Thread: Big Boat and a Koyukuk Trip?

Default Big Boat and a Koyukuk Trip?

I've seen several posts about folks taking their 26ft Hewescrafts from the Yukon River Bridge to the Koyukuk to moose hunt. Am I crazy to think I could take our Glaceir Craft 27ft Coho on the same trip? It's definitely bigger than our last boat which was a 26ft Hewes PC but doesn't seem to draft that much more. I've got a friend with good intel on a track but wanted to see what folks thought. Obviously gas will be costly but for a 10-14 day hunt for two, it seems pretty reasonable.

The barge companies make that trip and draw more water than you will. They are going slow and get stuck now & then. Just dont take any shortcuts...!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

If you go please keep us updated! I have the same boat and have thought about doing the same trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be next year but trying to start thinking now about logistics. Just wantin advice on the feasibility.

I have done the trip three time in my Hewes and have been fine each time. There will be places that you could have problems once you leave the Yukon but that could be season dependent. If its a wet year you would be fine if a dry year it could be tough on the Koyukuk river like areas of long stretch. It's all well and good if you have tracks from someone else's trip and they can be very helpful but remember the river changes and you have to be able to read the river. Tracks are a guide line only.

Fuel: get it at every stop because it cost more when you get to Galena and that will be your last fuel stop. Depending on what your fuel consumption and in hull tank capacity will dictate how much you need to bring extra in 15gal jugs. Normally I will bring 8 jugs 15gals per jug +160 gal in hull. I will average 2 to 2.5 miles per gal going down stream and it does not get any better coming back because you trade out fuel weight for meat weight.
    I hope this helps Attachment 90291

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

We did the Koyukuk last year in a friends Hewes OP, it was perfect and were able to go essentially everywhere as it was a wetter year. Saw boats bigger than what your thinking about. There are some big boats making that trip. Expect one of these days I will head down there again and take our Pacific Explorer.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Thanks to everyone for the info. What can you tell me about how to prepare, what to expect and what I should be thinking about? It's quite the adventure, which makes it all the more fun, but I'm all about being prepared.

Thanks again for the help and keep the info coming. Feel free to IM as well!