Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just had the absolute worst hunting experience with a guide!

Default Just had the absolute worst hunting experience with a guide!

Paid nearly 15k dollars to hunt a brown bear and after a year of planning I get to camp have 3 days of glassing from the back of his six wheeler as he refuses to hike anywhere we see absolutely zero sign. This morning after glassing again he says well there aren't any fish so no bears, I can put you in my bait stand for black bear and you can come back next year for brown bear. No offer to spike out as we had previously discussed and he spends the day prepping other guides to go hunt bear west of us since the Bears are on the main stem of the river. No refund no nothing but offers to sell me a moose hunt for another $5k. I tell him since we cant hunt brown bear like I had contracted him to do then to give me a partial refund and send me home, tells me to shove it and I have to pay a grand to have the pilot fly with back. Best part is the flight I paid for had all the other guides essentials for their hunts. I never want to hunt again because of this worthless excuse for a guide!

Wow, a nightmare. When i went on a guided hunt we also were disappointed that our guide wasnt working hard. Boy you gotta research you guides well and be clear what you expect! Call one of the guys on this site and see if they will cut you a deal considering your bad experience. Try a late season interior grizzly hunt which should be more available and cheaper but no less thrilling.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Sorry to hear of your experience..........That said, Did you pay $15,K for a three or four day hunt.........??? Do you have a physical restriction that you had to hunt out of Base Operations......??? I agree you had a lame hunt experience, but it feels like there is more to this story, Why were you not sent to a different location.......??? Why was the guide dealing with quartermaster/administration things and not guiding......??? Roughly.....just very, very, very roughly, what part of Alaska was this....???

Sorry to hear of your poor experience, not all guides are that lame😀

Your hunt fee did not include bush travel logistics? Sorry about the poor experience, do you mind expanding on the situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no physical limitations but he was fat and way out of shape, he kept his dog with him at his cabin so he couldn't go far from the cabin

I'm selling off all my hunting gear to pay for this fiasco so if anyone is interested I have tons of kuiu clothing/packs, eureka 4 season 3 person tent, full custom lightweight .300 win mag on a 700 action, wiggys ground pads, stoves, cooking gear, men's size 9 meindl boots and lots of other stuff.

Sorry to hear this. As someone who lives in Alaska, it's never good to see reports like this. The guides bring a lot of money to our state and some of it even stays here.

Seems like it would be really hard to choose a guide if a person is going in totally cold without really good, known references. Hope there was at least something good that came of it.

Again sorry for your negative guide experience. I am having trouble seeing this very clearly, He/She is a licensed Registered or Master Guide with several guides working for him/her...........???

Quote Originally Posted by ak_in_ca View Post
    Paid nearly 15k dollars to hunt a brown bear and after a year of planning I get to camp have 3 days of glassing from the back of his six wheeler as he refuses to hike anywhere we see absolutely zero sign. This morning after glassing again he says well there aren't any fish so no bears, I can put you in my bait stand for black bear and you can come back next year for brown bear. No offer to spike out as we had previously discussed and he spends the day prepping other guides to go hunt bear west of us since the Bears are on the main stem of the river. No refund no nothing but offers to sell me a moose hunt for another $5k. I tell him since we cant hunt brown bear like I had contracted him to do then to give me a partial refund and send me home, tells me to shove it and I have to pay a grand to have the pilot fly with back. Best part is the flight I paid for had all the other guides essentials for their hunts. I never want to hunt again because of this worthless excuse for a guide!

I'm selling off all my hunting gear to pay for this fiasco so if anyone is interested I have tons of kuiu clothing/packs, eureka 4 season 3 person tent, full custom lightweight .300 win mag on a 700 action, wiggys ground pads, stoves, cooking gear, men's size 9 meindl boots and lots of other stuff.
    Best advice that I can give is to make no major decisions when in times of grief. Selling all your hunting gear is a MAJOR decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about such a terrible experience. Take some time off but done sell everything, you will regret it. There is no way I'd sell everything because of someone else. I love hunting and the outdoors too much for it to come to that.

Him being fat and way out of shape........I can tell you that roughly half or more of the "CONTRACT" signing Registered/Master Guides are fat and WAY out of shape, Some are even BLIND, and there have been some who were DEAD. There have been some who knew zero about hunting or guiding, I am unclear about why you booked a four day bear hunt, and why you were not sent out with an other guide.

I had no physical limitations but he was fat and way out of shape, he kept his dog with him at his cabin so he couldn't go far from the cabin

So if you do decide to sell your stuff which I would advise against at least for a little while. What do you have and what size? Mostly interested in the kuiu

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

He seems to use his cabin as a base camp for other guides who actually hunt

Too bad that you did not have a # 10 can of general purpose "Wooop'ass in your kit.

http://6dollarshirts.com/can-of-whoop-ass

He seems to use his cabin as a base camp for other guides who actually hunt

A guide contract goes both ways and if he failed to do what he signed you up for civil court might just be the ticket. The price you paid should cover at least a ten day hunt. Foe sure file complaint with state. You didn't get a bear but you might bag a fat guide.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It might be worth contacting the Big Game Commercial Services Board. They may be able to help you file a complaint or at least see what your options are.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-30-2016 at 06:27.

I'm filing a lawsuit against him and have filed a complaint with the Alaska professional hunting guide association. Guy didn't even have his bait stands posted until I got there and seemed to be using my hunt to fund the start of his season, all my gear is officially sold and it sucks that this guy completely killed my love of hunting, I will miss it greatly but will focus the extra money into my fishing efforts and buying my property on the kenai. I wish the boards would let me post this guys info to prevent others from experiencing the same thing I did. He's truly a con artist ripping off the hunting community

If one bad experience like this is going to make you sell your gear and quit hunting then it's safe to say it wasn't in your blood in the first place. I've had a bad experience on a guided hunt and like you in the shortcomings of the hunt I wanted to give up hunting, but after some time and thought I knew I just couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Him being fat and way out of shape........I can tell you that roughly half or more of the "CONTRACT" signing Registered/Master Guides are fat and WAY out of shape, Some are even BLIND, and there have been some who were DEAD. There have been some who knew zero about hunting or guiding, I am unclear about why you booked a four day bear hunt, and why you were not sent out with an other guide.
    I booked a 7 day hunt total 9 days with travel to and from the field. He told me that because the Bears weren't around because no salmon were in the tiny creek near his cabin that we could only continue to glass the same meadow 1 mile from his cabin if I wanted to stay for the other 4 days. He said he would fit me in to his schedule for next season at no cost "except bush flights, tags, license" when he didn't have other hunters. I grew up in Alaska and unfortunately as a non resident now I must hunt brown bear with a guide. I know enough about the animals and hunting to know when I'm being screwed, this guy is running a con. All the bear photos he sent me were from when he was on lease land 2 years ago in another hunting unit and has not posted a single picture of a brown bear taken in his current area.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast