Thread: Moose calling advice

Default Moose calling advice

OK all you moose experts -- I need your advice on the timing & duration of moose calling. I think I've got the sounds (cow call and grunt) down pretty well, but really don't have a sense of when to call (time of day), how long the bouts of calling should last (5 minutes, 1/2-hr, ...?), or how frequently (once & done for the day, only sunrise/sunset, several times throughout the day, or ...)? Thanks for your replies!

1/2 hour per session and at least 1 early morning and 1 evening in the exact same location....during high rut activity you can throw a mid day callin session in as well. I would check out the "Love Thunder & Bull" moose calling videos from Wayne Kubat...they are helpful and address alot of questions.

Thanks - that makes sense to me, but is totally different from the only previous advice I'd gotten which was to call early AM then completely shut up for a day or even two before calling again -- which I suppose could also make sense, but seems like it puts all the eggs into one basket for timing (what if Mr. Big didn't just happen to be within earshot at that one time?).

Anyone else have a different strategy or agree with one of the other of those two approaches?

YouTube has some pretty good videos. I like this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36q8sHC6Kg4 I've used his technique with success in the past, and hopefully again next week.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by greatland View Post
    Thanks - that makes sense to me, but is totally different from the only previous advice I'd gotten which was to call early AM then completely shut up for a day or even two before calling again -- which I suppose could also make sense, but seems like it puts all the eggs into one basket for timing (what if Mr. Big didn't just happen to be within earshot at that one time?).

Anyone else have a different strategy or agree with one of the other of those two approaches?
    That might be some of the worst advice I've heard. Call early, dark or at sun break. I do 20 minutes of brush raking and limb snapping. We usually stop around 10:30 or 11, but I've called them in around noon. Start again in late afternoon all the way through dark. Quite often you can bring one close at night and get him the next morning.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

There is no perfect call. I had a cow fall in love with our yellow airport safety suburban. Generally, though, anytime you move you should try to mimic the sounds of a moose. Whether bull, cow or calf, depends on your attitude of the day. You will make noise when you travel; moose will hear you. So try to sound like a moose. Later in the rut, low bull grunts as you walk. Lots of stops and pauses in your walking cadence, any time of season. Occasional tending grunts anytime of the year. Early season, easy on the cow calling, heavy on the brush raking. Light sparring sounds with an antler, stick, ax, or paddle. As the rut kicks in, more bull noises and some fighting type sounds. Estrous cow calls.

Rules are totally different between heavy hunted areas and lightly hunted ones. Heavily hunted moose become very quiet ghosts and easily over called.

Thanks Folks -- checked out the linked videos & some others -- starting to "get it" (I think) -- will let you know after the season (for me, that's Sep.10-17) -- good luck to all of you. Still listening if others have thoughts on calling!

Phish n bambi both have good advice. I do a mix of both. Lotttsss of patience is the best tip. Never stop trying. If you have moose around eventually one will get in the mood to visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm up just before sunrise and use a combination of cow calls, bush thrashing, pouring water into the river/swamp to mimick the sound of a moose peeing, and walking in shallow water swooshing my feet (yes that's a technical term). Each calling session is only a few minutes, and then I wait at least 15 minutes between calls. I keep going till about 11am, and then start again at 4pm and go until dark. In between calls I'm standing as silent as possible waiting for the faintest grunt. It's more work than most people realize, especially if you've gone a few days without a response but hard work tends to pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    That might be some of the worst advice I've heard. Call early, dark or at sun break. I do 20 minutes of brush raking and limb snapping. We usually stop around 10:30 or 11, but I've called them in around noon. Start again in late afternoon all the way through dark. Quite often you can bring one close at night and get him the next morning.
    I agree. I've called them in anytime throughout the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

That might be some of the worst advice I've heard..
    That's for sure. Sometimes it takes a few days for bulls to eventually get to your area after hearing the calls from a long ways off. You may not see anything for a day or two then all of a sudden they'll be all over. How's that gonna happen if you shut up and don't call...???

Call early, dark or at sun break. I do 20 minutes of brush raking and limb snapping. We usually stop around 10:30 or 11, but I've called them in around noon. Start again in late afternoon all the way through dark. Quite often you can bring one close at night and get him the next morning.
    Agreed. Personally I don't use cow calls much and have had most my luck with grunts and raking. If you do decide to go for a walk, walk slow and use an antler, scapula, or oil jug to tap on the trees and brush as you walk. I know a guy that swears by dragging an antler behind him as he walks. Although for the most part, early and late is better, but I've called bulls in at all times of the day. Just depends on how good the rut is progressing and how the temp is. Bulls tend to be more active when it's cooler out.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Just depends on how good the rut is progressing and how the temp is. Bulls tend to be more active when it's cooler out.
    That's the truth. Really hoping we get a cold snap next week but it's not shaping up that way unfortunately. C'mon fall!!!
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.