuff.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    It is caused by the current running by the point causing a back eddy, and when the tide changes direction you end up pointing the same way. I have a few spot out of Homer that do the same thing on bigger tides, and are great spots to fish!
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh😎